A year of many "firsts"

huntfishall1

So I hunted a new general unit for mule deer in the central mountains. Got sick of too many boneheads in the southeast part of the state where I used to hunt and enjoyed for many years so I decided to try something different. Well....different it was. I had many "firsts" on this particular trip:

First opening day in a general unit I saw NO other hunters.
First time see NO other hunters during the entire hunt - I hunted 8 days straight and never saw another soul (other than a couple guys at a trailhead and roadhunters when switching to a new new spot)
First time I didnt hear another gun shot on opening day. Actually in 8 days I heard two shots on day 7 and that is it. The SE part of the state is a war-zone come opening day!
First time I saw NO elk during a general hunt.
First time I didnt see a doe on opening day - actually only saw one doe the entire trip, day 8 right after I killed a buck and spooked it in the timber, go figure.
First time seeing a mountain goat on a trip in Idaho- pretty cool, saw many of them actually.
First time NOT seeing deer up high, they were all lower elevation than I thought they would be.

I'm sure there are others, but cant think of them now.

Trip was successful, saw some beautiful new country, harvested a 23.5" wide 4x4 (saw him on day 2 and passed, came back day 8 and he was still there), and saw one much bigger big buck two different times and didnt seal the deal, I guess thats hunting! The warm weather and full moon might have played a part in all this too,

2793101_3467.jpg

Great trip.

Even though those central units have low deer densities, the 2 times I've hunted up in there I saw no other hunters and the few deer I did see were older bucks.

It always seems like it's worth the effort and time compared to these war zones in SW and SE Idaho.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom