Another ATV question.....

buglinst

I think I heard a gun on a quad must be "encased". Is this true? No gun holders on the front rack?

thanks

That is correct, guns on an ATV must be unloaded (in the chamber for rifles and not have a primer for muzzleloaders) and they must be in a case. Same for a bow.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Racks on the front handlebars are OK, and if your soft case will fit in the rack, then you can legally do that. It doesn't specify hard or soft case.

John 14:6

>Guns must be completely unloaded...No shells
>in yhe mag. either.

I don't think you are right on that point. Here is what the Big Game hunting brochure says:

It is not legal to:

"Have a loaded (in the chamber) rifle or shotgun in or on any motor
vehicle. Muzzleloading rifles are considered unloaded if percussion cap or
shotshell primer is removed, or if powder is removed from flashpan."

I have asked this question to the DOW in the past, and they indicated that a rifle is legal as long as it has no shell in the chamber and a muzzleloader may be loaded, but has to have the primer removed.

txhunter58

txhunter58, read the next line below that one in the regs.
Its against the law to:
2. Carry firearms(except handguns) on an off highway vehicle during deer ,elk, antelope and bear seasons unless they are unloaded in the chamber and magazine.Etc.
Elkhuntr

You will get a ticket for having shells in the magazine on a ATV.

Duh! Guess I should have read #2! Thanks for straightening me out. Not sure why you can carry a rifle loaded in the magazine in a truck or car, but not on an ATV. Of course the "cased" requirement only relates to carrying them on an ATV as well.

I make the assumption that it is still ok to have a muzzleloader loaded as long as it doesn't have a primer, but it doesn't address that.

txhunter58

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom