Age Limit

Peakbagger

Hey guys I got a question that maybe one of you can answer for me. My son turns twelve on Oct 22nd and he wants to put in on Moose. I thought that he could put in on a draw that opens before his B-Day but couldn't hunt until he actually turns 12. I have a friend that says he cant draw the tag if it opens before his B-Day, I know I could just call Fish and Game but I figured one of you guys have probably dealt with this before. If that is the case I was just going to put him in on one of the two week hunts that start in Nov. instead. Thanks for any help.

I believe that he can put in and draw the tag even if hes not 12 when the hunt opens he just cant get the tag until his birthday,and then he can hunt the rest of the season.

Here is exactly what it says in the regs.
"Age Limit: Only properly licensed youths 12 or older may
hunt big game, except an 11-year-old may buy a license to
apply for a controlled hunt permit, but he or she must be 12
years old at the time of the hunt."
It Does not say he has to be 12 at the start of the season.

Big Game Rules

Age Limit: Only properly licensed youths 12 or older may hunt big game, EXCEPT an 11 - year old may buy a license to apply for a controlled hunt permit, but he or she must be 12 years old at the time of the hunt.

I'd say that you're good to go when he turns 12........
But then I don't necessarily trust what I read. "at time of hunt", may mean opening day!

Call F&G!

You better call fish and game to get the exact details of the rule. Reason I say that is, keep in mind, if he draws the tag you apply for but he can NOT even go pick up the tag until he is 12, any tag that is not picked up by the deadline to get them are considered "unclaimed" and go back in for the second draw. I believe for OIL species they send you the tag instead of going and picking it up, but if he isn't 12, they may not send it to him and if he hasn't picked it up by the deadline date to pick them up, it may just go into the pool for the second drawing instead of them holding it for him until he is 12. Call them...

Pg. 34 in the rulebook:

Any permits leftover after the first drawing will be offered in a second drawing. Nonresident quotas and waiting period restrictions do not apply in the second drawing or leftover sales.

The application period for the second trophy species drawing will be June 15-25, with the drawing June 30. Any leftovers from the second drawing will go on sale July 10. Remember, application, permit and tag fees must be included for trophy species. You may apply in the second trophy drawing, or purchase a leftover moose tag, even if you have previously harvested a moose in Idaho.

Leftover controlled hunt permits for moose, mountain goat and
bighorn sheep go on sale July 10.

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

has anyone seen my kittie

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom