6 point coues rut hunt

dang302

HI all,

I have 5 points for deer (NR), and I think I have decided to use them on a December coues hunt. My plan is to hunt with an early leftover tag this fall in an area that I will hopefully draw in the next few years. Its seems like a good opportunity to learn an area with leftover early season tags so that when I draw the December hunt I know the area. That being said, I will probably just put in for the point this year so that I have the opportunity learn the unit first.

I assume this puts me in one of the southern units with lots of illegals running around. I live in western NM so scouting is feasable. I want to hunt a very glassable unit. I hunt coues in an area of NM that has good numbers, but I don't see a lot of deer due to it being more wooded (can go days without seeing a buck). I really want to do one of those hunts where you can glass for hours and see bucks running everywhere (who doesn't!)

My impression is that there are a fair number of units that can provide this.

I guess I need your expertise on what unit has the type of terrain/foliage that Im after. I am after your typical desert mountainous terrain that is very glassable where I can see a lot of deer in a day. I don't want to hunt em in tall pines or pinon/juniper country.

So you know what I am after: I doubt I will be able to pass an 80" 4X4 (I count brow tines, because well, its a point isn't it?)

All thoughts will be appreciated.

Most of the hunt units south of Phoenix will fill your wants, and some east/northeast also will.

Be sure when you apply for a Dec. hunt to 1. either fill out only ONE choice 2. apply for two different Dec. hunts as 1-2 choices. Do NOT include 3-4-5 choices. Not drawn? Get the point and buy a leftover.

BTW, the late Nov. hunt over Thanksgiving isn't that much different than a Dec. hunt.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

With 5 points already I'd want the late December hunt not the late November early Dec. hunt. Tag numbers alone make it a better tag in my opinion. You can get the late Nov hunt as a leftover in some units.

I should have been clearer about the Nov. hunt comment. I meant as a LEFTOVER tag when unsuccessful for the late Dec. hunt. There are always a bunch left for several southern units, so no need to include one for the Nov. hunt on the app.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

The plan to buy a Bonus Point this year, and hope to draw in 2014 is a good one, if you wish to learn the unit first as a DIY hunter on a leftover tag. Definitely pick up a leftover for this fall in the hunt unit you hope to draw.

I would suggest only applying for one late December hunt and that being in the unit you want and plan to pick up a leftover tag in.

Do not put a October or November hunt as second choice as you may likely draw it in the 20% pass and have no chance of drawing the late Dec first choice. The computer looks at both the first and second choices in the 20%pass and your first may be filled or the 10%NR cap already met, giving a high likelyhoood of drawing the lesser second choice.

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://www.plateaulightphotography.com/
The-Wave-9-15-10edited_210.jpg

If you buy a leftover tag, do you get to keep your bonus points? I've never looked at buying a leftover tag, as I assumed it cost points. I have max points for deer, and am going to draw a strip tag once, and then look south. If I could buy a leftover tag without harming my status up north, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

>If you buy a leftover tag,
>do you get to keep
>your bonus points? I've
>never looked at buying a
>leftover tag, as I assumed
>it cost points. I
>have max points for deer,
>and am going to draw
>a strip tag once, and
>then look south. If
>I could buy a leftover
>tag without harming my status
>up north, I'd do that
>in a heartbeat.

Getting a tag through the leftover process does not impact bonus points.

hunted left over tag last year, still have my points. Same with over the counter archery. No impact on points.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom