60# OR 70#

SLIVER

Very Active Member
I am going to buy a new bow this season and was thinking of getting a 60# instead of a 70# bow. I have always shot 70# bows, but with the speed of these new bows, could I get away with a 60#? Right now I am shooting 68 lbs with my setup and getting 280 fps. Could I expect to get these numbers from one of the new 60# speed bows, maxed out at 62 or 63 lbs?

}}-SLIVER-->

Why dont you just go with a 60-70 pound bow then set it at 62-64 pounds so your not maxed out on the limbs? By the way im sure I saw you at the expo today tj but wasnt certain it was you for sure and didnt wanna feel like a fool going to talk to you if it wasnt really you lol

I read in a tech section of one of the numerous bowhunting magazines out there that a bow shoots better at peak draw weight, so if you want to shot 60 lbs. get one that maxes out at 60 and if you ever want to go higher, you can buy new limbs.
WVBOWAK

pauns08, you totally should have come and said hello, wish I could have met ya.

WVBOWAK- that is kinda the same thing that I have heard also, which is why I don't want to get a 70lb bow and loosen it up so I am at 62 lbs, when I could get a 60lb bow and have tight at 62 lbs, and get the same speed that I'm getting now, with the same arrow weight. Is it true that a bow performs better when the limbs are fully tightned? Bolts like to be tight, right?

Right now I shoot the PSE X-weave 300's at 29" with a 100gr head. I would like to stay with this weight arrow if I can, because I have a dozen of these arrows brand new.

Maybe I am way off base here but if I can shoot 62 lbs on a new bow the same speed as I am shooting 68 lbs now, with the same arrow, I should be able to hold full draw longer and more steady if needed and be able to draw the bow easier in uncomfortable postitions.

What do you guys think? Help me make the best decision.

}}-SLIVER-->

Had this same discussion a few years back. I got talked into a 60# bow and was told that it would shoot faster than my current bow and I would be able to shoot better because I would be able to hold it longer and more steady. Well because of my lack of knowledge and not knowing I took the 60# and maxed out the limbs and took it to the shop to see the draw weight. To my suprise the most I could get was 58# and 255fps. I was not pleased with the results so I called the mfg and got 70# limbs for the bow. I would get the 70# bow and just shoot where you want to be. Also something to think about is resale on a 60# is much lower and harder to get rid of when the time comes just my opinion. I think I will be getting a new one this year and it will definately be a 70#.

Thomas

I guess im way off course then I always thought you didnt want your limbs maxed out, if I guess I should have came over and said hello sliver I'm sure I'll run into you somewhere else, maybe we'll have to get together this spring and shoot our bows

LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-12 AT 10:35AM (MST)[p]Sounds good pauns08.

I am going to try to get over to the archery shop tonight if they stay open late enough, and I'll do some research.

Please keep the opinions coming.

}}-SLIVER-->

I was in this same delima a few years ago. I had a Hoyt Alpha Tec that I really liked and it was set at 70lbs. I had been struggling with target panic though and wanted to drop poundage when I went to a new bow. I ended up getting a 60 lb Hoyt Alphmax set right at 60 lbs. With the same arrow I was shooting out of my 70lb Alpha Tec, a 340 Easton Axis, I was actually shooting 5fps faster with the newer 60lb bow than my old 70lb bow. So depending on the bow you get I would say a newer bow at 60lbs could outperform and older 70lb model.

Mark

>pauns08, you totally should have come
>and said hello, wish I
>could have met ya.
>
>WVBOWAK- that is kinda the same
>thing that I have heard
>also, which is why I
>don't want to get a
>70lb bow and loosen it
>up so I am at
>62 lbs, when I could
>get a 60lb bow and
>have tight at 62 lbs,
>and get the same speed
>that I'm getting now, with
>the same arrow weight. Is
>it true that a bow
>performs better when the limbs
>are fully tightned? Bolts like
>to be tight, right?
>
>Right now I shoot the PSE
>X-weave 300's at 29" with
>a 100gr head. I would
>like to stay with this
>weight arrow if I can,
>because I have a dozen
>of these arrows brand new.
>
>
>Maybe I am way off base
>here but if I can
>shoot 62 lbs on a
>new bow the same speed
>as I am shooting 68
>lbs now, with the same
>arrow, I should be able
>to hold full draw longer
>and more steady if needed
>and be able to draw
>the bow easier in uncomfortable
>postitions.
>
>What do you guys think? Help
>me make the best decision.
>
>
>}}-SLIVER-->

I haven't noticed any difference in fully tightened limbs versus rolling them back. I wouldn't expect to get 62 pounds out of a 60lb bow. Mine maxes out at 60lb, and some max out a little more or less. You can shim limbs, over rotate cams, etc to get more poundage and speed, but that seems a little drastic.

Use this calculator to get an idea (close estimate) of your arrow speed:

http://www.stickemarchery.com/stickemcart/archery-calculators.aspx

I'm not sure how much those arrows would weigh.

I just bought a new bow last year and went through the same dilemma?s. The one thing that helped me decide is that I am not getting any younger. I was starting to struggle a little when I had long practices. I just turned 50. I only buy a new bow about every 7 years and I figured by the time I got around to buying another bow I may not be able to pull back 70 lbs so well. I split the difference between 60lb and what I had with a 2005 70lb bow and I now shoot my new bow at 65lbs. Just five pounds made all the difference in the world for me. I haven't chron?ed it yet but I can tell I'm spitting my same 455 grain arrows out a little faster. The best part is the confidence in my shot with as easy as it to draw back and hold. I can practice until I've had enough and not because I'm struggling, each and every shot is fun right up to taking the last one. As a side note, I could crank this up to 70 if I choose to or drop it down another couple of pounds. It's nice to know I have the options but I can't see bringing it back up to 70lbs. It's plenty of bow at 65 for everything I can hunt here.

As far as maxing out limbs for performance. I don't know for sure but with today?s limbs I don't think that is case anymore. I know at one time it was thought that the limbs performed at their peak maxed out. I think they will perform at their peak in between the ranges say 60 to 70lbs that the manufacturer specified. In other words if a bow is maxed out at 63lbs it will not do any better performance than limbs bolts backed off from 70lbs down to 63lbs...If that make sense.

GBA

I am going to shoot 70 for awhile but once bows start getting into the 350's and 360's with 60 I will drop to that weight.

They got some work to do before a 60# bow is shooting a hunting arrow at 360 fps but its not speed that kills its a well placed arrow.

I'd rather have the 70# limbs and turn them down than wish I could go up higher and be unable to.

I personally dont get concerned with speed, I'm shooting 72# with a 485 grain arrow @ 272fps. The bow is quiet and shoots fairly flat to 60 yards..my maximum.

I've taken 8 animals with this setup and have gotten pass throughs on 6 of the 8.

Guess the better question is do you feel like you shoot more accurately with lighter #? That above all else is the most important.

"Quitting is not an option!"

To answer your question, I really don't know. I have only owned 70lb bows and shoot around 68lbs. I am going to go get my hands on both and make my decision from there. I have no reservations buying the 70# bow, but if I can get away with 60lbs then why not.

}}-SLIVER-->

I agree that 60# is plenty of bow weight to kill anything in NA. The main reason I choose heavier # is I use my bow for everything deer, elk, pigs and when I went to Africa.

I created my setup with elk and kudu sized game in mind and knew it would work great on anything smaller I might encounter.

I'm also a fan regardless of bow # to keep arrows 420 grains and above. I've gotten passthroughs with 385-400 grain arrows, but I like how much quieter my bow shoots the heaview arrows. I'm currently shooting 485 grain FMJ's with a 125 BH.

Best of luck with you new bow.

"Quitting is not an option!"

FWIW, I have a 70lb Bowtech Assassin, not a speed bow by any stretch of todays standards, that is currently set up at 60lbs and 28.5" DL.

I haven't weighed my arrows but adding up the figures I find online they should weigh right around 400 gr (403.4 is what I come up with). I chrony'd it today at the shop and it shoots 275 fps.

Your mileage will of course vary with DL and arrow weight.

My $0.02,
Brian

RE: 60# OR 70#, Here are the numbers

So I finally got down to The Bow Shop in Nephi and got my hands on the 2012 Prime Centroid, which is the bow that I am going to buy.

My arrows are PSE radial x weave pro 300's and weigh 378 grains.
Draw length 29"
With the bow maxed out at 70 lbs it shot between 311 and 315 fps.
With the bow set at 62 lbs it shot between 295-297 fps. Both settings were shot multiple times to ensure consistency.

At 62 lbs the centroid is shooting at least 15 fps faster than my old bow at 68 lbs, using the same arrows. Less weight, faster shooting, easier to draw. Win win right?

I am way impressed with the numbers this Centroid is putting out. Thanks to Riley at The Bow Shop for letting me do my little experiment, and for being so accommodating. I will be taking my business there in the future for sure.
The 60lb bow is on order!

}}-SLIVER-->

sweet to hear that sliver! I went with the 60lb bow as well for the same reason's you did. I also bought my bow from Riley at the bow shop in nephi just the other night and was very pleased with my experience there and will continue to take all my archery business there! And hopefully soon because i am trying to get my wife to get a bow and start shooting!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom