Alaskan Dall 2014 backpack hunt

jm77

Long Time Member
Back in 2004 I went on a horseback hunt in the Alaska Range for Dall sheep that turned out to be bum deal, with a guide who spent little time looking for rams and no ability to judge the ones I spotted. The outfitter was Tom Kirstein.

Two years later, two friends hunted with Braun Kopsack out of Palmer and had a brutal, but successful, backpack sheep hunt in very extreme weather. After hunting grizzly with Braun, already booking a future sheep hunt, I knew that if I could handle the hunt, Braun would get me on a ram.

After my successful bear hunt, Braun advised me he had a cancelled moose hunt in Sept 2014 that he would turn into a sheep hunt for me. I arrived Sept 9th set to hunt the Talkeetna Range, an OTC unit and Braun told me had had seen "a real sheep" in Aug, but it would take a big hike to get there. This area had no safe landing spots to get us anywhere near these sheep, most likely the only reason this ram was still alive in a general area. We were dropped on a lake by float plane and the hike began.

9498alaska_2014_168.jpg

We didn't make it to where Braun wanted to spike that first day, so we just made camp. I got into my sleeping bag totally wet from sweating and was surprised to find myself dry in the morning. Great clothes and equipment make a difference! The next morning we packed up and found the area we were to set up spike camp. We were much further in than I had ever imagined. Two days later Braun and I found the rams and after dropping off the mountain and spending several hours trying to relocate the sheep again, I had my ram.
2804as_he_lay.jpg

My expectations were to take home a legal ram, but Braun had got me to a true trophy Dall. He has the mass of a Bighorn with 14 5/8 bases and 40"+ length on his unbroomed side!
62002014_dall_sheep.jpg

Braun and I with "Mastadon"(He wouldn't stop calling him that!)Mass of this kind is not common on Dall rams. The shot was taken from the rocks above us. 250yds with my tried and true 270 win.
6826alaska_2014_124.jpg

The trek back up the mountain and to spike camp, loaded down with sheep, took 8 1/2 hrs arriving at 1:30 in the morning. Sleep came very easy that morning!
Braun is a year older than me at 58 and he is an absolute brute when it comes to hiking those mtns with a loaded down pack.

706alaska_2014_147.jpg

We never had a dry day, but it didn't snow on us. It was a mild Sept in Alaska this year. The hike back to the lake was another 8 hr trek and we had to wait till the following day for clear skies to get picked up.

jeez....that is the best dall we've seen in a long long time.

14-5/8 bases is huge....along with that length..you have to be kinda happy...lol

9626emporor_obama.jpg

>Awesome Ram JM. I hunted sheep
>with Braun, so I can
>really appreciate this post.
>
>Congrats on a well earned ram....
>

When I was hunting with Braun in 2008, his wife Valeria was due to have there son in Sept. Braun had come up with some names like Thor and his wife wasn't too happy. I told him " Braun, you're a legend where I come from, why don't you name him 'Legend'?"

Meet 6yr old Legend Kopsack holding my ram.
8668alaska_2014_172.jpg

>What'd he tape out at?

I have to admit this is one animal I could care less about the score on.

It is 167 5/8

Where are all the guys who think "guided" hunts are easy?
Helluva ram Mr jm77.
Well done sheep hunter!
Zeke

+1 Zeke, lol

What a incredible adventure. Really liked your hunt story!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Great ram and story. My most memorable hunt was a 9 day backpack hunt in the wrangles. Hope to do it again. It's alot more expensive when u don't live there any more though:)

Congrats on an awesome adventure.
That is a ram of a lifetime!!

I talked with Braun in 05 about a possible sheep hunt.
I ended up being 1 day late as he was booked out for 2 years.

He is truly is a humble guy who is pretty much a legendary big game guide.

Truly a memory of a lifetime.

>Congrats on an awesome adventure.
>That is a ram of a
>lifetime!!
>
>I talked with Braun in 05
>about a possible sheep hunt.
>
>I ended up being 1 day
>late as he was booked
>out for 2 years.
>
>He is truly is a humble
>guy who is pretty much
>a legendary big game guide.
>
>
>Truly a memory of a lifetime.
>

For sure, Braun is always booked about three years out now, but he will accomdate those that apply and draw the Chugach Range.

He will be out in 2016 to hunt Bighorn Sheep in Wyo with a few of us who have hunted with him. That should be a blast and hope to share that hunt in the future on here.

jm77:

What an incredible ram. That's the stuff dreams are made of. Glad to see you're hunting with the original sheep rifle. Is your .270 a pre-64?

Best,

CBD

Jm

Good luck on the bighorn hunt.
I was able to help out on a hunt in Washington last season.
I am the guy in the middle.

I have max points in Wa and hope to draw someday.
2339image.jpg

>jm77:
>
>What an incredible ram. That's
>the stuff dreams are made
>of. Glad to see
>you're hunting with the original
>sheep rifle. Is your
>.270 a pre-64?
>
>Best,
>
>CBD

CBD

My gun is a Rem 700 ADL purchased at Walmart 15 yrs ago for my daughters to use elk & deer hunting. It was on sale for $250 matte/synthetic stock. I bedded it and had trigger worked on, leupold 3x9 and it shoots less than a MOA all day long. I use 140 Nosler handloaded now, but the girls killed 10 or so elk, at least twice that many deer and antelope with Rem Coreloks. This year besides my ram, my youngest daughter(24) killed a bear and an antelope, and my oldest(30) an antelope and mule deer buck with it. My son-in-law killed a muley buck with it too.

That gun had quite a year! It definitely was the right choice for my sheep hunt; lightweight, capable and full of memories!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom