6,16,17,171,161 Fourth Season Deer

Muleys24Seven

Well I did what I set out not to do...draw a tag with little info on the unit. I've hunted Colorado now 8 years in a row in a decent unit with the plan to save pts and draw 4th season. But with pt creep I wasn't catching any ground so I turned elsewhere.

I applied and drew the 4th season in 6/16/17/171/161 and will be hunting for a big deer. What I'm trying to get a better feel for is the buck quality in these area's. I like the high buck:doe ratio's and limited deer hunters but the feedback I'm getting from the Wardens/Bio's is its not a high quality area for big bucks. Even though it's managed for quality.

I know there's lots of elk hunters every year in that area so maybe those hunters could share what type of deer they've seen. Hopefully someone on here has hunted or spends time in that area and would be willing to share with me the quality and size of bucks they see and what I could expect.

Thanks! And I could trade some info for units in Idaho and/or Region H and G in Wyoming.

Corey

I have hunted in that area for elk for nearly 18 years and can count on one hand the number of bucks that would go over 180".

The last two fall seasons of Archery I've laid my eyes on two really nice bucks. I have been putting 15 days afoot just during each archery season.

Dont get me wrong there are nice bucks just not huge Toads around every other basin or drainage. Last year the deer took a hit due to the late snow that crusted over. North park deer numbers had been doing well coming back from 08 but then they had a rough go late.

Id focus on the aspen and timber edges at the sage for traveling bucks.

My two cents is there are a few 160" bucks but not much more

I spend a ton of time in the units and would agree with the above statements i see a few "nice" deer but few "big" deer then this past fall very few deer. They are around but you will need hard work and luck to score a hoss.

Thanks for the info guys. That's similar to everything else I've heard. Also the B&C entries for deer in Jackson County are relatively low given the size of the county.

I'll keep researching but I may turn the tag back in and continue with the LO voucher.

Thanks again

I had the early high country tag in Zirkle on the west side a couple years ago. Biggest buck I saw was 140-150. I didn't shoot him hoping for something bigger, and never saw one.

I was told by biologists that there are good deer, but they aren't common, and lots of them migrate right out of the state.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom