Alaska Caribou Hunt 26 days!!!

RHarris

Dad and I will heading out Sept 9th with LCA on a wheel plane drop hunt. I have gone through my pack several times. I have one problem with my waders though. These things are heavy, so I got a pair of Wiggy's packable waders. Now I wonder if they will be good enough. My boots are Danners. My understanding is since we will be getting out in a wheel plane we won't be down in the marsh type bottoms?. Any recomendations?

Don't have any recommendations since I've never been to Alaska except in Feb for a military exercise, but I wish you and your Dad the best of luck. I hope to get up there in the next couple of years (hopefully next year).

Good Luck!!

Took a pair of waders on my moose/caribou combo hunt. The only time I needed them was getting on the float plane. Other than that I never put them on.

I hunted caribou in 2002 from a wheeled plane. Unless you are by a river you will have to cross I wouldn't even take a pair. I am going in two weeks again. This time I will be using a float plane. I agree with you, waders are heavy! Hope you have a great hunt.

I'd take the wiggys in case you need to cross a creek. If things go good, you won't even need them.
I never needed waders last "wheel plane" caribou hunt.

I'm not sure what wiggys are, but I would never hunt anywhere in Alaska without hipboots. I now live in Oregon, but I grew up in Alaska. My family ran a hunting/fishing and airtaxi business for over 20 years and we always hunted in hip boots. The pair I always wore and the brand favored by just about every Alaskan guide I used to know were ankle fit, non insulated LaCrosse. Dark green with the yellow strip at the top. They have many advantages. 1. You can throw the straps away, because they will stay up with out them. 2. They keep you warm on cold windy days. 3. Frequently where you find Moose there is usually water around and the tundra and muskeg is wet. 4. They are great hand warmers when it gets really cold. 5. And of course there are always those pesky streams to cross. The last thing you want to do is get wet up in the north country.

Congratulations on your hunt. I leave on September 10th for a fly in Moose and Caribou hunt out of Kotzebue. I can't wait!!!

Good luck and have a great hunt!

Brett

I would call your outfitter and se what he says as I would bet that a pair of hipboots would be a must as I just got back yesterday from a caribou hunt and I was told not to take a pair and I put them in just in case and shure enuff we needed them if your wiggys are the same as what I am thinking they are they will work great

P.S It has been warm there so be ready to take care of any meat you will have and I hope you a GREAT trip \

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Roy UT

My dad just got back and said he only used his once but he was glad he had them. Im not sure were you are hunting but his hunt was a wash because all of the forest fires. He said you couldnt see 300 yards. they moved to 3 or 4 different places with no luck. He was hunt with my brother who lives up there so he couldnt fire the guide. Good luck on your hunt. Mountaineer

I hunted caribou in Alaska and was flown in via a wheeled plane that landed on a dry lake bed. Nevertheless everything around was wet. I would have been miserable without hipboots, or at least knee high rubber boots. I wouldn't conclude that the terrain will be dry just because your plane has wheels!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom