62 vs. 68 3rd season deer

DidIDraw

Trying to decide on a hunt for this fall. Can anyone give me some feedback on 3rd season deer units 62 vs. 68? Looking for a hunt with a reasonable chance at a 170 buck and good amounts of public land. I have 4 non-resident points.

My step dad will be along with a general season elk tag - is one unit better than the other from that perspective?

Thanks in advance!

Don't know about 62 but have hunted 68. In my opinion trying to combine your deer hunt with Elk hunting will be a problem. Elk in 3rd season are few and far between on public. Having a tag is a good idea but don't let it distract from your main goal. Good bucks are available for those who put the boot leather to the ground and their eyes to the glass. It is a tough,demanding hunt that can result in great rewards but far from a slamdunk.

HE IS CORRECT ABOUT THE HARD WORK IN 68, IF YOU CAN GET A BREAK WITH SNOWY COLD WEATHER, AND YOU WORK HARD SOMETIMES YOU'RE REWARDED.

8402imag0116.jpg

62 is no slam dunk but a 170" is possible in a ton of 3rd season units in CO including 62. Pray for snow and you'll get action on one of those units.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I put in for 68. Here's hoping for some deer hunting weather.

On the weather topic, in the event of a good snow storm will the road between Gunnison and Units 68-681 be open or will I need to approach from the south?

I saw some comments in an older thread talk about hunting in the rocks. Can anyone enlighten me about which part of the unit this might refer to?

My past experience hunting 3rd season deer in CO is that the deer are generally hanging out at the oak brush level (maybe 7500-8000 feet or so). Is this true of unit 68-681 as well?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-14 AT 09:43PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-14 AT 09:40?PM (MST)

>Thanks everyone for your comments.
>
>I put in for 68. Here's
>hoping for some deer hunting
>weather.
>
>On the weather topic, in the
>event of a good snow
>storm will the road between
>Gunnison and Units 68-681 be
>open or will I need
>to approach from the south?
>
>
>I saw some comments in an
>older thread talk about hunting
>in the rocks. Can anyone
>enlighten me about which part
>of the unit this might
>refer to?
>
>My past experience hunting 3rd season
>deer in CO is that
>the deer are generally hanging
>out at the oak brush
>level (maybe 7500-8000 feet or
>so). Is this true
>of unit 68-681 as well?
>

It will most likely be open. I prefer HWY 114 over the southern route anytime.

Use this link: http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=38.08108521&lon=-106.13108826&zoom=8&pin=Saguache, CO

and this one for weather forecasting. http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-106.57219&lat=38.17092

Weather will be your friend (or not) for 68; been that way for the 40 or so years I have hunted it.
If I recall there is supposed to be a full moon for third season. Some folks say that is bad for deer/elk since they don't usually feed in the open. That is certainly true for 68 as it gets a lot of public pressure.

If I were looking for a good buck, I would follow the advice given by jainoon. Be patient when walking and glass the hi cliff tops too.

BTW. what southern route are you talking about? I would assume up either 17 or 285. Where are you coming from?

well here is the good news, I didn't shoot him. These we're sheds I found 30 yards apart in unit 68 in 2012, he very well could be still alive, his pedicle looked like it had room to grow.

Coming in from the west - I can pick up I-40 and come in via New Mexico or I-70 and come in from Grand Junction. I'd prefer I-70 if the weather allows.

Excited to see some new country - I've never been near the Sangre de Cristo mountains so it will be fun to see them in person. If I took a Sunday drive that way any recommendations on places to get some nice photos?

I'm sure the hunt will be challenging but the more years go by the more I enjoy the experience of being out and the less stressed I am about filling my tag (although I still like to give it my best shot). Having a tag in my pocket, a rifle on my back, and no timetables or other commitments is what my daydreams are made of - happening right now in fact :)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-14 AT 10:47PM (MST)[p]I used to take I-40 when I was stationed in CA. There are lots of animals on the highway between the NM and CO border.

I like coming in from Grand Junction too. The drive from US50, just outside of GJ, and on to HWY 114 is pretty. Never had an issue with snow. Seems like we always see sheep on that windy, narrow road too. The road gets a little straighter about 10 or so miles after you leave US 50. Keep going towards Saguache, and the northern border of 68 starts about, I *think*, where you see a sign for Saguache Park and continues to Saguache. If you want to take a dirt road that connects to the southern boundary of 68, look to the south for County Road 41G when you are coming in from the west on HWY 114. That road will take you all the way to a little town called La Garita. The southern boundary of 68 ends at the La Garita wilderness which is south of the town. Post office, gas station and pictures of the bulls/bucks/bears/speed goats taken in the area. Good burgers too.

If you take a look at an area map and have some questions, feel free to ask.

If it snows too much, US50 will take you to Salida, then 285 south to Saguache. Those roads are plowed a lot more frequently.

Sunday drive? Cotchetopa pass, Monarch pass...but, HWY 114 is hard to beat. Good fishing in that little creek near the road, great scenery when the leaves are turning.

If you make it to Saguache, and are heading back west from there, take the side roads (most are dirt) closest to the mountains to the south of HWY 114. Most all of that is private property, but, you will see some very, very nice bucks come morning/evening hours. Keep to your left and you will eventually be forced back on to HWY 114.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom