700lb Nevada Black Bear

N

NVhunter66

Well it has been confirmed, earlier this week there was a bear taken here in Nevada that was estimated at 700lbs! I talked to my friend at the Nevada Department of Agriculture who works down the hall from NDOW and he talked to Carl Lackey's wife who said this bear was tagged 19 years ago and weighed in at 330lb and was estimated to have been 8 years. I dont have any pictures of this bear but was hoping someone else had seen it and could post them.

Thanks guys,

"Elk dont know how many feet a horse had" - Bear Claw

estimating bear weight is like most people estimating yardage. 700 pound estimate might make 500 on a scale.

The biologist aren't just saying "oh that looks like a 700lb bear." I should have chosen another word other than estimate. The biologist are doing all kinds of measurements on the bear such as girth around the belly and the thickness of fat on the bear. I don't remember putting anything on here but I got another email from a friend saying another 700lb had been killed, it had a girth around his belly that was 64", and he had 5-6" of fat, and was "estimated" to be about 7 years old. I don't know very much about black bears, but I know hey normally don't get over 400lbs, and if they do they usually are really old. So a 700lb 7 year old bear seems to be a giant to me.

"Elk dont know how many feet a horse had" - Bear Claw

this post is worthless without pics.

I've killed some big bears in Canada, and not one of them came close to 700lbs. I would love to see a picture.

Why don't they just weigh the damn thing? or is it easier and more scientific to measure it's girth, inches of fat, testicular circumference and whatnot? judast!

>The biologist aren't just saying "oh
>that looks like a 700lb
>bear." I should have chosen
>another word other than estimate.
>The biologist are doing all
>kinds of measurements on the
>bear such as girth around
>the belly and the thickness
>of fat on the bear.
>I don't remember putting anything
>on here but I got
>another email from a friend
>saying another 700lb had been
>killed, it had a girth
>around his belly that was
>64", and he had 5-6"
>of fat, and was "estimated"
>to be about 7 years
>old. I don't know very
>much about black bears, but
>I know hey normally don't
>get over 400lbs, and if
>they do they usually are
>really old. So a 700lb
>7 year old bear seems
>to be a giant to
>me.
>
>"Elk dont know how many feet
>a horse had" - Bear
>Claw

Why don't they just put him on a scale?

I have no idea why they don't just weigh them, I'm just going off of what my friends says who works down that hall from Carl Lackey, and yes I was told the bear was 27 years old. I've yet to seen a picture of any of the Nevada bears. And one of the 700lb bears might be one of the top 10 bears in the world.

"Elk dont know how many feet a horse has" - Bear Claw

do have a score on that bear? I know of one with a green score of 21 6/8 . He should a official score any day .

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom