Another Idaho bear bites the dust.

IdahoBugler

Well to say this bear baiting is fun would be an under statement. Moosie kept talking to me about getting up to hunt with him and I kept kind off low key about the whole deal. But after gunner and I went up a month after the season. I thought it was time to give it a try. A little late but better late then never.

Gunner and I started another bait because we thought 4 guys on one bait might be a little much. A week after we started it we were getting hits. I couldn't keep enough food on that bait. I was having to re-load it every two or three days. We have some pretty sweet trail cam pics that I will post later.

Here is my 3 year old helping me bait. Notice the strap on the tree that used to have a trail camera attached. The bear ripped it off and then shat on it.
P1000885.jpg

The trail cam pics showed bears hitting the bait through out the day, so I thought I would sit in the stand by 3:00 on Sunday. Let me tell you what, 7 hours on stand is not fun. During that time I rigged up my tripod to my treestand so I could try and tape the shot. So of course I sit all day and the first bear to come in was at 9:00. He was a young almost blond bear. I watched him for 20 minutes when he finally took off like a rocket. 15 minutes later here came a bear I passed up on Thursday. With only a few days left in the season I figured she was good enough. I positioned the camera in a spot I thought I might get the shot and started recording. The bear came out and walked to the upper edge of my camera view. I rushed the shot a little in hopes of getting it caught on tape and I hit about 3 inches to far back and 3 inches high. It was almost dark so I thought I had better look for her the next day.

Here is a still from my video camera just after the arrow hit here. If you look at the light spot on her back you can see where the arrow entered.
61205bearaftershotvideo.jpg

I gave Moosie a call and he pulled some strings to come up and help me with the monsterous pack out I was going to have. (Thanks dude, I don't know what I would of done without you there. Actually I know I would of been packing it out in my flip-flops. But that's another story and we don't need to tell anybody about that.) Anyway, we made it back up and tracked her for 70 yards before she rolled the next 70 yards to the bottom. Which was right next to my truck a grand total of about 70 yards away from it. It was a dry sow that had some pretty wore down teeth. She was 62 inches long from nose to tail.

Notice my nice white shoes that are 2 sizes to big.
P1020008.jpg

P1020017.jpg

P1020021.jpg

P1020029.jpg

u all so lucky!

we don't have spring bear here anymore! in NM..only in the fall!

congrats on bear! :)

vinihunt

Thanks for all the comments. It was a lot of fun and I already can't wait for next year.

bowhuntgirl - You can clean it if you want. :) What's your secret on how to keep there teeth from cracking after you boil them out?

Thanks,
IB

good job, IdB....thanks for the story and the good pics...congratulations...(looks like your 'hooked').

Nice looking bear. So let me guess, Moosie wears about 2 sizes bigger shoes than you.

Nice story and pics Idy! Whats the plans for the bear?

AntlerQuest Hunt Consulting

LF - Thanks for the comments and yes I'm hooked.

Azbowhntr - Ya, from what I hear he just has big feet.:)

Lucky13 - It's hard to know whats legal and what's not on the internet lingo.

DK - I'm getting the skull cleaned, degreased, and whitened. Then I'm going to get the hide tanned. I already have a small bear rugged so I'm waiting for the special one to get a bigger rug made.

I cant give away all my secrets. OK! Silicone! Its best to take the teeth out if they come out and silicone the whole thing. If they dont want to come out dont force them, because you will have to force them back in and possiblly brake the bone , Just foce some silicone in the wholes......Sharlin

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom