8.5x42 v. 10x42 ELs?

Bman9900

I have the go ahead from the wife to get some Swaro ELs, but I wanted to get some opinions on what power to go with. I mainly bowhunt the high country out west and I have 10x42s now and they seem to fit my needs, but I have a bowhunting buddy who is of the opinion that the 8.5x42 ELs are the way to go. Any thoughts from you guys?

I own the 10x42 glass and love them, personally for me I like the extra power. The 8x42 is a great glass that combo of power and objective is very good but like I said I like the 10 power glass.

Good luck,

Slide

I carried both around for a few months.

The 8.5's have a larger field of view, but more importantly in my opinion they have a greater depth of field. More of what you are viewing is in focus. But for some reason heat waves seem to affect the 8.5's more than the 10's.

The 10's obviously hold the edge in power and seemed to give me a couple more minutes of glassing in the morning and evening. I think this plays into the power edge also. I also feel that if you are going to own just one pair of glasses the 10's are a better choice.

The power to objective ratio is so close that it doesn't factor into the decision. I think I can hold the 8.5's steadier, but that could just be a mental thing.

From 0 to 400 yards with either glass I was getting the subject detail I wanted. From 400 to 700 yards the 10's out preformed the 8.5's in giving me subject detail. After 700 yards I was reaching for bigger glass anyway so there was no difference.

I picked the 8.5's. I liked the brightness and the depth of field. I also have other optics available if I need more power, and don't mind carrying a spotting scope or 15's.

If you are very weight conscience, I would pick the 10's and make due without a scope, or if this will be your only pair the 10's are a better choice in my opinion.

Most hunters I feel overlook the 8.5's, Either glass is great, and you will be happy with them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom