>>them.
>
>Yeah - I caught on that
>one too.
>
>Really leadhead???
>
>HOOK 'EM!

Maybe Snort and him can get together and cook some up on a granite rock?

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Great Buck and Great shots. Tell all of the haters to go FK themselves. Nice video also.

-John Wayne

Guns_buns_&_beers,

I'm not telling you you have to do anything, but one day when your hunting rights are taken away like thy have in my state you might ask yourself this question. If I had not been so in your face to others would I still have hunting rights. I'm not saying I don't feel the same way you do. I am just trying to be smart about this. You can't control the voters, but at least don't pour gasoline on a fire. You'll wake up sorry one day.

Took me a long time to read through every post. That being said.. Congrats on a nice buck. Glad you were able to get him down. The first shot was not exactly where you want it, but still would have killed him. Second shot was a little far back, but still would have killed the buck, third shot drilled him. Many are forgetting that at that distance, the bullet has really slowed down and isn't packing the walup that it would have at 200 yards.
Take bow hunting for example. The broadhead is not going very fast, but is intended to tear open vitals. In bow hunting, it can take a while for the animal to die due to the fact the hunter is not relying on kinetic energy from an expanding, fast bullet. They can die quickly with a bow as well, but tend to take longer.
Animals are tough and have to be to survive. And as others have said, bad shots are made and animals are lost at all distances.
im the most happy to see that you followed up your shots and made them count. Got the job done in the end. Good job.

Obviously the bullet doesn't have as much energy... but my .280 ackley is throwing down over 1600 ft lbs of energy at 625 yds. And I'm bet his rifle is throwing down more than that (I'm guessing it's a big 30 cal of somekind). Energy of the bullet was not an issue here.

He's also right about dialing for 610 and it being at 630 and the difference causing that first hit low. My guns drop is around 7" difference between those two distances. You come up 7" on that first shot and he's dead on.

Things happen in the heat of the moment, he calmed down, readjusted according to his spotters and drilled that SOB with his 2nd and 3rd shots.

Mike

Im not against distance shooting and do it myself, so don't take this the wrong way, but, from what i noticed in the video and maybe he can clarify, the buck looked to be at an angle. And what happens when you range an animal at an angle? The reading on the range finder isn't compensating for the angle. The way it looked the buck may have been at a 15-20* angle, which would have put that buck at an actual range of 605-610 if the buck ranged at 630 without angle composition. Now correct me if im wrong OP, but it looked like the buck was at an angle.
I enjoyed the video and once again, congrats on getting your buck.

>>>The only thing I find disturbing
>>>in this thread is that
>>>some guy eats coyotes.
>>>No, I do not hunt
>>>them.
>>
>>Yeah - I caught on that
>>one too.
>>
>>Really leadhead???
>>
>>HOOK 'EM!
>
>
>Maybe Snort and him can get
>together and cook some up
>on a granite rock?
>
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

BURN!! lol... I eat a few worm infested bear ribs and my life been a living hell ever since...lol

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

>Great Buck and Great shots. Tell
>all of the haters to
>go FK themselves. Nice video
>also.
>
>_____________________________________
>"Life's tough. It's even tougher if
>you're stupid."
>
>-John Wayne

It took a lot of posts on this thread before someone finally said something that makes the most sense.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Thanks for sharing your video with us, congrats on a great buck!

I am blown away how soft some of the guys on this site are. If their feelings get hurt every time an animal doesn't expire immediately, they are in the wrong crowd. Better not go to rodeos either guys, I hear they rope calves and tie em up in a ball! Heavens sake the poor animal!

Get a life.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

I'll chime in I guess.... I do shoot long range and have killed at long range. The last two elk I shot were 671 yards and 435 yards. Both one shot kills, knew the range, new the rifle and had a dead rest. As far as the shooting goes in this video.. its piss poor, yes I know, I know hit him all three times but long range shooting isnt about merely 'hitting' the target its about being able to place that bullet in the kill zone the first shot. Guy got awful lucky that buck stopped again after he shot him in the brisket... more times than not that deer would of hopped his ass over the ridge and you would of been really sick and had a tracking job on your hands. Been there seen that. Not sure what caliber the guy was shooting or if he did his own handloads or anything... but not dialing the turret to the proper distance would be perfect.. also target acquisition was terrible. The shooter should of been set up and taken the shot as the deer stood up not as he was trying to walk off into the cedars. Videos like this is what makes people jab at long range shooting and hunting along with Greenies material to take to Washington.

Coloradoboy
Tenderfoot Outfitters

>
>Maybe Snort and him can get
>together and cook some up
>on a granite rock?

Funniest single comment I have read in months!! Hilarious.

HOOK 'EM!

coloradoboy and gb22 i am having a custom rifle made I would like both of you to autograph it because it sounds like you guys are the only ones that know how to shoot IN REAL HUNTING CONDITIONS please let everyone know when your shooting school is going to open up

LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-11 AT 09:25PM (MST)[p]I really like the video and that is a really awesome buck especailly for a 625 yard shot!! Awesome buck I really like it!!

gb22, how do I get hooked up with your "long range" shooting school?? Sign me up!! JUST KIDDING!! Seems like you're the MM critic!! So when was the last time you were off a couple of inches at 625 yards or rather have you ever even shot at that distance?? Who do you think you are??? Lets see your long range shooting videos!!!!

Well Those that say he got lucky.MAYBE he di get lucky, then he got lucky 3 for 3 at 625 yds. That's pretty good luck right there and a really nice buck to boot. You don't just pickup a rifle and hit your target 3 for 3 at that range with pressure on.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I agree with Coloradoboy 100%.

The shooter did get lucky, he got lucky the buck, after being shot in the leg didn't run off never be seen again.

I'm with "confused and 6mil" sign me up gb22 and coloradoboy for you perfect 100% one shot kill school!! Remember if you watched the video the bullet grazed the brisket not just the leg that could be why the deer didn't go farther. Let's see your video of your 671 yard shot, was that at your bull of a lifetime?

If you guys were shooting 30" groups at 100 yards would you still go hunting as long as you are shooting no farther than 100 yards? Didn't think so.

A lot of first time posters on this thread.

hmmmmmmmmmm!

Everybody has different standards and some peoples standards suck. If I can't cover the heart and lungs very easily then I'll hold off. I set gallon milk jugs out to 400 yards and make them explode. I don't shoot 625 yards for practice or in the field. Could I?...probably. I'll work on getting closer. It's no fun when you don't have complete confidence when you pull the trigger.

I enjoyed the comparison between rodents and game animals someone posted earlier. How many years do people apply unsuccessfully for rodents or varmints versus Trophy deer and elk? That is your answer for taking low percentage shots. Obviously too few deer if it takes 10 years to draw so why chance wasting one on a OIL tag? Am I the only one that knows the animal is dead when I pull the trigger?

That's fun making the milk jugs explode, been there done that at 500 and 600 yards!!ivideowildlife admits in the excitement he was (1) click low on his turret or he would have hit the heart, compensated then double lunged him (that was not a miss, he aimed for the lungs, that was a kill shot. The mercy shot was the third. That is no 30" group that is right on. This deer is dead!! You, I or ivideowildlife could have made the same mistake at 100 yards. So this bull crap about getting closer stinks. He was confident about the shot or he would not have taken it. He said he has shot 100's of rounds at various ranges to prepare for that hunt.

>I asked you once before Zigga,
>what's a good group at
>625 yards?

I'm not Zigga but 3-6" maybe even 8" is a good start.

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

That's exactly what he shot, given the mistake of one click low on first shot, he aimed at the lungs on the second (that was the kill shot) deer just didn't know it, hense the mercy shot.

I would've rather watched a milk jug shot at 625 yards than a mule deer. Great shootin but come on, it's 625 yards of sand and trees, you can't get closer?

Good shooting skill shouldn't be a substitute for lack of hunting skill.

>That's exactly what he shot, given
>the mistake of one click
>low on first shot, he
>aimed at the lungs on
>the second (that was the
>kill shot) deer just didn't
>know it, hense the mercy
>shot.

You need a new tape measure..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

I went shooting with my 14 year old last month. After making sure his gun was dialed. I pulled out the 7 wsm for a little fun at 650 yards. I asked my son if he wanted to take some long range shots. We set him up on a target at 650 yards and he proceded to put 3 shots in the middle. I have taken many average joes and with my gun and a little coaching they were stacking nice groups beyong 600 yards with there first rounds.

I'll bet more deer have been wounded at 100 yards than at 625 yards.

A friend of mine was telling me about a guy who missed a 201 net typical at 100 yards standing braodside.....3 times. He told the guide he just wanted to shoot anything the next day.Guess what buck showed up at about the same distance. After missing a few more times he connected by pure luck. And these people drive, hunt and reproduce.

And those that say long range shooting isn't hunting. Whether your shooting at 100 yards or 600 yards you still have to find a big buck, and last time I checked they are pretty hard to come by.

I agree with cabinfever, and by the way (1) click on a 1/3 minute of angle scope would be 4 to 6 inches (low in this case) at 625 yards. If you don't believe me ask coloradoboy or gb22:)

Distance matters-
I do not have the shot on film but two members on this site can confirm it as they were my spotters. (Dad and uncle) I was shooting a 300rum thats custom built with a nightforce scope and 185 Berger vlds. I shot the bull high shoulder and he fell right on his nose

Great shot, bet it felt good, bet your dad was as happy for you as ivideowildlife's dad was for him. I too shoot the 300rum great caliber. My son shot two deer last year one at 735yds and the other at 540yds same caliber both one shot kills, very confident with weapon. For you to say ivideowildlife is a poor shot is un-true, any one of us could make the same mistake on adjusting the turret. Not sure what the nightforce turret is in terms of minute of angle adjustment (great scope by the way) a click or two makes 4 - 6 inch difference at 625 would you agree? At least it does with a 1/3 minute of angle scope.

735 now......i think all this thread is about is the centuries old dispute with men . throw a bunch of roosters in a pen and see which one comes up on top, my dad can beat up your dad and my weiner is 5/8" longer than yours. bragging rights

regardless of the this and that regarding long range deer shooting. the shooting on the video was not impressive at all. especialy if there was "extensive practicing ". deer should have been d.o.a. first shot. that would have been impressive. a long range pro shouldn't need five minutes to kill one deer. the guys were lucky he didn't work his way into the brush and was never to be found. but as i have been told countless times

" it happens "

First off let me just say i have done my fair share of long range shooting, And if u shoot alott you shouldnt be making stupid dialing mistakes like dialing 610 instead of 625 as for shot 2 pure gut shot and no wonder, you didnt re dial, you just held over wtf you have a turreted scopea its not like you didnt take your time and if u are going to post a long range shot video it really should be a 1 shot kill . If not you are just setting yourself up to the mm police 625 is a chip shot if u have the right equipment and the skills btw get a bigger gun !!!

[email protected]

[email protected]

'IT AINT EASY BEING ME'

beavis14,longshooter338,zigga,gb22,coloradoboy ====you cannot fix stuppid you guys should really advertise for a long range shooting school if the govornment knew how good you guys were at long range shooting bin laden would have been dead years ago keep up the good work please post your phone numbers on this sight because next time i am in A REAL LIVE HUNTING SITUATION i want to call u guys and make sure i am doing it right, just give one phone number because i am sure you guys will be together doing who knows what I WANT TO GROW UP BEING JUST LIKE U

Hey confused, maybe we can car pool when you go the shooting school, sign me up I want to make sure I DO IT RIGHT:)

That is an AWESOME Buck!!! All these people that call themselves hunters that have made such negative comments must really hang out with the P.E.T.A. group. If any of them were real hunters they would know what an awesome shot you made all 3 times. There was NOTHING brutal or sad about it. These "wussy" people need to go home and have their mommies wipe their nose, watch their favorite show, "Sesame Street", and quit acting like they know something about hunting! That was a Great Hunt and being able hunt with family is a Priceless memory! Good Job!!!!!

I produced a graph using my new 2012 excell program and posted it on another thread in the general forum. Thought I would post it here too so that no one misses out on these heart stopping statistics....
7835graph.jpg

I can work some more numbers if needs be to clarify my findings to the non-believers.

Nice buck and congrats!

Did he shoot a perfect 6" group on the buck? Nope. But did he shoot a 30" group on the buck like Zigga suggests? Nope. Zigga stay in the political forum I don't think I am convinced you actually own a gun let alone kill stuff with it.

I love all the experts here, when I started long range shooting I had great success and numerous one shot kills to 600 or so yards and then I talked a little chit such as GB and COboy have here and I think Kharma didn't agree and humbled me once or twice.

If you don't wanna see chit die (slow or otherwise)don't watch the videos. If you don't know (FOR A FACT!!!) that EVERY animal you have shot at has died quickly and not suffered then keep your Phucckin trap shut. If you have EVER made a less than perfect shot whether hunting or just shooting then you have no right to Beotch.

The hunting world is built of two types of people those that have wounded or missed game and those that will (excepting the experts in this thread).

As for the antis getting this, who ******** cares!!! They have ammo dating back 30 plus years of people filming chit dying to draw from and I GUARANTEE this video won't make the cut when they go to Washington to take your hunting rights and I say yours because I will keep mine till locked up or dead.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

I disagree with longshooter. If he would have stopped to dial in another click he would have to reacquire the animal in his scope and during that time the animal could have moved into cover so he made a quick adjustment on where he held and finished the job.

I watched a documentary recently on snipers in the middle east. A marine sniper watched a terrorist jump in a car filled with explosives and head straight for a US convoy making it's way through a small town. The marine ranged the target that was moving at an undetermined speed towards the convoy. The range was 700 yards but he new because it was moving he had to compensate. He held low and drilled the bastage through the eye socket.

A 600 yard shot with the right equipment, and the right shooter behind it, is like shooting fish in a barrel.

>I'll chime in I guess....
>I do shoot long range
>and have killed at long
>range. The last two elk
>I shot were 671 yards
>and 435 yards. Both one
>shot kills, knew the range,
>new the rifle and had
>a dead rest. As far
>as the shooting goes in
>this video.. its piss poor,
>yes I know, I know
>hit him all three times
>but long range shooting isnt
>about merely 'hitting' the target
>its about being able to
>place that bullet in the
>kill zone the first shot.
>Guy got awful lucky that
>buck stopped again after he
>shot him in the brisket...
>more times than not that
>deer would of hopped his
>ass over the ridge and
>you would of been really
>sick and had a tracking
>job on your hands. Been
>there seen that. Not sure
>what caliber the guy was
>shooting or if he did
>his own handloads or anything...
>but not dialing the turret
>to the proper distance would
>be perfect.. also target acquisition
>was terrible. The shooter should
>of been set up and
>taken the shot as the
>deer stood up not as
>he was trying to walk
>off into the cedars. Videos
>like this is what makes
>people jab at long range
>shooting and hunting along with
>Greenies material to take to
>Washington.
>
>Coloradoboy
>Tenderfoot Outfitters

+1 Colorado Boy.

Just as in archery, determining your effective range is determined by your being able to place your projectile on target EVERY time not 70%, not 90% but 100%.
Congrats on a nice buck but you were extremely fortunate to have such an easy recovery.

Dear Mr. Longshooter 338
Who died and made you the long range shooting God? You have a whole lot of guts or a tremendous amount of stupidity to act as though you have never made a mistake in your lifetime while hunting!! It doesn't matter that there was a mistake made when he dialed. He still hit that buck and brought it down! And as far as your comment about the "mm police", what are you? the Chief? You better get another job because this hunter obviously has great skill to get a Buck so Nice that all these people green with envy are trying to tear apart this mans Awesome hunt! Won't work though! It is what it is....."Impressive shooting, killing a Magnificent Buck!"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-11 AT 05:26PM (MST)[p]Nice buck!!! I wouldn't post any pics or video of you killing anything on this site. It brings the crazies out of the woodwork!!!!

Good buck, good shootin don't let anyone give ya #####. Half these shmucks couldn't make a shot half that distance. Ive missed some closer and killed some farther. I am trying to learn that we all hunt different, thats just the nature of the beast. Let it roll off your back.

Longshooter338,

Get a bigger gun? Really???? Aparrently any gun less than your 338 is not qualified for long range shots. I would feel pure confidence pulling the trigger even on elk at 1000K under the right conditions with a 300 RUM! I'd even use my 280AI on elk at <700. Only thing limiting my distances with my current setup is energy.

Ivideowildlife obviously has put some good $ into his setup and I'd say he's practiced. He's not an expert, but knows enough of the game to kill chit efficiently at long distance. Learning to stay cool in these situations and verifying EVERYTHING (like what you're dialed for) about your dope before pulling the trigger is something he is now closer to learning. I'd like to see him swap out those pre-ranged turrets for some of the 1/4 MOA turrets that Nightforce offers (unless he gets their super high $ Mil/Mil/FFP scope and actually learn how to enter appropriate data to dial for each situation.

I took my gf out two weeks ago and she's a great trigger puller. She was throwing down an 8-10" groups on rocks at 856. If you know the science and can pull the trigger smoothly, then you too can shoot long distance. It ain't rocket building...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom