6.5x284

I too am interested in any replies. Ive got a Savage Lightweight hunter in the 6.5 X 284. Ive got afew test loads worked up but havent had a chance to shoot them off yet. Ive tried 2 diffent factory loads that didnt group well.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-13 AT 05:27PM (MST)[p]I am using Reloader 17 and H4831-SC in my 6.5-284. My gun is a trued Rem 721 with a Brux barrel. Since I set this gun up for long range shooting and hunting the 140 gr Berger is my choice. I have not shot factory ammo in this gun.

I am still doing some fine tuning on my loads. I am getting good groups using Retumbo 125gr Partitions, 129 Interbonds, and 130 Accubonds. All under an inch. Best group 130gr Accubond with 57gr of Retumbo. Just over 1/2 inch groups at 3215 fps.

I use H4350 and Sierra 142 matchkings and have shot 1/4 MOA groups, but this is savages target gun. I wouldn't shoot an elk with it, but it has worked well on antelope and barbary sheep.

My best load is a 140gr Berger VLD hunting bullet with 58grains of Retumbo. With a 24' barrel I am getting 2970fps. The Velocity is very consistant with only 12fps seperating high from low.

Be careful with this load, It is fine for my rifle but a little hot for a friends rifle. Start a few grains lower and work up from there.

bragabit said, " Best group 130gr Accubond with 57gr of Retumbo. Just over 1/2 inch groups at 3215 fps."

With a loading like that, i definitely might like to have a gun in that cartridge, nice! bragabit, is this a hunting weight rifle or a bench rest queen with a heavy extra long tube?

Though i have not ever owned a 6.5 X anything, I have always had tons of respect for the killing abilities of the various 6.5X's. Even going way back, more than a few of my hunting buds had guns built or just bought rifles in that caliber and i've seen, time and again, just what they do on game when hit fairly well. It's lights out, game over, truly it is very impressive dirt nap abilities!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Thanks to all the responses on this guys. I am still getting my rig put together so haven't had the chance to fire a shot through her yet. Just received my zeiss 6.5-20x50 to put on top friday from Doug @ Cameraland.

Hey Joey, I got the Savage long range fluted, so I will let ya know how she performs when I get goin cuz I can tell your dying to add one to your arsenal as was I. Its a bit heavier than I usually prefer to pack but I wanted something that would give this cartridge the ability to show its stuff. I to am interested in that Retumbo/accubond load. That is my favorite bullet for sending critters up the great stairway to heaven and if I can come close to the numbers bragabit posted I'm gonna feel a little guilty taking her out hunting.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-13 AT 05:55PM (MST)[p]Joey, my gun is also a Savage Long Range Hunter. Not the lightest gun in the world, but bearable.
Buckslayer, where did you get a fluted one? I looked for one for 6 months and had to settle for the regular one.
You guys had me questioning my stats, so now that I am home, I went and dug them up. I was a little off but not too far.
130 Accubond, 57gr Retumbo Fed. 215Match Primer COL 3.14 3-shots @3147fps,3155fps,3126 fps.AVG.3143fps. Grouping was better than I though I had not measured it under .4".
I did have a 57gr Retumbo group that averaged 3215fps The only difference was COL @3.10 the load was compressed. Faster but not as accurate.
I actually like the looks of the Hornady Interbond better than the Accubond. The Interbond has a better shape to me. I only had 15 to play with and never did get a group dialed in. I will try them later, I just hate buying them 100 at a time.
Another bullet I tried was a 125 Nosler Partition. It shot pretty well also. One of the groups I shot with 58gr of Retumbo and they were all a touch over 3300fps. That was pushing it. One of the primers blew out, and shined up the back of the case.
I read were The Best of the West guys use 59gr of Retumbo with their 140gr Bergers. I can't get to that point, to high of pressures. I am not sure how they do it?

I've wanted a 6.5 of some sort for awhile. (and a .338) There's noise over at LRH being made for Remington to bring out the 6.5-284 in the Sendero. That would do it for me. Just casn't pull the trigger on a Savage. (pun intended) mtmuley

TC VENTURE also comes in 6.5x284.Love mine.I havent had it out as much as my custom 6.5x284 but will soon be doing so.

Bragabit, the fluted version is now a cabelas exclusive in either a 300 min mag or 6.5x284. My boy bought a 22-250 in virtually the same savage rifle but called varmit-fluted. What die set are you using and are you seating the bullets nearly touching the lands?

Mtmuley, its funny that you bring up the Sendero because my buddy just bought a Sendero in 7mag and made the comment yesterday that if Remington chambered that rifle in 6.5x284 he would of got it for sure. My response was,"I'm surprised with all the long range hype and videos featuring this round that Remington hasn't chambered the Sendero for it." Might just happen down the road here?

The Sendero is an awesome rifle but for 500 dollars less money the Savage LR/Fluted has an awful lot to offer. They aren't the savages of the past and from what I've seen from my boys gun and heard from others they just plain shoot. I'm chomping at the bit to get my glass mounted and get started. Should have her ready with some factory loads this weekend and handloads to follow next month maybe. Let you guys know how she shoots to start.

What is the recoil of the 6.5x284? I have a 6.5 swedish mauser that is a wonderful gun but curious about the x284.

Buck Slayer, I use RCBS dies. I believe with the Accubond bullet mine hits the lands at 3.17. My best groups came at 3.14. The Interbond is slightly more aerodynamic it hits the lands at 3.18.

The recoil of the 6.5X284 is very minimal. My 12 year old loves to shoot it. With the muzzlebrake on it kicks about like a .243. Not a whole lot more than that with it off. Part of the reason I have been shooting 130gr bullets over 140's is to cut down recoil a little.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-13 AT 08:32PM (MST)[p]Not to be a fly in the ointment here..But dont y'all feel a bit cheated using a shortfat in a long action? Maybe its just me but I cant get giddy about leaving over an inch of bare space in the action.But like to chamber chit in accords with that..I can see maybe doing one on a winny 3", but a rem 2.8" or salvage L/A? pass the 264,6.5RSAUM or creedmoor.

On that note, have you guys heard of the new 6.5 135 scenar coming out? No doubt geared towards S/A 6.5x284's and 260's mag constraints..Sounds like a hell of a combo.

JUDAS REDDOG!

Sounds like something Right up your Alley to me!

You could be shootin a Cartridge with a Slug Longer than the Case/Shell!

Then you wouldn't have to worry about wasting that extra 1"!

Remember REDDOG!

You can always Gouge the Ass End of the Barrel with a Grinder if you have to like some of the 33-378 Weatherbys just so you can get your Long Dong Bullets in to the Magazine!

The Dew I had for Breakfast wasn't Bad so I had one more for Dessert!:D

Whatchu talkin 'bout bess :) besides its the action, not the barrel.

20130326_015616_zps36d07a9e.jpg

You know Exactly what I'm Talkin about!

I'm Surprised you haven't Ground the Notch another 3/4" of an Inch Forward than that?

You Keep Tinkering around REDDOG & you'll come up with something better than a 270WSM!:D

The Dew I had for Breakfast wasn't Bad so I had one more for Dessert!:D

>Whatchu talkin 'bout bess :) besides
>its the action, not the
>barrel.
>
>
20130326_015616_zps36d07a9e.jpg

That stock looks like something a homo would put on a rifle. The cartoosh looks like something my granny used to shoot due to her arthritis.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Just a little follow up report on my Savage LR Fluted 6.5x284. Got her all ready to go and had my son pick me up a couple different boxes of loaded ammo to get started with. I mounted the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20 Target on top.

I started with a box of HSM w/140gr Bergers and it took me 3 shots to find the 100 yd sweet spot and then shot a 3 shot group measuring right at 1". Then decided to try the Nosler ammo w/120gr Ballistic tips and it virtually shot the same 3 shot group in the same place. That was kind of surprising but a pleasant one to know that it isn't ammo finicky right out of the box.

Can't wait to start hand loading and tighten those up as she breaks in so we can stretch her out a bit and see what she can do. Really happy with it so far and still getting used to the accu-trigger. Savage gets a big stamp of approval from me for sure.

iam using rl22 with under 140 berger vld and iam getting 3008 fps with my trued remington 700 and a 26" krieger barrel, i could probably load it hotter but its putting bullets into one hole and its killing rocks at 1032 so if i can ever get a tag iam sure i can put it too work and my rifle weighs in at 9# 8oz with a leupy mark 4 6.5-20 x50 scope

I spent some time shooting today, and I finally got around to shooting my test loads for the 6.5
Acouple sucked azz. But was overall very pleased, got 3 differnt loads with less than a inch at a 100, with 1 load giving me 1/4 inch group.
Got promise from 100 grain Nolser BT's, 130 grain accubonds, and 140 grain Amax's. Naturally the one I rather not use gave the best results. Got some fine tuning to do.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom