ALL IN

tailgunner

Last year I got my a$$ kicked in the NM draw , put in for everything and only drew my third choice late archery deer . Didn't even go . Burned some points in Wyoming on an antelope hunt . That was AWESOME you all need to try that if you haven't.Hopin for better luck from the Draw gods this year . Any-buddy know why the game and fish charge 65 bucks for a javelina ? A deer costs 40 , an antelope costs 60 ,why does a javeline cost 65 ? Good Luck to all!!

I think the short answer is because we keep paying the $65. I've never heard an answer to this question that was based on actual rational analysis. But every year I put in for the damn things. It's really just turned into an excuse to go quail hunting down south. I just happen to bring my AR-15 along with me at the same time.

I had the same luck as you 2 yrs ago and then had a great draw last season. Keep your head up and it'll happen eventually.

"an excuse to go quail hunting" is probably the best reason I've ever heard to apply for javs...

No idea if true, but I heard from someone who was around back when the javelina tag price jumped that it was because parvo or some other disease really hurt the population, so back in the day G&F raised the price as a way of reducing hunter numbers and the price just stayed that way.

Always seemed mighty odd pricing structure to me too.

Carl

I've heard the "parvo wiped them out" argument, and it may have been part of the rational. But it doesn't make sense. Raising the price of tags, but not reducing the number of tags, does nothing to reduce the number of hunters if they are still selling every tag available. I remember not drawing a tag back in the day. Now they have left over tags every year. They still sell them all, but not all go through the draw.

Trying to figure the reasons and pricing structure in NM is a futile attempt at logic at best...............
from NR tag % & pricing to the outfitter pool to why our elk tags are so damn cheap and why do they over allot deer tags in most NM units as numbers continue to fall to nothing......
We're seeing Javalina all the way past Reserve the last few years.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom