6.0 Powerstroke

ElkPoint

Hi all, I'm looking at buying a 6.0 powerstroke and wanted to get some oppinions from those who have or have had one. I am looking at 05 to 07. I will be pulling a smaller work trailer every day and occasionally my polaris ranger, that is about it for now. What kind of gas mileage can I expect to get? Any problems with them? Thanks in advance. ElkPoint

Junk! Don't do it!

Ask lumpy...

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

i had a 06, 6.0. bought it new and sold it with 35k miles. i never had a problem with it. 20 miles to gal and 14 towing a 6x10 enclosed trailer. i needed a 4x4 so i sold it.

You're shhhittin me right?

Turbo Trouble!

Injector Trouble!

EGR Tube cracking!

Radiators do not hold up!

Want me to keep going?

Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

i have a 06 1 ton,80,000 miles never had a bit of problems.

a few aftermarket additions.

the 6.0 aint got a good rep,but iv'e had good luck with it.

it will belch as much smoke as any of them.

"if you want some get some...if your bad enough come take some"

"it will belch as much smoke as any of them."

Maybe there is a Good 6.0 Power Joke?:D

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

Don't waste your money! Dad had one, went through 3 turbos, injector problems the whole nine yards. Truck was one problem to the next. Get a cummins, period end of story.

Coloradoboy

STTM,

of course there is a good 6.0.....not many though.:(

"if you want some get some...if your bad enough come take some"(

STTM is spot on!

I'll add the FICM, the high pressure oil rail leaks, and the tsb about wiring harness chaffing to his list.

A brief description of one of the problems...
The 6.0 used a hydraulic type injector. Small electric solenoids control valves which allow high pressure oil to actuate a plunger, injecting the diesel. Ford found that the 6.0 had difficulty cold starting because the oil used for actuating the injector was cold. So the weisenheimers at Ford decided to reflash the start sequence to solve the cold start problem. They ran current through both sides of the solenoid coils at the same time to generate heat and warm up the oil in the injector. Brilliant! The coils operate at 48 volts. So the fuel injection control module stepped up 12v to 48v. The problem was if the batteries were low (like from turning a diesel starter or heating up glo-plugs). The ficm would try to step up 48 volts from something less then 12 which would draw more amperage then the ficm was designed to dissipate the heat from and it would literally melt the pc board or blow the components right off the card.

Did anyone mention the 6 cd changer failing? Not a problem if you don't need music.

however....If you are mechanical and don't mind wrenching then you can go through and correct the problems and when you're all done, you'll have a good running rig, maybe.

I own an 04 and I love it. Never had a lick of problems with itand I tow all the time. Fully loaded 27 foot enclosed mostly whether it be sleds or wheelers. I have owned two cummins and my ford will out pull them by far. My father also owns a 05 and he has 120 thousand miles and has been a great truck. I think he just recently replaced injectors. I would say go for it

DON'T DO IT!!!

I had an 05 powerjoke. 15 mpg around town with a tuner installed. When I pulled my 36' 5th wheel it went down to 8 mpg. Pulling trips it overheated!!!

Gawd I miss my 7.3...

My son bought a 6.0 when they first came out. Big Big mistake on his part. While under warranty the turbo went out three times. On last repair they even bought in techs from the main plant to examine the problem. Seems it might have been a problem with getting enought oil to lubicate the high revving turbo. Bad design feature on the early ones.
The head mechanic at the Ford dealership told my son to sell the damn thing after the last repair because he found metal shavings in the oil. Son nows drives a Dodge Cummings.

I have a F250 7.3 and would not trade it for anything on the road today. Not one lick of problems and about 15-16 MPG while towing a 26 ft. R.V. trailer.

RELH

Thanks for all the comments. I have heard they worked out all the kinks after the first two years models. I have also heard nothing but good things about the 7.3 but it's hard to find one with descent miles.

i think its quite funny to hear all the guys rail on the 6.0 high pressure oil system to run the injectors. then in the next breath they rave about the old 7.3 injection system not understanding that they both use a heui system. funny crap if you ask me.

our arm chair technicians are about as useful as our arm chair biologists.

there are some damn good things about the 6.0. if youre a ford guy and switch to another brand tou will probably regret it. there some very simple solutions to the typical 6.0 problems. get rid of the egr system and youre set. most of the problems begin right there.

"our arm chair technicians are about as useful as our arm chair biologists".

Just where do you fit in that equation? Are you more qualified then the certified Ford techs that were brought in to work on my son's 6.0 and were baffled by the problem.

RELH

"""i think its quite funny to hear all the guys rail on the 6.0 high pressure oil system to run the injectors. then in the next breath they rave about the old 7.3 injection system not understanding that they both use a heui system. funny crap if you ask me.
our arm chair technicians are about as useful as our arm chair biologists."""""

Well little buddd I am pretty sure he was wanting advice from people who have owned them. I DID NOT SEE anywhere that he was asking for a certified Ford Mechanic's opinion.

There is one way of Testing Trucks!

That's putting them in the real World & let people start using/beating them!(Not Simulated Tests on a Damn Puter!)

Here's the part I find amazing about the Ford 6.0 PowerlessJoke:A few Guys have them & have run them quite a ways with No Problems,95% of other Guys that Bought/Own them are tired of them Living at the Shop!

For you guys Braggin them up,well I've drove them,most HELPLESS/GUTLESS POS at low RPM I've ever drove!

The 7.3's were/are good,not quite as much power as a good running Dodge but at least it would get you back home!

Come drive mine bet you would change your mind about being gutless and low RPM.

I know alot of horrow stories about them but between me and my old man they have been great trucks.

I owned 01 cummins and 07 cummins and my 6.0 has more power than both put together. But like said above I must of just happened on a good one

I've heard all the crap about 6.0's and I believe it, but mine runs and pulls great. I like my cummins better but the 6.0 has not been bad for me.

A Lot of you know or knew my 2003, 6.0. I loved it at first but after a new motor, turbo's,oil coolers, egr valves, injectors, wiring harness and more and more I just couldn't afford it. I have receipts over $35,000.00 dollars I put in the pile of shiz. I have always been a ford man but WOW, i learned my lesson the bad way. The only thing never replaced on it was the tranny and U joints. What a joke of a motor. I was a fool and feel for a pile of junk. The really sad part was after two water pumps from one dealership then I took it to another and they said it was my engine, 6 out of 8 heads double cracked. At this time I was over the 100,000 mileage by 1,500 miles. FYI, be careful.

They are Junk, trust me... Anyone who says otherwise is either in denial or just lucky... The majority of them on the road have had problems.. I would like to sell mine and get the older 7.3...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

>Come drive mine bet you would
>change your mind about being
>gutless and low RPM.
>
>I know alot of horrow stories
>about them but between me
>and my old man they
>have been great trucks.
>
>I owned 01 cummins and 07
>cummins and my 6.0 has
>more power than both put
>together. But like said
>above I must of just
>happened on a good one
>
That must be one HELL of a truck! Lets see, more power than both put together...1200+ ft. Lbs torque and 900+ or - horse power??? I'm sure that's stock and no add ons? ;-) I think your case is denial.:)

Traditional >>>------->

>>Come drive mine bet you would
>>change your mind about being
>>gutless and low RPM.
>>
>>I know alot of horrow stories
>>about them but between me
>>and my old man they
>>have been great trucks.
>>
>>I owned 01 cummins and 07
>>cummins and my 6.0 has
>>more power than both put
>>together. But like said
>>above I must of just
>>happened on a good one
>>
>That must be one HELL of
>a truck! Lets see, more
>power than both put together...1200+
>ft. Lbs torque and 900+
>or - horse power??? I'm
>sure that's stock and no
>add ons? ;-) I think
>your case is denial.:)
>
>
>
>
>
>Traditional >>>------->

Horsecreek

Your right one Hell of a truck. No it was a joke but it has been a great running truck for me. I didnt mind my 01 cummins but my 07 was a pile.

The 6.0l is a good motor, just make sure its not an '03 engine, the '03 engine had all sorts of problems listed with it, but if you go with an '05-'07 model you should be good. I get 23mpg hwy and 17 in town with mine, never had an issue with towing, hauling, anything really. On the other hand had a buddy with an '04 that had the '03 motor and he had nothing but issues.

"Some days its just not worth chewing through the restraints"

WORST IDEA YOU HAVE EVER HAD!I sell parts for em,do youself a favor,if you have to get a ford get one with a 7.3 or better yet get a f550 with a cummins.

>Sorry that I'm stealing your thread,
>but I was wondering how
>good or how bad the
>6.4 ford was ?

The 6.4 is just as bad. the turbos build up with to much carbon. then its off the shop and tear the cab off to work on the motor. fremont motors in sheridan,wy was telling me that the 6.0 and 6.4 kept the mechanic busy during the slow times. there not impressed with them at all.

i have had the 6.0 and the 6.4 as a work truck, both were always in the shop on a monthly visit. the only thing i did like was the cab space.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-11 AT 06:32PM (MST)[p]RELH in fact i am certified ford powerstroke technician. i wonder from the issues you describe if there wasnt a problem with the casting on your sons engine block. we had one that had a restricted oil passageway that had two turbos replaced before we found an oil galley was restricted and wouldnt allow oil up to the turbo. i ended up doing a longblock for that one. there were a bunch of problems early on that left even the engineers scratching their heads.

i would not tell someone to stay away from the 6.0 even though i made a living fixing them everyday. i dont own one but my immediate family has owned seven. 3 currently have over 100,000 miles with no issues. 3 are doing great with over 70,000 miles. one early 03 had multiple problems. when the warranty was up it was ditched in favor of a 2007.

fords numbers as disclosed in the lawsuit against international are that in 03-04 11 percent of 6.0's needed a major repair under warranty. from 05-07 4 percent of them neede a major repair. major repair is defined as a repair that cost more than 2000 dollars in parts and labor.

the bad part is that of the 11 percent of 03-04 trucks that needed repair well over half of them needed multiple major repairs.

my point is if you are looking to buy one make sure you get the warranty history and check it over. if it has one major repair it is very likely to need more.

so to sum up for the original poster, i would look for an 05-07 and if you find one youre interested in pm me. get me the vin number and i can pull the history. good luck to ya

My second choice for a diesel would be a dodge, however I drive a 05 Hemi now and they don't have as much room in the back seat as I'd like.

Desertdeer;

Thanks for the offer, that was appreciated. It was the consensus among the techs that there was a oil lubication restriction that was causing the turbo to fail that many times.
As for buying a 6.0, I would not keep one of it was given to me. I would trade it off before it failed. I love the 7.3 and I love ford trucks, just not the 6.0.

RELH

I have an 6.0 in an Exc. I have had to go through everything that has been brought up. My local shop was not good to deal with. After 18 trips to let them practice, I started fixing it myself. Every model and every engine has its perks.

As desertdeer pointed out, the egr system is the culprit behind many of the issues. However, in Ca we now have to have diesels "smogged" before they will issue registration so I have to leave it "as is". I have found that using an additive has cleared up a lot of the previous egr related issues and has minimized the coking.

If I would have known then what I know now, I would not have purchased the vehicle and I would not recommend it to anyone else. That said, I still have mine with 150k on it and it currently runs great. It loves to stretch out its legs on the open road. I get 22-25 highway and on one leg from Broken Arrow, Ok to Fort Collins, Co I got 27. If something goes wrong, I can usually fix it and if it gets to involved I found a diesel shop with a "retired" ford tech who specializes in 6.0's. They kept him busy. My vehicles have a pretty easy life and I try to maintain them to avoid problems.

Great thread

I must be one of the lucky ones according to most of these guys?
2006 F-350 Crew Cab 4X4?.98,460 miles on it. Have pulled a 38? toy hauler since 2007?also have a 24? cargo trailer I haul bikes around in. Modifications include 4? exhaust from turbo to rear and complete K&N filter system with a programmable superchip.
Since it was bought new in January 2006 it has ?NEVER? been in the shop for any mechanical repairs?

How do I
>send a p.m?

go the message of that person, and on top you will see an envelope. drag your mouse there and a little message will say "send this person a private message", click on it and your set

So Lumpy?

You get Lucky?

Mileage?

Twice as powerful as a cummins?

18 highway
14/15 stop and go in town

maybe i should go by 2lucky,............nay........

still waiting to exhale, you SOBs cost me $2400.00 +/-

Dc

$26,000 on me, $2,400 on ya'll! Proves my insecurity, again. I need to find better friends.
sad.gif

DC

All i can say is finally figured out this computer stuff so i could chat with all my hunting family. My dad has the 6.0 and its crap so far 6000 dollers to fix it and still it runs like junk.

Just got off the phone with my grandpa, he has a 03 6.0 it has 34k on it and spends time in his garage or the ford shop.. He isnt the type to just trade in vehicles, especially one this new but he is really considering it. He has never gotten any better than 17 mpg, never better than 7 loaded light with a camp trailer. He cant remember a time ever putting the truck in 4wd, replaced ball joints twice (done at the dealership), drag link both tie rod ends. TRUCK IS COMPLETELY STOCK DRIVEN FREEWAY AND HIGHWAY MILES ITS ENTIRE LIFE!!! JUNK!!!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom