Another big Auction Sheep tag

blacktailer

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Sp...overnment+generates+record/7949471/story.html

My question is this. Why would a BC tag fetch $125,000 more than the Alberta tags where a guy has a good chance at a 200+ Bighorn. Would this guy use it on a Dall Stone or perhaps California Bighorn. After looking at BCBOY'S pics, BC definately has some very nice Cali's. Are there regions of BC that a guy can use this tag to hunt otherwise unhuntable rams? I certainly don't have a problem with the tag when the money goes to a good cause but never realized BC tage f3tched this kind of dough.
I heard that a local Cranbrook guide is getting the nod so I thought perhaps he may go after a California Bighorn.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-13 AT 12:28PM (MST)[p]It was for either a Dall,Stone, Cali or Bighorn. There's a limited supply of Stone tags auctioned.

BC also has some cranker Rocky rams (190+) if you can hunt them late, but the flexibility of hunting 4 different types of sheep has to be inviting.

I believe it was purchased with the knowledge of a very large STONE ram. There was an absolute cranker killed a year or so ago by that year's auction holder. IIRC it was the new P&Y World Record. I guess they saw some bigger rams during that hunt and that is why this tag sold for so much.

>http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Sp...overnment+generates+record/7949471/story.html
>
>My question is this. Why
>would a BC tag fetch
>$125,000 more than the Alberta
>tags where a guy has
>a good chance at a
>200+ Bighorn. Would this
>guy use it on a
>Dall Stone or perhaps California
>Bighorn. After looking at
>BCBOY'S pics, BC definately has
>some very nice Cali's.
>Are there regions of BC
>that a guy can use
>this tag to hunt otherwise
>unhuntable rams? I certainly
>don't have a problem with
>the tag when the money
>goes to a good cause
>but never realized BC tage
>f3tched this kind of dough.
>
> I heard that
>a local Cranbrook guide is
>getting the nod so I
>thought perhaps he may go
>after a California Bighorn.

They can only hunt areas that already have hunting seasons. They can hunt a lot longer though. Pre and post all GOS and Limited Entry seasons.

Traditionally the Alberta tag holder waits for a monster Rockie to step off of the Cadomin mine. The BC tag holders were in the same boat waiting for huge Rockies to get pushed onto public property by deep snow. The tag is good until December 31st, I believe. Last years tag holder opened a few peoples eyes. Rather than chase Bighorns he took advantage of weather and the rut and went after stone sheep that historically nobody has hunted later than October 15. He took the new pope & young WR. My guess is two or more sheep fanatics got in a bidding war because they wanted a "bigger stone" to match the rest of their huge specimens of North American sheep. But that's just a guess.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom