A new Director for Game and Fish? Good or a battle?

elks96

Long Time Member
Just saw that Nesvik is retiring in Sept. is this a Governor appointed position? How will his replacement be selected?

What do you want in a new director?

Interesting comments above about the process.
However, according to the local "Wyoming expert" on the Wyoming Forums he said just a couple days ago that "The Residents decide who to represent them and the wildlife in this state" (just as I figured - this is an appointed position and not an elected position)

Seriously though, I don't have a say in Wyoming but I hope you get someone who knows something about wildlife. A lot of these types of positions get filled by politicians and "who you knows" and not by what they know. We have been very fortunate in my home state to have good leaders.

Interesting comments above about the process.
However, according to the local "Wyoming expert" on the Wyoming Forums he said just a couple days ago that "The Residents decide who to represent them and the wildlife in this state" (just as I figured - this is an appointed position and not an elected position)
The "Wyoming expert" is correct as residents elect our Governor.

Yes, governors are elected, but once in office they appoint a lot of others that are making decisions. So residents technically aren't deciding who fills those seats. (just like NFH's comment about appointing task force positions and MH's comment above). We all know those positions get filled by campaign supporters, friends, etc and not necessarily by the most qualified person.

Sorry - I didn't intend to derail this thread. My apologies.

Again, I hope WY gets a good replacement. Those positions wield a lot of power.

Here in Colo we agree that a Governor that is an avid hunter is important! Take a look at how things have changed with Pollis in charge!

I was told by a little birdie who works for GF that they were going to conduct a national search for the new director. Swell.
That has not worked out the two times in the last 40 years the G&F Department hired a Director from the "outside".

The first one was fired by the Governor after six months on the job. The Governor did not appreciate being lied to so the Governor at the time gave the guy two hours to clean out his desk and get out.

The next one was not retained as the G&F Director when a new Governor was elected.

ClearCreek

Is the WY division just fish and wildlife? Or does it also oversee parks like some other states?

I know everyone on this forum is a hunter but these directors and departments also need to represent fishermen interests, other recreational interests, landowner interests, tourism, etc.

MH mentioned them doing a national search. I guess this could be both good and bad. Good in the sense that it would qualifications based and not based on "who you know" but bad in the fact that a selected individual wouldn't have the longevity of being a Wyoming resident and aware of all the historical nuances.

Nontypical, hopefully that's the way Wyo stays! Hunters had no choice in Colo when they switched over to adding parks. It was the worse thing that could have happened.

I'm not sure if you've heard but here in Colo the Governor appoints the commissioners on the CPW. The sh$t hit the fan when Pollis pushed for several appointees that had no desire to cooperate and coordinate efforts with hunters on different policies.

If anyone watched the first release of wolves in Colo....well, Pollis was the guy that opened the first wolf cage door!

Hopefully Wyoming hunters and voters stay in tune with governor and other political candidates. The animal rights people are pretty crafty!

Nontypical, hopefully that's the way Wyo stays! Hunters had no choice in Colo when they switched over to adding parks. It was the worse thing that could have happened.

I'm not sure if you've heard but here in Colo the Governor appoints the commissioners on the CPW. The sh$t hit the fan when Pollis pushed for several appointees that had no desire to cooperate and coordinate efforts with hunters on different policies.

If anyone watched the first release of wolves in Colo....well, Pollis was the guy that opened the first wolf cage door!

Hopefully Wyoming hunters and voters stay in tune with governor and other political candidates. The animal rights people are pretty crafty!
Right, they're "crafty" because guys like you don't show up for anything but buying tags. Not hard to out maneuver your opposition when there isn't any.

Wouldn't call them crafty, more like willing to show up.

I'm not talking "MY POSITION" I'm talking all of "OUR POSITIONS" as hunters! Wyo, Colo, and other states need all the help they can get! Both nonres and res hunters need to unit together to battle controversial positions across the West that impact ALL HUNTERS!

Mark my word, the activists have their own way of "showing up", being involved, and getting officials elected or placed in high positions. so be prepared!

Regardless of what Buzz may say, nonresidents in every Western state bring big out-of-state revenue to states so nonres voices are super important! A great example of this was ALL HUNTERS uniting to fight several of the commissioner appointees by Polis in Colo! Thank you, nonresidents that sent your messages and voices of support to Colorado!

Right-on Buzz! Showing up and knowing exactly what is going on is important. There are other crafty and pro-active ways to be involved other than showing up!

Again, I'm not so short-sided that I only talk about "MY POSITION", I'm talking "OUR POSITION" as hunters!

I'm not talking "MY POSITION" I'm talking all of "OUR POSITIONS" as hunters! Wyo, Colo, and other states need all the help they can get! Both nonres and res hunters need to unit together to battle controversial positions across the West that impact ALL HUNTERS!

Mark my word, the activists have their own way of "showing up", being involved, and getting officials elected or placed in high positions. so be prepared!

Regardless of what Buzz may say, nonresidents in every Western state bring big out-of-state revenue to states so nonres voices are super important! A great example of this was ALL HUNTERS uniting to fight several of the commissioner appointees by Polis in Colo! Thank you, nonresidents that sent your messages and voices of support to Colorado!

Right-on Buzz! Showing up and knowing exactly what is going on is important. There are other crafty and pro-active ways to be involved other than showing up!

Again, I'm not so short-sided that I only talk about "MY POSITION", I'm talking "OUR POSITION" as hunters!
Right, you're like a blister, you show up once the work is done.

Let's unite around 90-10 for deer, elk, and pronghorn in Wyoming and work for the common good of resident hunters.

When it comes to a new Director I wish the best for Wyoming, it’s hunters and it’s big game, sport fishing wildlife. It’s been such a success story for the last 100 years, it’s one of the last great places, imo.

Yep Buzz, it's the res vs nonres hunter mentality all the way......no need to join forces on key issues that impact us all.

How many of those Colo wolves just introduced are going to end up in Wyo, Utah, and Idaho? What happens in Colo is likely sooner or later coming to Wyo and other adjoining states. Keep your eyes peeled Wyo and other surrounding states!

Is the WY division just fish and wildlife? Or does it also oversee parks like some other states?

I know everyone on this forum is a hunter but these directors and departments also need to represent fishermen interests, other recreational interests, landowner interests, tourism, etc.

MH mentioned them doing a national search. I guess this could be both good and bad. Good in the sense that it would qualifications based and not based on "who you know" but bad in the fact that a selected individual wouldn't have the longevity of being a Wyoming resident and aware of all the historical nuances.
It is the Wyoming Game and Fish Department. Not a Division. When you have a Dept you need a Director. The Director is chosen by the Governor. It is mainly a political position and you are at the will of that Governor. If a new Governor comes into play he can fire the Director if he wants and put his own choice for Director.

It is the Wyoming Game and Fish Department. Not a Division. When you have a Dept you need a Director. The Director is chosen by the Governor. It is mainly a political position and you are at the will of that Governor. If a new Governor comes into play he can fire the Director if he wants and put his own choice for Director.
The Utah process is the same.

If you want influence on who’s appointed, go straight to the Governor or someone the Governor listens to. Otherwise, walk out on your back steps and howl at the moon.

It’s quite surprising what you can get done when the Governor is on your side…… so, it helps to help elect the Governor. Course that doesn’t surprise anybody.

Yep Buzz, it's the res vs nonres hunter mentality all the way......no need to join forces on key issues that impact us all.

How many of those Colo wolves just introduced are going to end up in Wyo, Utah, and Idaho? What happens in Colo is likely sooner or later coming to Wyo and other adjoining states. Keep your eyes peeled Wyo and other surrounding states!
Meh, we've had wolves for 3 decades.

The sky isn't falling.

You'll have even more coming from the south soon! I guess having more wolves doesn't matter. Makes a lot of sense!

You'll have even more coming from the south soon! I guess having more wolves doesn't matter. Makes a lot of sense!
Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Been hunting wolf central in Montana since the late 80's. They're present about everywhere I hunt.

They don't concern me at all, just one more thing to buy a license for.

I guess if a person is a chitty hunter I see it mattering?

Last edited:
The candidates are chosen by the Commission, the Gov chooses from there.
And yes, the whole thing is political.

I'm sure there are some - but I can't recall a single successful example of an 'outsider' to a G&F Department Director position working out well in the handful of western States I've tracked over the years. I think it is critical they have the knowledge/experience/culture of the State's sportsmen...doesn't necessarily need to be someone from existing G&F agency, but I'd not be looking real hard for someone outside WY. $.02

Same thing happened last time when Nesvik was appointed. They interviewed a guy from Montana and a guy from Texas.

Right, they're "crafty" because guys like you don't show up for anything but buying tags. Not hard to out maneuver your opposition when there isn't any.

Wouldn't call them crafty, more like willing to show up.

By that you mean not enough Republicans voted?

While I'm sure the mayor of Laramie is 3rd on the governor's call list, in the real world, an appointed position is done by the governor, not a committee.

Which generally means, some sort of "donation" somewhere

What, nonresident wolves taking away from Wyoming resident wolves?!?!
That will surely stir up the hornets.

"Let's unite around 90-10 for deer, elk, and pronghorn in Wyoming and work for the common good of resident hunters."

As a NR, I would support that. Actually those percentages are pretty well aligned with many other states (Colorado just reduced theirs to 80/20 and 75/25). I would support 90/10 on two conditions:
1) As long as it was across the board for ALL d/e/p licenses that allow the harvesting of bucks/bulls (including general units).
2) If they eliminated the special & regular and made it all one draw. Even at current 16% for elk by the time they split up the few available NR tags there are too many units that have nothing left for the random draw.

"Let's unite around 90-10 for deer, elk, and pronghorn in Wyoming and work for the common good of resident hunters."

As a NR, I would support that. Actually those percentages are pretty well aligned with many other states (Colorado just reduced theirs to 80/20 and 75/25). I would support 90/10 on two conditions:
1) As long as it was across the board for ALL d/e/p licenses that allow the harvesting of bucks/bulls (including general units).
2) If they eliminated the special & regular and made it all one draw. Even at current 16% for elk by the time they split up the few available NR tags there are too many units that have nothing left for the random draw.
And get rid of the bs wilderness rule.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom