6.5X300WSM

Avsman

I recently found a guy in Utah that is working on this caliber building custom rifles, Just woundering if anyone else has any experience with this caliber. Heres what hes puttin in to the gun for a very reasonable price,

Remington 700 SA action
BenchMark Stainless 24" Barrel with Sendero taper With 3 groove 1x8twist
MacTac Break
Heavy Fluted
Rubber Inlay
Ceramic Coat Barrel+Action
Modified Trigger
Floor Plate Coating
Harris Bipods
TPS Rings
TPS Barrel Base
Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x40mm MilDot
HS Thumbhole Stock
20 Rounds loaded
Guranteed to shoot .250" at 100" or better when you get it

Im no gun expert but from what Ive heard this is an extremely versitile caliber from prarie dogs to moose.

The 8 twist should be good for 140-160 grain bullets. A little overkill for PD with bullet weight and amount of powder used. The case capacity is slightly less than a 264 WM so consider near equal performance. I view my 6.5 WSM as a great deer and antelope caliber.

RR

Guaranteed 1/4 inch at 100 yards? Is that what you are saying? My math is rusty, but that is what I saw. mtmuley

he actually said .250 at 100 inches...which is easy even without rifling the barrel....

JB

LAST EDITED ON Apr-06-08 AT 11:13PM (MST)[p]Edit; d13r, i'm gonna assume his 100" was a typo/math mistake, good catch though!

.250 = 1/4", yes. piece of cake, can o'corn, easy as pie, shooten fish in... That would be a pertty darn good day with anything i own, anytime, any place. i'm happy with half to three quarters.

Actually, i can't, i have but wouldn't bet on doing it again, and know darn few who ever consistantly shot 1/4 inch groups @ 100 yds with a hunting rifle.

To guarntee that? Sounds great, might be true, but that's a red flag IMO, buyer beware.

the 6.5-284 should be pretty close in speed and factory brass is available. 1/4 group at 100 yards, maybe they're shooting one shot!!! make a bigger case capacity, a little more speed and a barrel burner and the line gets long to get the NEXT NEW ultimate caliber. i suppose you could make brass out of 270wsm brass, it is only 13 thou. bigger bullet. bullet placement is the main thing. YOU still gotta hit where you're aiming. ce61

LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-08 AT 07:33PM (MST)[p]I mad a mistake on the caliber it is a 6.5X7mmWSM and sorry for the typo, It is 100 yards, I wont make any decisions in till I get to shoot his but from what Ive seen of his work it is top notch, no cut corners, and hes meticulous it doesnt leave the shop unless its perfect, For the price I just cant find any thing close, I know I could have a better gun made but the price would probably double or even triple I cant afford that so Im still lookin and any advice would be great Thanks again for the input.

some target shooters are using what is termed a 7/300wsm. that is using a 300 wsm as it has a longer neck than the 7mm and resizing it to 7mm and cutting a longer necked chamber. 7wsm has a .244 long neck and the 300wsm has a .298 long neck. for elk or moose i would prefer the 7wsm. you could shoot factory in a pinch,the 7mm also has some great high b.c. bullets. nowadays most wildcats are not much of a improvement of what is available as factory based rounds. how fast is a 6.5x7wsm supposed to shoot? with a good quality barrel and a good gunsmith working on it any caliber should shoot great. ce61

I guess I just assumed 1/4 inch at 100. If that is, in fact, the guys claim, it's a tall order. If it is true, maybe you should buy one. mtmuley

Well, if you do get this gun, it won't be one that everybody else has and that, to me, is a plus. You can nowadays get pretty darn good bullets with high B.C. in 6.5, it may not kick quite as much as some shooting bigger pills, and its different. If the price is right, you like to reload, from your description of everything else, sounds great except maybe that accuracy guarntee. Heck yeah, go for it.

... Especially when it sounds like that's really what you want to hear anyway. lol

nagging thought; why so cheap? Guns like this aren't cheap to build.

joey

He just started his business, Hes been building guns for a few years on the side but he just started doing it for his JOB so he wants to get a few out there, I was sceptical at first also but all the great gun builders started some where I hope he turns out to be one and if I end up getting one it will be before the price doubles. Ive seen pics of his work from the photos they look like nice rifles, like I said Im going to have to go shoot one first. If it all works out it will be nice to find someone that puts out a quality product and doesnt charge an arm and a leg for it.

He will probably build you a great rifle. I think his .25 claim is a bit bold, way to many variables there. The 6.5-300wsm has not got the best reviews from the 1000yd crew, but that is not to say that it won't do everything you want. If after long talks with him and even checking out some of his work I probably would let him build me a gun and I hope that you get the accuracy of his guarantee.....but I am sure you could talk me into a wager that the gun will not AVERAGE that good, but I think it will still probably be wonderfully accurate.

I have a 6.5 Rem Mag. I haven't heard of the 6.5x300wsm, but from looking at a 300wsm shell, I sounds like they are trying to reinvent the 6.5 Rem Mag. I love my 6.5 Rem Mag, shoots flat and has very little recoil.

Rice,

You're shooting probably the most
underrated caliber to ever hit the market.

Remington was way ahead of their time when they
came out with it, but too damned stupid to know
What to do with it.

Good all around load, especially with all these
cool new bullets we have now.

Laro

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom