A stick or a bullet

MountainSqwabler

Didn't realize that I have enough pp for colorado 61 1st rifle. Was looking into a unit 76 archery bull hunt.

Would yall stick with the archery hunt, or go for the 61 1st rifle? I'm really after a fun hunt and great experience, with the goal of no less than a 300" bull.

I love to bow hunt so would choose that. However, in most cases you odds of harvesting go up drastically with the rifle. If your end goal is a dead 300"+, probably should choose the rifle hunt.

Unit 61 is a “better” unit, totally differerent terrain too, but I’m sure either would be a great hunt, and 300 bull is possible either area, so whatever floats your boat! If you don’t have a full 2 weeks or even more for the 76 archery hunt, or can’t manage the 12K high country as well, that would put the rifle hunt on top.

I’m burning next year too I’m done with the damn point game, have a few points but will never catch enough to hunt the north west units haven’t spent any time in 76, but I may lean towards that, depends how long I can get to hunt, otherwise might muzzle load in another unit. Already fun to think about, shot a bull that grossed 347 this year, wasn’t sure when I was going to kill a “big” bull in my life so I’d like to shoot one bigger but that turns into a real tall order quick here in Co. I’d be happy with lots of bugles, can’t be screaming bulls!

Well you have a butt load of points. Think you need to pick what weapon type and terrain you want to hunt. I am in the same boat at 23 NR points. Still feel like I am in no man’s land. Wish you luck.

If I were you, based off my experiences. If I were to hunt 61 it would only be archery, Muzzy, or early rifle. That first rifle isn’t that good if your after the older age class/bigger bulls. If I was sitting in your points situation and wanted to try and kill the best bull possible I’d hold out for 61 archery or muzzleloader or I’d go to unit 40 on a 3rd season tag.

Looking at it, I can draw any tag I want for unit 40. 1st rifle takes the most to draw in 40, at 12pp. Would that be something to look at doing for archery or muzzy or even 1st rifle over the 61, 1st rifle?

Keep in mind that I can do a guided hunt to maximize odds and such in either of the units I have talked about.

I helped two different friends in 61. In '14 finally found one on the last day of rifle season. Long shot, he wounded it and we never found it. In '16 muzzleloader I called in and he shot a 317 and was happy. I'd go muzzleloader over 1st rifle and archery unless you have more than 2 weeks for archery.

How good are your odds. If great on both I’d consider rifle for the score option. Cause building a ton of points in Colorado looks to be a bad strategy. There’s great bulls in multiple units. And they don’t kill big enough bulls to stack 12+ points in Colorado IMO. It seems you could hunt a decent unit 4-5 times and maximize your odds that way to kill a tank.

What about Muzzy hunt? Longer than first rifle if I recall correct, better odds of the kill but not sacrificing much over a rifle hunt…

What about Muzzy hunt? Longer than first rifle if I recall correct, better odds of the kill but not sacrificing much over a rifle hunt…
More after an archery hunt. I'm really after the experience, and from every outfitter I have spoken to, all have stated that, even though your chances of killing an animal go drastically up with rifle hunting, the bigger bulls are typically killed during archery.

Yup, guided private land in 40 might be the best hunt in this state.
Fingers crossed. If I had the points I would absolutely do a 61 archery hunt, but alas....I'm a few years off that. But since the wife gave me the thumbs up to dish out some cash on a 40 hunt, it's absolutely the best way to go. I do appreciate the help you've unknowingly given to me though! (Been digging around in the archives lol)

And also I hear people often get some kind of sicky time flu, or boo boo's while hunting in 61, and they are always one day behind their trail cam pics of 500" bulls.

More after an archery hunt. I'm really after the experience, and from every outfitter I have spoken to, all have stated that, even though your chances of killing an animal go drastically up with rifle hunting, the bigger bulls are typically killed during archery.
The Muzzy hunt is in the archery season.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom