51 Cow Hunt

Brian

Was able to grab a 51 cow tag from the leftover list for my son and was looking for some options and help. I've been told the northern end of the unit can be good but don't know much from there. This will be his first hunt and I'd like him to see some action. Thanks for your help!

This unit is tricky. little to no public land. I have hunted all of the unit for elk. Base your search around Rampart Range road.
Very southern part has wallows and meadows on both sides of the road. Central around Devils head has elk that move in an out of the Jackson creek drainage. Rainbow falls area can also produce. Norhtern part of the unit above Roxbourough has elk but a lot of hikers and bikers in that area. In the northern part of of the unit you can drop in from Indian creek trail head. This unit has elk just not easy to find sign because of the soil combination does not leave tracks it is so full of granite pebbles.

I sent you an email with some info. Actually the unit has a ton of public land, unfortunately most of the elk are on private. I can see a few huge bulls on private almost every day lately on my way home from work.
If your son is a youth, Check out Storm Peak outfitters. I think for a reasonable fee they will take youth out for a cow hunt. Otherwise focus on the areas mentioned above as well as the areas I sent you.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom