70-80# limbs vs. 60-70# limbs

nontypical234

If I have two identical bows set at 70 pounds but one has 60-70# limbs and the other has 70-80# limbs will one shoot better? Is there better efficiency if the limbs are cranked down or out? Or doesn't it matter?

I can tell you that I would opt for the 70 to 80 for the simple fact if you get a hitch in you shooting and the groups start opening up, a trick I learned shooting Jr archer olympic's was to crank it up a turn and this seemed to bring the groups back. If you go with 60 to 70 and shoot at 70, you have no way to adjust it up. Plus, out west I like the additional speed of the 80# limbs to buck the wind. It might only be a slight edge, but with the let off's on the bows now, why not shoot the max you can handle.....

I have been told that when a bow is cranked all the way down it will shoot its best. Plus I doesn't matter how much let off you have you still have to pull all of the weight back and I know I get a little weak after sitting down on a cold hill side for awhile. As far as wind goes I don't think the extra poundage is going to help you that much. I know my bow is only shooting at 261 fps and it doesn't have to much problem with a decent breeze until I get past 50 yards. the hardest thing about the wind is holding the bow steady and if you are holding more poundage than you should it is going to make holding the bow steady in the wind even tougher. but this is just my 2 cents.

alpinebowman

>>>--shots that are true pass right through-->

A bow shoots best in it's top end. So if you have a 60-70 lb limbs, your bow will perform best set at 70 lbs. Good Luck!

Some bows shoot better at the higher poundages for a couple reasons:

1) There is less play in the limbs and pockets when they are cranked down.
2) Most cams performance is better at the top end of the range so the trajectory is flatter.
3)It seems to minimize differential in limb deflection rates.

That being said if both bows are tuned properly you should shoot the one that you feel more comfortable with. If you're confident that you can shoot one better that's the bow you will shoot the best. Most of the equiptment made today is much better than the bows of 5-7 years ago. That's why records are still being broken with the new bows. Are the shooters better than they were in the past? Maybe, but I would have to say the bows are better. Production methods today ensure companies are making a pretty consistant product. With that being said I can tell you that some bow's don't shoot better when maxed only you can be the judge of that with your bows. Good luck and enjoy!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom