6.5-06 or 264 Win Mag

MITROLL

Which rifle would you build. I want a light to medium weight rifle. I want to shoot 130-140g bullets preferably over 3000fps. This will be strictly a hunting rifle not target or competition. I think both of these can be built on a standard long action rifle. Correct? Any help or suggestions welcome. Thanks Brian

i put together 2 stevens model 200 short actions and 1 savage long action in 6.5x284. all are shot as single shots. if you can find a 270, 25-06 or 30-06 make it a 6.5-06. if you start with a magnum action go 264 win. mag. with the savage barrel nut, barrel swaps are pretty easy. either cartridge should be able to do 3000fps with a 140. i have been putting 30" target barrels on the ones i put together and they have been shooting pretty good. .355" 5 shot group at 100,2.5" 3 shot group at 600. good luck with your project. ce61

264 Win mag, anything the 6.5-06 can do it can do better.

The 264 is one of my all time favorites, but when I had my Bansner rifle built I went with the 270 WBY , the best rounds in this class of cartridges in my opinion. something to think about.

I would choose the 6.5-06 if I had allready narrowed my choices down to those two.

I agree with the above, 6.5x284 is the best of the lot in my opinion and with it's growing popularity, head stamped brass is not hard to find.

Good luck,

Todd

MITROLL, A friend of mine just had a 6.5-06 built. He is very happy so far. I can put you in touch with him if you'd like. mtmuley

brian, i have been doing the savage barrel swap with a set of hardwood barrel clamps that fit in a vise and a 30 dollar barrel wrench. you set the headspace and tighten the nut. there is plenty of places making savage prefit barrels of any contour,length, caliber, twist. problem with the 6.5x284 is that it won't fit in the clip, o.d. of 6.5x284 brass is .500 while 6.5-06 is .470, which should feed good from any 270, 25 or 30-06. if you want accurate and cheap you can't beat the savage barrel nut system.
a remington with a barrel fitted by a good gunsmith would be a good setup as well. a few bucks more.
also with a savage, you can change the boltface to a magnum boltface and change your 6.5-06 to a 264 win. mag. half the fun in putting together a gun is looking at all the different ways to do stuff and when you get down to it, it's just got to end up like YOU want it to. good luck, ce61

I have a few 264 wins and two 6.5-06's,,You really need a 26 inch barrel on a 264 to max vel.My 6.5-06 's have a 22 and 24 inch barrel, both shoot great..I use my 6.5-06 way more than my 264s..... RIMROCK

Here is another vote for the 6.5/284. I have been debating about building one myself. Speed is great if the gun is accurate enough to put the bullet where it needs to be. The 6.5/284 is superbly accurate. Built on a long action, you can seat the bullets out there a ways and use the case capacity for slightly more speed.

Thanks for all the input. I like the idea of building on a Savage action. Can anyone give me some velocities with the loads you have in the 6.5x 284, 6.5-06 and the 264 wm. Does the 264 have to be built on a magnum action or can it be built on a long action. I would like to save a little weight on the overall rifle. Would the 6.5-284 be sufficient for elk, theres a slim chance that I may do an elk hunt some day. Thanks again, Brian

CE61 What your saying is that the action for the 6.5-06 and the 264 is the same length.? Just would have to change bolt face? Thanks Brian

brian, the savage long action is used for both magnum and standard rounds, both 06 and magnums are about the same size as far as length go.but the magazine is different. the bolt face can be changed to magnum, .473 boltface, such as .308, .270, .243 and 30-06 or even a small boltface like .223. one of the 6.5x284 that i made started as a .223 stevens, changed the boltface, removed the bolt spacer, the part that wouldn't let the action open as far as a .308, changed the trigger, recoil lug, screwed on a 6.5x284 brux target 30" barrel, put it in a choate ultimate varminter stock. 6.5x20 leupold scope. and again, i am shooting this as a single shot, so i am not using the magazine.
a couple of sites to check out are "savage shooters" and google "fred moreo". hope this answers some of your questions, ce61

Mit,

It's gonna depend on what action you
start with. The .264 Win Mag's gonna
take an action with a certain bolt face.
The 6.5-06 is gonna take another.

You need to decide which you're going with
before you snag your action. In a custome rig
I'd probably go 6.5-06, but I sure can't argue
with H'dude that the .264 Win mag's a great round.

If you already have the action, I'd go with which-
ever bolt face you have instead of altering such.

Either round should serve you very, very well.

Wish we'd see some of the Short'mags go to 6.5

I'd snag one.

larry

I kind of went between the two, I have a 6.5-280ai that should be done soon. It will be a Win model 70 push feed on an exhibition stock I did myself. Now its just the darn waiting for the toy to be done and hoping I get a chance to use it yet this year. I have a 6.5-284 in a heavy varmint and like it a lot.

brian, velocity for my 6.5x284 has been 2850 with h4350 and shoots very accurate, gonna up the powder charge and play with seating depth,to see if i can pick up a little more speed. have also tried h100v and had 3000fps but wasn't as accurate. a good place to compare rounds is on the hodgdon powder web site. some of the stuff seems a little slow, but they also tell you amount of pressure developed. and at least you are comparing apples to apples rather than joe schmo telling you with 3 grains over max his gun shoots great and is a deathray! ce61

Thanks Ce61, that clarified things. Now I just need to find a Savage long action. This will we a hunting rifle. Any suggestions on stocks, barrels, lengths, twists. etc. I wan't to shoot 130-140g bullets. Thanks everyone else for your replies also. Brian.

brian, all i have been shooting is sierra 142 matchkings. twist either 1 in 8" or 1 in 8 1/2" ce61

Hey, Bogey, I'm new to some of this gun talk. How would you headspace that cartridge. Do they make guages for that caliber? Also, How do you form your cases? Would that involve fireforming them? It sounds like a pretty cool caliber also. What kind of velocities can you expect with 130's to 140 grain bullets. What length of barrel did you go with? Lots of questions to answer but thanks for your input. Brian

Well I'll try on a few! It will be new to me so the velocities are kind of a guess and estimates based on what others have done. Should be around 3100+/- a little with 130's and 3000 +/- with 140's, I think from what I read I really should be able to get 3100 with 140's with out pushing it. I am not going to be a speed freak with it and will shoot ti at what the gun likes. Basically there are only very little differences between it and the 6.5-06 ackley, I rally chose this version so that I could just use the Nosler 280 ackley brass and have a simple neck down process. Anybody that makes reamers can make you the go and no go gauges for it.(I am letting the gunsmith deal with that) Heck I think we are going with a 25" barrel, but I can't remember what we decided on. If you don't mind carrying more barrel you would gain slightly more velocities. I did the stock a few years back and was waiting to get enough money to have the metal done, I wanted something different and this is what I came up with. It will have a 8.5 twist #4 Bartlien cromoly put on it

Thanks for the info. I think I will stick with the 6.5-06 or AI just to simplify things a bit. I am going build this in stages also. Factory Savage action, then custom barrel, then stock, trigger, recoil lug and possibly trigger guard. Thanks again. Brian

I'm not sure yet. Something for a Savage prefit barrel. Any suggestions? I've narrowed it down to the 6.5-06 or 6.5-06 AI. I would like a 24" sporter weight in a 1 to 8 or 8.5 twist. I want to shoot 130 TSX 's or 130 - 140 Hornady SST's. What I might use is a Savage stainless action with the Accutrigger or the Stevens Model 200 action. I do like the drop down magazine plates better then the top feed magazines on the Model 200. Any suggestions appreciated as always. Thanks Brian

The 6.5x284 will shoot a 140 at 3000 fps. Mine is longthroated. Beware trying to increase velocity with the bigger cases. 6.5's are notorius barrel burners.

The AI can have feeding issues because of the sharp shoulder. For a hunting rifle I would ask myself if the extra 100fps is worth the possible problems.

Mtmuley, I'm narrowing down my choices, I think? I would like to hear more about your friends 6.5-06. If you can get some contact info that would be great. Thanks again, Brian

Hey new to the forum. heres my experiences

I have two 6.5x284s a 264 win mag and a 6.5-06 AI here are my experiences

First 6.5x284 shoots 140 bergers 47.5 re22 cci LR primers at 2850fps very accurate
Remington 700, krieger 24in barrel, 1in8twist, zeiss 6.5-20 scope, boyd laminate thumbhole stock

second 6.5x284 was originally a 256 newton I had rechambered to 6.5x284. I shoot 140 partitions 50.5 re22 cci lr primers at 2800fps Rem 700, pac-nor 24in 1in8twist barrel, Leupold 4.5-14 scope, bell and carlson stock

264 win mag havent finalized a load for this one just played around with it but shot 130 normas 61.5 re22 CCI lrmag primers at 3190 with no signs of pressure group size of .342 should get 3300
Rem 700, lilja 26in octagon barrel 1in9twist, bell and carlson stcock

6.5-06 AI 130 normas 61 re22 CCI LR primers 3270fps under .5"
Savage 110 action, wilson 26" barrel 1in9 twist, bell and carlson stock, bushnell 3200 5-15 tactical scope, handmade tactical knob

The advantage the 264 has over a 6.5-06AI is you can still buy factory rounds. I dont have any problems with the ackley feeding and all I have to do is neck size with it most of the time. For most of these they are close to max loads starting to flatten primers. Its where the accuracy has been the best.

Hi Sandman, Welcome!!

Great bunch of info you gave us there. I'm wondering how hot those 6.5x284 loads were. Seems your FPS results were on the low side for case design and capasity. Was wondering if that is near what a guy could expect?

And... very impressed with your 6.5-06 findings. My smith told me i'd have trouble, his reason escapes me, getting those kinda numbers with that cartridge and talked me into a .280AI instead. I was torn between the two anyway so he made it easy. Not really disappointed but i do like the idea of that 6.5-06 AI.

Thanks!!, Joey

I could get a little more out of my 6.5x284s but accuracy is really good were there at. With 24" barrels it would be tough to get to 3000 with 140s. A buddy had one he could get 3000. His had a 28 inch barrel though. He turned it into a 6.5 stw and it was areal smoker. Another one to think about is the 6.5 wsm. Or the 260 ai you should be able to get 2850 to 2900 with 140s. I would also look at shooting the 130 bergers the added velocity can counteract the lower bc.

It would be nice not to have to fireform the ackley. If you can buy already formed brass that would save a lot of rounds down the barrel. I haven't messed with the cream of wheat method. Maybe next time.

Thanks Sandman264. Would it be safe to say that I would get 100-200 fps slower velocities if I went with a 24" barrel. Is that Norma bullets that you are shooting. I reload so thats why I'm leaning towards the 6.5-06 AI. I was going to build mine on a Savage rifle also. Thanks for all the info. Brian

100fps would be pretty safe to say. The 130s I shoot are norma match bullets, I use these just on steel. The 140 I shoot are berger VLDs very accurate bullets but about twice the price of the normas.
Savage is a good action, and can usually pick one up for a good price. The resale on a custom savage is less than remington and wichester, but they are great shooters.

Here is a pic of mine. My .264 win mag is on top

Has anybody tried the Remington CDL in 264 mag. I just picked one up at Cabelas with a Leupold 6.5x20 LR scope. I just loaded up some rounds tonight with 130 gr Accubonds and 142 gr SMK's.I guess I'll check it out tomorrow or Wednesday.

I love the 264 Winchester Magnum. I have a Ruger M-77 That I put a 26" barrel on it it shoots like dream. I load 140 grain XLC with 65 grains of IMR 7828 velocities are 3305 fps and grouping is 1/2 inch at 100 yards. I wouls like to try some triple shock. I had my friend Dale Jordan load me some up so I can use this month. I have a cow license for unit 82 here in Colorado so I will keep you posted on how they work.

Ive got a box of xlcs but havent shot any Ill be interested to hear how they do.
Shot my 6.5-06ai out to 700 this weekend and am very impressed. Cant wait for my new 264 win mag dies to get here so I can work up loads. Hope your hunt goes well.

I'm in the process of building a custom rifle with long range accuracy.All my research keeps leading back to the same chambering;6.5-284. I'm surprised this rifle don't have a stonger follwing as an all around hunting rifle. I know the long range and bench rest guys love it.

Mike

I bought the Stevens 200 for $280 - gift cards from Gander Mtn. I'm about 99% sure I will be rebarreling to 6.5-06 AI. I'm thinking of the Bartlein barrels in 24-26" sporter weight. I will put a Sharpshooter trigger on it and recoil lug. Limbsaver recoil pad. I'm going to paint and rebed the tupperware stock for now. New stock later depending on how I like the factory stock. Not sure on the optics yet. I like that Huskemaw scope from Gunwerks. Pretty expensive though. Any more suggestions always appreciated. After recovering from xmas Ill start ordering some of the other parts. Thanks for all your input so far. Brian

Very informative exchange here as I have been looking at adding a lighweight carry rifle for deer/antelope in a 25-06, but keep getting lured by the high BC .264 bullets. Just yesterday I spent a bunch of time looking at the Nosler Guide and the performance of the 6.5x284 and 6.5-06 seemed pretty enticing considering the amount of poweder seemed pretty low relative to velocity.

Anyway, that isn't why I'm responding, I just wanted to point you toward the Zeiss Conquest series. If you are looking at a med - Hvy weight rifle the 6.5x20 model at 21oz sure has nice glass and knobs and I find while it seems ot MSRP around $950, you can find it fairly often for around $700, which is what I paid brand new.

Thanks for the info on the scope. I'm still getting headaches trying to decide which caliber and barrel. I'm now stuck between the 6.5-06 AI and the 264 WM. The more info I get on these forums the more confused I get. I'm probably 70/30 in favor of the AI. When I do start researching scopes I would prefer something with a ballistic compensation. That Huskemaw scope is really cool. Ill keep the Zeiss in mind though. Thanks Brian;

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom