Advice from fellow hunters

J

jbigb30

I'm in sort of dilemma. I have 7 points for bision (utah) and none for goat but a new unit for mt goat just opened literally in my own back hard of the Nebo for mt goats. Do I take a chance on the goat tag since its so close or just keep diving in the bison pool

It will take you a long long time for either unless you get very lucky! pick the one you would rather hunt!

But they give out alot more goat tags and very few bison so you would probably draw goat long before bison even with 7 points

That's a tough decision. I'm the same way with 6 moose and wishing I had done goat. Seems like more people move through the goat units without the point creep moving up too much. Just because it is a new unit though, doesn't mean it will be easy to draw. You will have to win the lottery for either species most likely so pick the one you want to hunt the most and go for it. Good luck!

www.biggamedrawodds.com

Please put in for Bison so my odds will be better for Goat. I have 9 points and am hoping to draw. If I draw I would hope that you could help me find a great animal. Any rumors on how many tags might be given out?

You're better off switching unless you want a bison more than a goat. Even though you'll lose your points, you'll probably still draw sooner for goats than for Buffalo. You're still a long ways away from getting a buffalo tag but if they were goat points you'd be close to a tag.
They're both really cool animals to hunt and the experiences are totally different. So, like other have said, pick the one you want most and stick with it.
Good luck,
Zeke

Can you alternate everyother year? Keeping your points for bison but still getting points for goats? Your age definately has a part in that choice though...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

You will keep your points as long as you apply for something. You do not lose points by switching to another species. You just have to apply, at least every 3 years.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom