Advice on Unit 40 deer hunt

D

DoubleJ

Looking for some advice on unit 40 deer in November... Would it do any good to start scouting now? Seems the deer migrate and will be different areas in November. I have spent some time out there in Dec hunting lions and have been lucky enough to draw a unit 42 tag twice. My plan is to glass and hike my butt off and have a fairly good idea where to hunt. Just curios how you would hunt it and if you would do any scouting?

Thanks for any advice

so you drew the tag twice i haven't ever drawn EVER, and now you drew another tag i have put in for twenty times at least, and don't know where to hunt..........

Congrats on your draw.....but ya, same here...been 15+ years unsuccessful on draws. That's why I wish Idaho would go to a points system. Because apparently the "random" draw isn't so random. It's been very frustrating.

Yes I have been blessed and have drawn Unit 42 twice. But That was back in 1993 and 1996. 18 YEARS AGO. I feel your frustration... I am familiar with the Owhyees and never asked anyone where to hunt. just ask for your opinion on the migration and if scouting would be beneficial? Last time we hunted 42 we did a lot of hiking and glassing and ended up killing 2 awesome bucks...

Why would you hike and scout. As big as that area is, I would be using an atv to cover as much ground as possible glassing and scouting. The first time I put in for 40 in 2010, I drew the tag. Didn't draw anything in 2012, but I drew an area 30 elk license last season. Gotta like Idaho...

nothing has changed in 40 in the last 15 plus years other than fewer big bucks a few fires here & there. if u had good luck the way u hunted back than it should work for 40 as well!! Find does & u will find bucks lots of country & these bucks will move miles after the ladies !! Good luck

Congrats on your tag, sorry you have to hear all the whining on here.

I have helped on an early elk hunt in Unit 40 and then on an antelope hunt, but never for bucks. I have both hunted and helped on other late hunts, and do know that in most of those it is difficult to scout as both weather and the migration changes things. The one thing I learned on late hunts is you need to find out where the does will congregate. That's where the big bucks will show. The farther from the road the better, but frankly I've never found rutting bucks to be too warry if the rut is really on.

I'm not sure holding out for a 180-200" buck is as realistic as it used to be, but certainly this is a great hunt if you have time and a lot of energy to spend looking.

I'm probably not telling you anything special, most likely Unit 42 will prepare you more for a unit 40 hunt, than any of the hunts I've helped/participated in.

Remember, like 42, that can be scarry country to get out of if it get's a lot of moisture.

Keep us updated. Some of us won't be resentful of your luck and success.

BPKHunter.

Thank you for your comments and encouragement on a successful hunt. I started this post mostly to B.S about mule deer hunting in the Owhyees. Will try to post some pics of some bucks my brother, brother-in law and myself have taken in the last 20 years in the Owhyee units. It will be a fun hunt, it's a time of year when my dad, brothers and I get to hang out and do what we love... Hunt mule deer.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-17-14 AT 11:11AM (MST)[p]Holy Cow! A guy post about a great tag that he drew and all he gets is a bunch a flak from bitter/jealous dudes! Below are a few deer that myself, DoubleJ,and our brother-in-law have had the opportunity in taking over the past 20yrs all in the Owhyees.
My 2012 Owhyees buck

Brother-in-laws Owhyee Buck

1996 Owhyee Buck (no field photos)

1993 Owhyee buck (no field photos)

And a few Cats DoubleJ and myself have taken over the years

You know, I am grateful that we live in a country that grants us all the chance to speak our minds and say what we like at any time! I know a lot of folks gave it all to grant us that freedom. I am grateful for the upbringing I had and the state for witch my parents raised me in (Idaho). Its a great state! I have no doubt that DoubleJ will find the deer he will love to hang his tag on. Good luck to all this upcoming season.

Well said....and thanks for putting up some pictures of our adventures...

Life to short to be so negitive and resentful of ones good fortune (18 year coming). Hopefully all will have our turn and I wish everyone good luck on this years hunts. I hope next year I can be in the same boat somewhere out west. Colorado (13 points). Wyoming (9 points). Nevada (5 points) Utah (6 points) and Idaho doing what I love to do, hunt mule deer with my dad and brothers.

>spoken like a true non native
>probable californian

Spoken like someone who thinks he is "entitled", which is more of a liberal California like mentality than any I can think of.

Why don't you leave this guy's thread alone so we can enjoy talking about hunting.

Well double j you have me beat on some states for bonus points I don't put in for deer in Nevada or Utah! You don't have any points for the infamous Arizona strip! I will draw that tag one day until then I will donate my license fees to the cause since we cant buy an kiabab archery tag over the counter any more! But my son drew unit 40 when he was 12 and he drew a cow tag as well I didn't put in with him and he was successful on both. I watched him miss and miss on a buck that pushed 36" wide non-typical but in the end he harvest a descent 26-1/2" buck(4x4) ...I am jealous because I haven't drawn but thankful for the time with my son. I have two boys that in the next three years will be 12 and I will put in with them...lol good luck on anybody who has the tag!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-14 AT 07:01PM (MST)[p]Wow!! talk about a friendly crowd!
Hey DoubleJ sent you a p.m.........

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom