60 yrs old with 8 Deer P.P.

Chief23

I am just posting this hoping to get some opinions on my research and as I am to the point of wanting to use my points while I can still enjoy the mountains and the overall hunt. I have been researching Units 551 and 30. I am familiar with the terrian in 551 having hunted in that area of Colorado in the past. 30 just by looking on google earth. In 2015 it was an 80% chance of drawing in 551 and 87.5 in unit 30 with 8 points in 3rd season.

With the season dates being a little different im not sure that 8 points will get me in either unit this year. I really like the idea that both units have low deer hunter numbers 5.5 and 7.9 per square mile plus I realize I have to compete with the elk hunters and both units had around 525 hunters last year 3rd season.

Im not crazy about going to a 2nd season hunt and losing 4-6 points but I may not have a choice plus I figure theres little weather activity or pre rutting to get the deer moving much.

One important point I would like to make is I see so many guys post that they ask questions about a unit in hopes of shooting a 200 inch muley. Me, I have shot a few mule deer in my day and just hope to have the opportunity to harvest a nice representitive buck and to enjoy the overall hunt.

Sorry it,s a little long and also I live in Ohio so my scouting is done by goggle earth and talking to the local wardens. Any thoughts or opinions anyone has would be greatly appreciated plus I also posted this on a couple different sites. Thanks Much.

I would be surprised if you could draw either of those units 3rd season. Many are thinking it will be 1-2 point creep. 551 second could be a good hunt. Or research other units for 3rd season that require less points you may want to consider. Good luck.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom