5B Bowhunt

gabe2hunt

Any tips on hunting 5B. First time to draw this area. I guided 5B on a ranch several years ago but never hunted the NF. I'm sure I can locate bulls bugling but a stating point would be nice!

Most of the unit was absorbed by unit 51 this year. All that is left of 5B is the west side of the Chama River, near LLaves, NM. Drew that tag last year, was a waste of time IMO. Too hot, dry and that area seems to be a wintering ground for the elk, not too many resident elk in September. Good luck.......

Scout this location(horses are good)Ojitos Canyon area, Call the local Warden he will have some good infor for that area and they are willing to help. Good Luck

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Thanks any help is a plus! Three years ago I hunted the Navajo for elk I talked to an old Navajo Sheep herder who told me he herded sheep all his life in the area I was planning on hunting. He laughed at me and told me I'd better go to Quemado to find elk! That very afternoon I called in a 5x5 bull that I had no shot on and arrowed a nice 6x6 the next morning. Just goes to show that elk are expanding and can be found in areas that are not typically well known to hold elk.

X2 on Ojitos Canyon. If you can get way back in there you will likely find them in the dark timber. I walked the piss out of that area last April and picked up 6 sets of good freshly dropped elk antlers (along with about ~25 deer antlers). however, they may just be wintering there as someone else indicated. best of luck.

Heard a few guys have been into elk(bugling) almost the whole time(3days) they been hunting. hope evryone are having a great time. Let hear how the hunt finished up for the archery guys

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom