5 b south elk archery

mdbrown

Long Time Member
anyone got any good elk stories in 5 b south? according to the AZ f&g web page i will pretty much have to search hard to find an area without elk tracks in it. i would like to shoot a 330 + bull , but if not im ok with that if there is only slim chance of finding one like that. i put in for that hunt knowing its not a 400 inch type unit. is there a certian kind of genitics the area is known for. Larry

Mb

I have hunted the unit 5Bs several years and I have scouted it many many time. but, I have never seen any bulls that were close to 300. My partner and I both killed two bulls in 5Bs during rifle season and they were 275 (5x5) and 290 (6X6). Scouting we did see two gentelman who kill two during bow season that were at least 300, they were killed up near Cow Hill.

The Boss

LAST EDITED ON Mar-31-11 AT 06:30PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-31-11 AT 06:28?PM (MST)

I also have hunted 5bs for years and i have seen many 300 class bulls and bigger throughout the unit. Last year i called in a 330" 6x8 bull that my brother shot on the 3rd day of the hunt.We went 4 for 4 last year in our camp.You should have no problem finding a 300+ bull as long as you put your time in and scout...Good luck!

Lots of elk during that hunt and you should be able to look over a lot of bulls. Lots of 300 class bulls and if you hunt hard I think you should encounter a few that you would be very happy with. Had the same tag in '06 - lots of fun.

Ryan

I shot this 6x8 bull last year in 5BS on the third day of the hunt. There is alot of 250- 300 bulls in the unit but if you hold out it is possible to shoot 320+ bull. The elk usually bugle really good in this unit, if you are not into bugling bulls then relocate as there will be areas in the unit with bugling action. This bull was bugling at 42 yards laying down looking the other way from me. I waited 10 minutes for him to stand up and shot him quartering away from me and the bull went 10 feet and hit the dirt. This bull scored 327". Dan
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/2199new_086_-1.jpg

Nice unit. I've hunted it twice, helping a good friend once and my son the other time. My buddy shot a small 6 pt. that was a total freak, and the biggest bulls we saw on his hunt would have been mid to upper 340s or a bit better.

One my son's hunt, he killed a 6x5 that grossed 334. Not bad for a 16 year old on his first elk hunt. He nearly killed a very big 6x7 two days earlier, and I'm very confident that bull would have grossed around 360. It was the biggest bull I've seen on 5bS, but I've seen a more than a few that were north of 330. Put in your time, hunt the whole season and you should have a realy nice hunt.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom