A Friend's NIce Utah Desert Sheep

buglinbilly

Very Active Member
Just thought some of you guys might want to see a buddies desert sheep he just took Saturday.

9234shanes_desert_ram.jpg

Have a good one BB

Nice!!

Your buddy and I got our Rockies the same year....

I am still waiting to draw my D-Ram though.

congrats

Robb

>Nice!!
>
>Your buddy and I got our
>Rockies the same year....
>
>I am still waiting to draw
>my D-Ram though.
>
>congrats
>
>Robb

Robb I was with him the day he took his Rocky. In fact he was in one canyon, while i scouted another. I found a group of sheep, in which the ram he ended up taking, was a part. I went back and found him and he came over and shot the ram with his ole muzzleloader. It ended up being the biggest sheep shot that year in Utah, and the second best ram ever taken with a muzzleloader as I recall. He lucked out the very next year and drew a goat tag and took one of the largest billies ever taken with a smoke pole..

He had a very tough hunt for this years ram from what he tells me. He didn't see many sheep and most of the ones he did see were very small. I think in many areas, Utah's deserts have had most of the big rams taken. But I wasn't on this hunt but value what he says, as he is a hard hunter and willing to pay the price in about every way.

Here's another photo of his 2012 desert ram.

7646shanes_desert_ram2.jpg

And good luck to you Robb on drawing your desert tag before you get too old to hunt it. It happens fast once you hit a point!

Have a good one. BB

Billy,
Thanks for sharing the pics! Can you share what unit?
It is too bad you where not with him so he could have a complete detailed picture portfolio! LOL It looks like he managed to get a few good pictures though.
Congratulations to your friend! Some of the Utah Desert units are struggling. Hopefully Robb and I can draw before they all die!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-06-12 AT 03:59PM (MST)[p]Looks like he was with Team High Desert. Couldn't be in better hands. If this was an Escalante ram, I feel his pain. An amazing place like no other. What a beautiful ram and the memories he will have. cb

Congratulations to your friend. That is a fantastic ram. My turn is coming soon (I think) with 17 pts going into next years draw.

Fantastic Ram... Any guess on score? I was fortunate to draw a nevada tag this year and am trying to better understand score!

Bill,

Congrats to your friend! He has sure had the luck pulling tags and hard work has blessed him with some fine trophies!

Robb,

Next year is your year! You gotta believe!!

BB,
As I recall your friend had to make a couple trips (long trips) into the unit to get the job done.
That's a real ass-kicking unit and not in a good way!
Congrats to your friend on making the most of a great tag.

Zeke

Yes he was in the Escalante unit and I think that was his 3rd trip.

I drew that unit in 2002 and before I drew, but after I applied, I ended up having to have back surgery. Right after my surgery I found out I had drawn. I was really worried but I recovered very fast and within a month I was hiking 6 miles a day. Within two months I was doing that, with a weighted pack and within three months I was able to do it with a 70 lb. pack. Boy was I ever thankful and happy I recovered that fast. But in late August, of that year, my heal started to hurt and within two weeks I could not walk. I ended up going to the doc and found out I had a bad case of plantar facetious. I had several shots, did physical therapy, but to no avail and had to end up turing my tag back, just a few days before the hunt was scheduled to open.

In those days that was a great unit. although very demanding to get to the nice sheep. (Its about a 17 mile, hard, hike just to get to where you can hunt.) That is where my buddy went, but there were very few sheep in there and really not a ram he wanted.

I ended up drawing the Dirty Devil in 2004. I am strictly a bowhunter, and ended up not getting a sheep, but I got and missed two shots, at a huge ram, that my buddy who got this ram, found for me. Since that time, that unit too has declined drastically too.

But my buddy Shane is a hard hunter and sticks with it until he can get it done.

Have a good one. BB

Great pics! Congrats to the hunter! Doubt I will ever draw desert! If I draw my Rm in the next year or 2 and it takes 20 years to draw desert hell I will be a ghost! Rutnbuck

Sure Bill, thanks.

I went Mnt. Goat after my Rocky tag.

I drew the Mnt. Goat and then started on the Desert Ram....

That is the last one I need to have all my OIL species....on the wall.....come on D-Ram tag!

Shane and I met that Rocky Ram year down at the UFNAWS gig back when it was still at the Fair Grounds.

Those where the days---Mr. Mastranardy and Mr. Messerly where my sheep hunting ---- mentors.

Robb

That is a very nice Ram, and certainly represents the better sheep in the unit, what else can you hope for?

Great Ram, and great country.

Congrats!

BB,
Your buddy did well! Congrats again to him.

You're certainly correct about the Escalante and the Dirty Devil. The Escalante has really slipped.... and couple that with the fact that it's the toughest unit to access and hunt in the State makes it a lower pick for most guys. It's one tough, physically demanding mudder!

I hunted the DD in 2009 and also in 2010 and it was OK but starting to slip. If I recall correctly there were like 7 tags in 2008 and 1 tag this year. BAD DEAL!

The North San Rafael is another unit which has been hit hard with whatever kills off the sheep. I've heard that wild sheep are always walking around looking for a place to die. haha

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom