Another BAD Bill-Hunters Please Help

JFWRC

Very Active Member
This bill will impact our Hunting sooner or later!

Comments below made by Tom McDow-

HB 579 is very far reaching. It will end fur trapping on all lands in NM. It outlaws the sale of wild fur pelts. It restricts the operation of Wildlife services in NM. Taken together, these proposed restrictions will effectively eliminate the ability to manage our herds, both wild and domestic. Without a market, all value in our wild fur will be lost and thereby shift 100% of the depredation management costs to our ranchers and farmers. For example, many doing private coyote control in surrounding states charge $50 per coyote taken and $50 per day running expenses. Our ranching operations will not be able to absorb this kind of expense.

In order to relax the pressures of predation on our wild herds and populations, the state will have to pay for management; considering the budgetary limitations we face, we all know that this would be a non-starter. UT for example is now paying a $50 bounty on coyotes in an effort to get them under control. 579 would make even this type of program unfeasible.

This bill as written could make those who sell fur at international auctions guilty of Lacey Act violations. Also, the bill maybe violating some Commerce Clause conditions.

The NMTA in conjunction with our national, international and department friends are currently analyzing the bill for all arguments. We welcome any input you have. We (the coalition members) have been asked to be prepared to line up to testify before Energy and Natural Resources when they hear this bill. Word on the street is the bill may be heard Wed. Feb. 20.

As soon as I get a draft of our arguments, that we believe need to be made, I will be in touch with the groups. It has been suggested that an effective approach will be to distribute the talking points among the groups to speak. These are preliminary ideas and subject to change with input from all concerned.

Please contact me and / or all with your thoughts.

Thanks in advance for your attention to this matter.

Tom McDowell

President NMTA

I received an email from NMWF earlier and sent this email:

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen:

I am contacting you today as a sportsman that believes in sound, science based, wildlife management and not that based on emotions. This bill does not fall within the category of science based wildlife management as I was taught as a Wildlife Science graduate of New Mexico State University. Hunters, anglers, and trappers will be the first to ask for seasons to be shortened, bag limits reduced, or even canceled should the population of a given species be too low to support harvest by sportsmen and women. It is through our purchase of licenses, tags, stamps, and other fees in addition to self imposed taxes such as Pittman-Robertson and Dingell-Johnson that we bear the burden of wildlife management in this country. Very little funds are made available from the general fund. We also provide many hours of volunteer work to help wildlife management agencies complete projects because they lack the funds and manpower to complete themselves. Also, when agencies such as game and fish need additional funds for pay increases we do not think twice about paying increased fees for licenses and tags. In short without the money and time contributed by the hunting, angling, and trapping community there would be no wildlife management. With that said, I thank you for your time reading this email and I ask that you not succumb to the cries of a vociferous few that base their "science" on emotion and a lack of knowledge on the subject.

Have a great day.

I spent some time talking to Legislatures yesterday and it looks like we have support to kill this.. The vote comes up next week.. We need to keep hammering everyone on this.. SO please stop stop call...

This is a battle we are going to need to fight every year. It is a drag that we have to spend so many resources on this... We should be fighting for other things..

GREAT NEWS...

HENRC tabled the trapping ban, killing it for the year. Rep. Madalena came through, supplying the one D vote need to tie the committee, thus preventing it from advancing. Great work everyone

Man we worked hard on this..

Jason-Heard there was good collaboration by all sportsmans groups on this one. Glad to see we (sportsman) were all on the same page. Congrats to NMTA and all that fought this one......it was a really really big deal for all of NM Sportsman.

Great Win for all of us !
Thanks to all that contacted their legislators.
But the bunny huggers will be back next year.
Only way to win is to stay together on this throughout the year
and pressure our Representatives to use science not emotion when
making far reaching decisions like this.

CC

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom