Antelope Mount

Omegasniper23

Hello Fellow Hunters,
I got this Goat back in 2009 using Archery. I am interested in hearing what you all think of the mount, from Cape, to neck size? Also black nosed antelopes are of a mature buck or what is the deal on those? I remember mine having a full black nose as well, not a touch of brown. I want honest opinions on him and the work. He measured 16" and 1/8th and 16" even. Do you think an Antelope of that size should have a better looking coat of fur in August? I think I might have been taken by my taxidermist. Thanks

4546100_0742.jpg

6133100_0743.jpg

5879100_0746.jpg

5493100_0748.jpg

629100_0747.jpg

Did you take pictures after the hunt and different angle's for comparing the work?

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Some good field photos are the only way to judge wether or not he "took" you on the skin. As far as it being normal, I've seen skins far "worse" than that at all times of the year.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have
some good ideas!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-11 AT 07:30PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-11 AT 07:28?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-11 AT 07:26?PM (MST)

Comparing it to my wifes antelope on my wall, yours looks anorexic? and looks more like a younger one. It could be, if it was early in the season, but she got hers early Sept, that he just hasnt swelled up yet, but the neck just looks small and thin.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/9480mounts_006_(2).jpg

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

To be honest I think the buck itself is awesome that looks like a stud for sure with good horn mass and length as for the mount/cape/neck ummmmm Something doesn't look quite right either way to long of a neck of way to skinny of a neck or both. The cape though I would compare to field photos if you can sometimes thats just how they are and there is very little to control about that. Sweet goat on a poor mount. sorry thats what I see you asked for my opinion so there ya got it.

field photos are to best way to tell. Most taxidermists punch a number in the hide before they send it to the tannery. That way they don't mix up capes. and Honestly you might want to look in to a different taxidermist, doesn't look like quality york to me. It is a good buck nice horns. I don't have a full turn but the ears look out of place, and doesnt look like there is a septum in the nose. small patch and the long main looks like a young buck cape and I have seen worse capes, and mounts.

9830sheds_005.jpg

4694sheds_006.jpg

8664sheds_007.jpg

This buck has some great features. There are two things that I look at first when at a new shop. I look in the nose and at the eyes. If it has a septum and detailed paint (looks real) and look at the pupal if it is straight with the horizon the taxidermist must like his job. There are a lot out there that don't put the time in to a piece, just because it not going to a show and to turn a quick buck. Hope this helps in the future you do have a great trophy and hope you had a great hunt.

Very nice buck...congrads. Hopefully you have field photos of your buck after you shot him? If the colors and markings don't match up with your mount your taxidermist may have swapped out capes?

It almost looks like there is hair missing in places? Possibly some of the hair slipped or got pulled off the hide while dragging the antelope to the truck? There certainly is a lot of white on the side of your mounts face; however, just about every buck has different colors. Usually bucks have a triangular black cheek patch similar to the mounted buck in the photos above. Some have more black than others on the nose.

You usually get what you pay for with taxidermy work. Obviously if you don't take care of the cape or the tannery screws things up the mount won't turn out. Antelope have hollow hair and are super easy to screw up. I make a point of NEVER picking up my antelope mounts by digging my fingers into the neck hair. I ALWAYS pick them up and move them around by carrying them by their horns! I hope this helps!

I agree with the previous posts... that's looks like a well scoring buck. The neck does look skinny and I'm not sure if it's the hair or the way it's mounted but the side of the neck looks lumpy/uneven. Was the cape that blonde when you shot him? I haven't seen a lot of these in person, but all I have seen have very distinguished colors between the white and brown on the hide. But like I said I'm not an expert. But very impressive on how tall and the mass on that guy. The first thing I notice when I look at it is the horns.

The cape looks like a young antelope not fully mature because of the coloring. The nose an forehead on all my mature antelope was black as coal. With the size of the horns I would assume that he was an older antelope and thus should be darker in the face area. I personally don't see that cape going with the horns. I'm certainly not an expert but the ear and horn placement doesn't look good either. I've had capes switched on me before and when I shown this to the taxidermist through field photos and they know they're busted they usually say find a new taxi. I think it happens more than you think.

The black should go all the way up to the base of the horns,especially on a mature buck.The cheek patch could be covered,depending on how the taxidermist folded the hide there.I have three goat mounts(none as big as yours);done by 2 different taxis,and they all have much more black(killed in Sept).The contrast from brown to white on the neck should be much more noticeable!Also,I really don't think there is much difference from Aug to Sept in coloration.I've never noticed that in Wyoming while hunting and scouting for them almost every year for well over 35 years!My guess is he switched capes on you,doesn't do many goats,and is not a very good taxidermist.

Without pics your just guessing on what happened. Antelope have lots of problems when it comes to their hair. The hair breaks off when they go under fences. The hair can break off while grooming the mount. As far as the color goes around the head, just like people they're different. Even with a poor cape a very good Taxidermist can make it look good. Most of what your looking at is a poor cape and the skills of the taxidermist. Just my two cents.

Not trying to stir crap here, but here is my take. I do about 20 ants a year. Care of the animal prior to my shop is key in a great mount. Antelope hair slips fast and hold blood easy. You cannot remove the stains once embedded in the hair. I would say for the maturity of your goat, the neck is the first thing I notice. Just does not fit your size of goat. Looks like some slip has happened on your mount. Also face is not vibrant with color, looks dull in color. I am not claiming to be the worlds best taxi, those are just the aspects that jumped at me first when looking at your mount.
curtis wilson

Yup, definitely need to see some field photos to know for sure what happened. Since it was an August antelope, that could account for the "skinny look" look. Antelopes usually have quite small necks, and its the hair that makes them look thicker. I think the face looks great on this mount! You also have to consider that those are very long horns, and no matter what, antelopes always look a little goofy with horns that big!

You cannot tell a mature lope, by looking at his markings, or color. Every antelope is different.

I agree with monarch. The first thing I noticed was the neck. Looks too skinny to me. I have one on my wall, although not an expert. Just the first thing that caught my eye. Also agree with the rest on the cape and colors. Would have to compare to field photos. Nice buck and probably could have a worse mount.

It looks like they put someone else's sheaths on your yearling. I wouldn't complain.

Sorry to be honest, but that is a crap mount, my suggestion would b e find a taxidermist whose work you like and have him buy a cape and have your horns remounted.

I personally don't care for the form but that is just me.

I will make one comment. I have over a half dozen antelope shoulder mounts in my house and it is amazing how much smaller body size wise all of the New Mexico bucks are. I have goats from UT, WY and NM in the house and all of the NM goats are significantly smaller in especially the neck area. Just something I might mention.

Nice trophy, crap mount. You have years to look at it and are already having doubts and questions. I learned long ago if I doubt or have question about a mount then there is no question.

If it was me I would buy a new cape and remount with a semi sneak left. You will be happier.

Congrats on a great buck antelope, he is a stud. As for the taxidermy work, I would not take anything back to him/her. Not a very real/good looking mount. Sorry!!!

Congrats! Awesome speed goat for sure.

As already mentioned...Field care is critical to get a good antelope mount

I disagree with the size of horns/color of cape means he is an old/mature buck...there is a study in NM where they found that the biggest horned bucks were fairly young 3-4 years old.

The detail on the face seems fairly reasonable...Think the form they use on your buck could be better...neck to skinny and shoulders to narrow...Check out the picture below...Compared to Does Bucks have pretty beefy shoulders and necks. Antelope are kinda goofy looking in general many mounts make them look even goofier

424.jpg

And here is how he looks today...

DSC00682.jpg

DSC00685-2.jpg

4BB...congrats on a very nice Buck Lope and great mount too. What did it score if you had it scored?

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

There are some interesting comments on here about this mount.

No doubt the cape is not the best looking. So, either the cape was in poor shape when the antelope was killed, it sat in the hunters truck in the sun for a while, or the taxi didn't prep it correctly, or the tannery screwed up. No way to know without field pictures and history of the cape.

A friend of mine killed a book antelope in Utah a few years ago and took it to a reputable taxidermist. She would not mount it because the neck had a couple of quarter sized battle scars. She made him buy a different cape! I would have used the original cape, as that is what the trophy was, looked like, the scars were natural! However, after seeing this post, it is now clear why she would not use a non-perfect cape...most of you instantly blame the taxidermist for what might NOT not have been his/her fault. However, in this case the taxi should have never let that thing out of his shop! At least not without a signed release from the hunter that he would not post pictures on MM! :D

I am a taxi my self and compete in three states a year just for some background. For your mount the taxi did an ok job, especially with that crap cape! I dont know the history on the cape so I dont know who if it is anyone's fault. Now on the septum comment sorry but pronghorn usually have a black one, so if you have pink in your nose they painted it like a deer.Just my opinion as a taxi that has hundreds of live reference pic's. p.s. I have a rally really old goat I mounted yesterday that is almost all white.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom