all you pro bear baiters

kicker

How the heck do you keep bears from going nocturnal on your bait? I can get all kinds of bears to hit my bait but 99% are hitting it at night and for sure the big ones are.

Any good tricks??

Kicker

LAST EDITED ON Mar-22-12 AT 12:53PM (MST)[p]Wow Dead that WAS awesome. Somehow I must have posted on a junior high site. I was looking for monster muleys. Can't say I didn't see that one coming. Yawn........

My problem is that my site is a 2hr drive from my house. Not feasible for me to run up at dusk and dawn but I do like the idea.

If I have a bear coming in at dark I will go buy him a BIG chocolat cake! Put it in your bait during the day and make a lot of noise doing it. The next day he will be there early looking for another. It has worked for me more times than it hasn't. good luck.

I've got a few suggestions. I worked for an outfitter in Canada for four years and these are some things I learned while being involved in the harvest of about 140 bears up there as well as running hounds on bear here in Utah since I was old enough to follow my dad around the woods. First off you're just getting to where it gets fun. Win those big ol boars play games and you can outsmart them is when baiting is at its best. What are you using for bait? I would highly recommend sweets, and stay away from meat. Think of it like this: when you sit down and eat a big ol T- bone you usually end up feeling like you ate too much and just wanna go take a nap, but if you'r hungry and eat a cookie you constantly find yourself going back to the kitchen for just one more. Just like humans a bear will get that short sugar high and keep going back more often to get more. One of the best things you can have is multiple bears competing for the food. If you've got that, great. If not, make it seem that way. If the opportunity presents itself and you can find bear ##### from another bear. Pack it into the bait site. Its gonna make it seem like theirs more competition for the food as well as make the bears curious to find out who else is in the neighborhood.

Don't be afraid to make noise when you bait the site. The bears already know you're there, so go in bang around, stumble out and slam the truck door. It's just like a dinner bell. This also helps if you can get a buddy to help out come kill time. Both go in and while you get set up to stay let him do the baiting and leave making the same normal noise. The bears will think you're gone and come in. What we found was most the bears would come in within about 20 minutes of the person leaving. I think they often watch you dump the bait and leave.

As far as little gadgets from dusk to dawn. Try some solar yards light. Where you're two hours away they can do the work for you. They'll come on at dark making an unnatural light and they're pretty unnoticeable during the day. They're pretty cheap but remember that just like trail cams bear get curious and break things. So don't spend money on fancy ones and try to place them somewhere that wont be as prone to get chewed up.

Now once you get to hunting if you think the bear has pinned you while sitting the location and that's why it wont come in while you're there... try leaving an old t-shirt there when you're gone. Then when you go to sit remove the t-shirt and set up in a different spot.

>How the heck do you keep
>bears from going nocturnal on
>your bait? I can
>get all kinds of bears
>to hit my bait but
>99% are hitting it at
>night and for sure the
>big ones are.
>
>Any good tricks??
>
>Kicker

Pick a more secluded site and they'll feel more at ease in the daylight.

Feed more times with less bait. They know when you and other bears come and go. They have to know there's competition. It requires a ton more gas and time, but pays off big time. After we have multiple bears hitting we try for every other day, absolutely no less than two days split up during a week otherwise they'll loose interest and move on. If you don't have the schedule, time, or money, start looking for a friend with an opposite schedule and a strong back so that you can help each other. Otherwise your fighting a loosing battle.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom