Airplane Crash in the Book Cliffs

bonepiler

I was watching the news last night and apparently a fixed-wing aircraft stalled out and crashed in a canyon in the Book Cliffs. They walked away unharmed. Apparently the guys were scouting elk. Go figure! I didn't think anyone scouted with aircraft in the Book Cliffs. (subtle sarcasm). When is the FAA going to put a control tower out there?

Here's the Salt Lake Tribune's report on it.....

Two men escaped serious injury when their plane crashed and flipped Wednesday morning in rural Grand County.

Jim Jennings, of Cleveland, Utah, hired Spencer Loveless of Price to fly a Cessna 172M to search for elk in the Book Cliffs, Grand County sheriff's deputies wrote in a press statement.

The plane was flying out of a canyon in the Santio Knolls area when Loveless realized the plane could not clear the ridgeline and tried to fly back into the canyon.
The plane hit the ground and flipped onto its top.
Both men crawled out uninjured. - Erin Alberty

A terrible airplane to use in any high altitude area, especially down in a canyon. They both lucked out.

Isn't there a time limit on flying during a hunting season? The archery hunt was in progress, so wouldn't that apply?
If I remember right, I think it says you can't fly the 48 hours before any hunt?????

Anyone know the law for sure??

Rick, I was under the same understanding that it was ILLEGAL!

Why dont these guys do it the right way and get ther freakin butts out there and WALK!!!!!!!!!! Like the rest of us!

Penalty for Aerial Scouting (any day of the year): Forfeiture of aircraft, 10 year guiding and hunting license revocation.

Aerial scouting is cheating. Aerial scouting will continue to become more and more popular and will continue to reduce the opportunity to the general public to harvest large bucks and bulls. I despise guides and hunters that think that it is acceptable to use aircraft to locate trophy game. Where is the respect for the hunt and the animal? I cannot understand why F&G departments allow this to happen any day of the year (and I hope they nail these guys for doing it when it is currently illegal, but i doubt they will).

-RPinenut

i hope they didnt crash on my tent its right around there
for next week end i could have told them what was out there
from 3 days on horseback i feel violated they get to use a
plane glad it crashed hope they get the damn plane out so i
dont have to look at it

>Isn't there a time limit on
>flying during a hunting season?
> The archery hunt was
>in progress, so wouldn't that
>apply?
>If I remember right, I think
>it says you can't fly
>the 48 hours before any
>hunt?????
>
>Anyone know the law for sure??
>

I thought that only applied to a hunt which you have a tag for?

Rut

From what I read here from the Proc. It sounds like it was against the law to fly in an area with an open hunt to look for animals.

"(2)(a) A person may not use any type of aircraft, except as provided in Subsection (3), from 48 hours before any big game hunt begins through 48 hours after any big game hunting season ends to:
(i) transport a hunter or hunting equipment into a hunting area;
(ii) transport a big game carcass; or
(iii) locate, or attempt to observe or locate any protected wildlife.
(b) Flying slowly at low altitudes, hovering, circling or repeatedly flying over a forest, marsh, field, woodland or rangeland where protected wildlife is likely to be found may be used as evidence of violations of Subsections (1) and (2).
(3) The provisions of this section do not apply to the operation of an aircraft in a usual manner, or landings and departures from improved airstrips, where there is no attempt or intent to locate protected wildlife." Utah 2007 Big Game Proclamation page 14.

Don't people ever read these things?

You can see the plane from the Steer Ridge road, it looks like it crahed just inside the roadless area. Funny.

Dax

I was on archery elk stand on the Utah Boulder Friday evening when not just one but two airplanes were circling low scouting elk. May need air traffic control. Ones engine backfired and cut out but they were able to start it again.

You need to get the numbers from off of the planes, and call their sorry butts in!
It spells it out pretty plainly in the post above. "48 hours beforfe to 48 hours after"..."flying or circling"....
duh....
The law is the law, regardless of whether we like it or not...
It seems the law isn't quite the same for everybody nowdays!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom