Accountability in Conservation Organizations

Utah400Elk

Very Active Member
I know there is a lot of people who either support or despise SFW. This is a heated topic that will NOT be decided in a MM forum. Given that, is the anybody on either side that thinks a more open book policy from all Conservation Organizations wouldn't be a good thing? The Conservation Organizations (in Utah) are given hundreds of public tags. Is there anybody that really thinks the public shouldn't be able to see where the Money goes? If the groups don't want to give out the financial info, Utah should pull their tags. It really comes down to their choices IMO. If they want to be supported by public tags they should open their books. If they don't want to open their books to the public then they should be forced to live without the handouts. I have never tried to hide my stance on SFW but to me this is a seperate issue. Who really thinks the financial info of any non-profit Conservation Organization should be kept secret? This goes to MDF, RMEF, DU etc.

With you 100%! Any organization that gets any tags like we're talking about should have open and easily accessible books. If they don't want to comply with that requirement, then they should have to rely on donations and other legal means of running their organizations.

The proposed amendment to the Convention Permit rule that has been circulated by the UWC is a step in the right direction. It requires an annual audit of funds generated from the permits and mandates that 90% of the revenues be spent on approved conservation projects.

Given the recent responses from SFW and the DWR (see the recent letter from the Director of the DWR to David Allen of the RMEF), however, I think it will be a major uphill battle to get any significant traction on this issue. If we want to make a difference and begin to fix the problem all of us as sportsmen will have to band together and demand increased transparency and accountability.

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

+1 Hawkeye

+1Topgun

Their books should be open. No question. If they don't want to open their books, then they should no longer receive those tags to sell to the highest bidder. Bring someone else in to do it that will keep their books open. Any organization that hides their books is obviously up to no good and out to only benefit from their position. That's not an organization I want to have a hand in anything. I want an organization with hands in things that are putting the animals and the public before themselves. Not someone who is greedy and wants power.

I was not at all impressed with the expo last year so I think if SFW is going to be running the show next year, I won't even bother putting my name in ANY hat let alone even show up. I'll save my money for something else.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom