8 power verses 10?

3blade

Very Active Member
Guys, I need a little advice. I have come across a pair of binos that I like that I also have in 10 x 43 at a steal of a deal. I have always used 10 power binos but these are 8's. So I have been thinking about the 10's and how I always have to get a good solid rest to hold them steady for good glassing, usually elbows on the knees or something like that. I looked through a decent pair of 7's last yr in the field and noticed how easy they were to hold steady without any rest of any kind. So I am thinking the 8's would be close to the same in ease of use, meaning to hold steady. It makes sense that even though they are a little weaker they might be just as good or maybe better for finding game.

The relative brightness rating on the 8 is 10.5 greater than the 10 and the exit pupil is 1.1 larger on the 8. So the 8 should be much better in low light.

The question is, does an 8 power have an advantage over the 10's because they are easier to hold steady or does the power of the 10 trump the 8 overall? You know what I mean?

The 8 will be a better over all bino, wider FOV and brighter. If you use a spotter in combination with your 8 power bino its a no brainer. 8 power is easier to hold steady. Most of the new premium 10x binos are getting too light and it affects what you can see even though you have the power.

The 8x will have the advantages of having wider fov, being brighter, and it will have less eye strain over a long day. Additionally, 8x will handle mirage better than 10x, remember 10x magnifies everything more, including, mirage and image shake. Since it does have more magnification, it also makes the thing you are looking at larger. There is no way to say what is better.

If it is a good deal, go for it. It just gives you another good tool to use.

I have 6x,7x,8x,9x, and 10x binoculars. Some binocular in 8x gets used the most.

I currently have a pair of 10x42 SLC. Great binos but after several years I am leaning towards replacing them with a pair of 8x. Most of the time they are used in conjunction with a spotting scope while backpack hunting. The issue I am trying to resolve is the shaking when using a bino while hiking. Using a 10x stationary is no problem, but I find them difficult to use when on the move. Not to mention I can shave off 1/2 a pound going to an 8x.

>I currently have a pair of
>10x42 SLC. Great binos
>but after several years I
>am leaning towards replacing them
>with a pair of 8x.
> Most of the time
>they are used in conjunction
>with a spotting scope while
>backpack hunting. The issue
>I am trying to resolve
>is the shaking when using
>a bino while hiking.
>Using a 10x stationary is
>no problem, but I find
>them difficult to use when
>on the move. Not
>to mention I can shave
>off 1/2 a pound going
>to an 8x.

Thats just about the same problem I have. The 10's are great if you can get a steady rest, but if I'm glassing standing up offhand I can't seem to hold them steady enough.

I prefer 8X for the very reasons you mentioned. If I can sit and take my time I would rather have 10X but 80% of my "Glassing" is done standing, and quickly as I move through an area. The 8x work great and if I have time to post up, out come the 15X or the spotter.

3blade
I agree with the others. I also have 10x40, but always use the 8x50. They are steadier, brighter, heaver but that keeps them steady. You will never go back. I too carry 15x56 and always use a good solid tripod. Sorry thats too obvious.
Do the deal kid, you won't be sorry!
Steve Cheuvront

It all depends on the country you hunt. Glassing at 100 yards vs 750-1000.
Personally, I wouldn't buy a pair of 8's with somebody else's money.
I just went from 10's to 12's and it's the best optics money I've spent.

If you are hunting the brush and in the trees the most, go with the 8. If you are going to need some open glass time on hills looking over mountains and valleys stick with the 10's.

My best advice, sit down with a tripod with either (espcially the 10) and stay awhile. You'll see more game regardless. Yes, easier to hold the 8 still, but put em on a light pod and you'll see a lot more game and enjoy your hunting experience more.

I hunt with 10's (el's) on my neck and 15x (SLC) in the pack with a small Nikon 13-40 spotter in the pack. The tripod makes all the difference for both!

Good luck to you.

WapitiBob & porterrockwell, point taken. I missed the deal any way so I'll stick with the 10's. thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom