antelope ranch assignment

S

stinkystomper

talk about a lucky year. i actually drew one of the ranches i was hoping for. a ranch right on the vla in amu 12. does anyone know how far out in the flats of the vla the montosa goes if any at all?

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

I emailed Ms. cummings

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-11-10 AT 11:43AM (MST)[p]Congrats Stinky, awesome ranch to get assigned too. My father and I used to work on the montosa ranch cutting firewood to sell to the woodyards in Alb. when i lived in socorro. Spent 14 yrs on the montosa, my father left the ranch bak in 07. The montosa butts up against the double HH ranch to the west(more less to the county line) and cibola forest land to the north. I'll send you a pm soon with more info.

pinemesa

How far out in the flats of the vla does the montosa run? I have no idea where the edge of the Double h is. Where is the border between the Double H and the montosa in relation to the railroad tracks the vla uses to transport the array that runs north and south across the highway? I saw my largest goat ever right where the blacktop turns off highway 60 to head to the vla. That goat was laid out wide and had 20 inch horns. He may have only scored in the mid 80's at best but was the most impressive looking goat i have seen in a long time. I've also seen tons of 80 inch goats on the socorro side of the RR tracks and hope this is on the montosa. I'm just so excite about drawing a tag of that quality and not having to pay for it. How in the heck did I get so lucky to draw this hunt after 23 years of applying and then to go into the ranch draw and get lucky enough to draw one of the best ranches. I've talked to a few freinds over there and it appears that carlton armstrongs son bought that ranch a few years back? They say he's a pretty good guy.

Anyways, thanks for the info.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-11-10 AT 01:35PM (MST)[p]Any chance you could PM me Ms. Cummings email so I could try to find out what ranch I got assigned to with my 1-114 tag?

Thanks, Nathan

{EDIT} = I just double checked and I have the 1-106 tag. I applied for the 1-114 tag as my first choice but got the 1-106 with my second.

[email protected]

would u mind posting what ranch u got? just curious cuz i get a little too involved in all this hunting crap

Part of my hunting party was assigned to the Mexican border and I am in Unit 20. We are in one vehcile so this should be interesting. I should point out I made the mistake and I am at fault for the assigment to two ranches not the Game and Fish folks. If any of you see a guy along the highway with an antelope over his shoulders walking south please pick me up and give me a ride south to unit 16. This is going to be fun though.

Somehow I missed your reply with the email address until just now. I sent an email but I doubt I hear anything until Monday.

I hope I'm not stuck on a ranch with 1 antelope and 3 other hunters!

if you are stuck on a ranch like that just make sure you have the local warden's number on hand. After the first day is over call him and request a ranch re assignment. They will send you to a good ranch and you should have a great hunt. Just tell em you got a buddy on the montosa and come hunt with me.

Congrates on the draw stinky...I've seen dozens of BC bucks in the plains,near VLA,Montessa and HH.Get a updated BLM map from Soccoro office,has all boundaries. You shouldn't have trouble filling that tag...Good luck and good hunting!!

Here you go stinky. This one was on your assigned ranch last August while I was archery hunting across the road. Sorry it is from over 100 yards away, so not the best pic, but you should get an idea. If he made it through the rifle season, he should be even bigger this year.

Great mass and great prongs. Length is good also. Watched a guided hunter launch an arrow at the bigger buddy of this buck, and miss. If that bigger one survived archery and rifle season, you will want to find him and shoot on sight- and ask questions later.

4857img_4038.jpg

8788img_4040.jpg

Have pics of some other ones on nearby properties that are bigger than this guy.

Good luck.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

Stinky,
The montosa ends right before the rr tracks of the vla that run north and south of hwy 60.
Armstrong, as a pretty good guy-I guess dont know him personally,-he asked my pops to leave the ranch, did not want him cutting firewood on the ranch anymore, gave him time to pick up all his wood he had knock down then we left, this was back in spring of 07. Each to his own, pops and I knew that ranch terrain pretty good. anyways good luck, i'll pm you more info

Try this link for blm maps.

http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/more/geographic_sciences/statewide_map_files.html

pinemesa

Sorry to hear about the loss pine. I hate to hear stories like that. I appreciate the info and wish you and your pops the best.

Fin, those are some sweet pics. Post all you got up. For some reason I'm totally stoked about this dumb ol goat hunt. Spent so long haten em cuz I couldn't draw a tag that I thought I'd never be able to enjoy a goat hunt. Now I'm as happy as a kid on christmas day. Post up all your pics buddy!

>Sorry to hear about the loss
>pine. I hate to hear
>stories like that. I appreciate
>the info and wish you
>and your pops the best.
>
>
>
>Fin, those are some sweet pics.
>Post all you got up.
>For some reason I'm totally
>stoked about this dumb ol
>goat hunt. Spent so long
>haten em cuz I couldn't
>draw a tag that I
>thought I'd never be able
>to enjoy a goat hunt.
>Now I'm as happy as
>a kid on christmas day.
>Post up all your pics
>buddy!
>
>
>ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde
>ego sum bardus (I participate
>on monstermuleys therefore I am
>stupid)

Who kidnapped Stinky, and who is this impostor that is nice to people??

NICE! those are some heavy goats. Check out this goat I took a picture of right by the turn off for the montosa rv park

1060img_2712.jpg

Here's another goat I saw in the general area that same day

8430img_2663.jpg

Got any other pics of that buck in the top photo? If he is the one the guided archer missed, you will want to shoot him on sight.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

I do have a few more pictures but they were all taken at dusk at about 300 yards and that one is the clearest picture I have. Me and my cousin were guessing that goat to have horns pushing 20" in length. Didn't have a huge curl at the top but he had tons of length and awesome cutters.

Thanks for Julies email. Just found out I have Unit 18, Prairie Springs Ranch. Does anyone have any information on this ranch and what I am in for. After 10 years of applying in New Mexico for deer, elk and antelope and never drawing I will finally be able to hunt New Mexico.
Reeb

congratulations on drawing a once in a lifetime goat tag. Sad we have to wait a lifetime to put 20lbs of meat in our freezer huh. I haven't heard of that ranch but I will do some pokin around.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-14-10 AT 04:45PM (MST)[p]I have hunted unit 12 several times during the archery season and have always seen a number of good goats, 75" or better, and the Montosa is no exception. As you know, get there a couple of days early and find the one you want to kill and be there 1st thing in the am on opening day.

I have read a few interesting things about antelope horn growth, and many reports suggest that unlike most of the antlered game we chase, pronghorn horn size is maximized at ages 2-4, and deteriorates after that.... Seems odd, but thats what several studies have shown. So wishing that those 70" bucks last year will blow up into 80" bucks might be a stretch, but maybe with the great rain we have had this year maybe that will give them some extra inches.

Im going to be hunting during the archery season in 13, if I hear of or see anything in the area of the Montosa I will let you know. Glad you broke yuor tag drought.

Don

Got my email this morning from Julie. Thanks for the email address.

You have been assigned to hunt on the McDowell ranch in AMU 33.

Pulled up the map for AMU 33 and looks like I drove through there this morning on my way to Ruidoso. I saw 2 stud antelope bucks but they were both on the west side of Roswell, not to the east of Roswell where my unit is. I did some google work but couldn't find anything on the McDowell ranch.

I drove through roswell last week and on the east side saw over 100 head of goats. This one was the closest to the road (200yrds). I glassed up some nice ones, just not close enough for a picture.
This one is no monster but pretty neat how he lays out so wide.

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg

Congrats on the great tags! Glad you finally drew a tag stinky. I'm pretty sure i drew your ibex tag this year!

I will look at ur goat pics there chase but i refuse to read anymore of your obscene, rude, and vulgar ibex comments. hey nmpaul how bout nukin his braggin arse?

Well you can just keep your stupid tag. I have no interest in goats that have horns as big and ugly as those things are.

Doesn't look like I'm going to have much opportunity to pick and choose on an antelope on my ranch assignment.

It is showing 4,640 acres total and only 1 Mature Buck tag for the entire place. Their landowner tag was issued as a Unit Wide tag, so I guess I do have the option of being reassigned after the first day if there aren't any antelope there.

u got no worries as long as u hae the wardens number. by the end of the first day start getting in contact with him n u can get a transfer to a good ranch i bet.

anybody hunted unit 56 in the last couple of years? I will be in the Click ranch 5200 acres.
Thanks

Anyone know anything about Church chicosa/ebell ranch in amu 45.
My seventeen year old son as this tag.
Web site says it's just under 6000 acres out side of Roy.
Thanks.

Not looking very promising for me.

First, the landowner didn't know the rules and told me that I could not hunt on their private land, that I had to stay on the public land. I told them that wasn't correct and they needed to contact someone with the NMGF to verify. Not a great way to start the conversation.

Then, they said that they have only seen antelope on their place once all summer so that wasn't very promising either.

Lastly I drove by the property and sure enough, I didn't see a single antelope anywhere on the property or even in the vicinity.

I just called NMGF to verify my options and if I could switch ranches and they said I still needed to hunt my assigned ranch that first day and that I could call around 4 or 5 that afternoon if I hadn't seen anything and they would reassign me to a ranch that should have some antelope.

My guess is that the best bucks will have already been shot off whatever ranch I get reassigned to that first morning so it is not looking very good for me on shooting a nice buck.

Seems that my luck ended when I drew the tag, I didn't realize that the ranch assignment was more important than drawing the tag.

Any thoughts? Maybe someone can cheer me up by saying that they shot an 80"er on the second day after being reassigned to a different ranch or something like that?

Thanks, Nathan

Nathan
I wouldn't be worried about all the good ones being taken on the first day, after the first few shots they start moving around alot and the hunters just have a tough time catching up to them. Good Luck I hope a Monster is found on that ranch.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-10 AT 09:25PM (MST)[p]I agree with gator.

2years ago my uncle was given a landowner tag by his boss. First morning we were on the largest goat on the property. He was 90 inches if he was an inch. We got into position to shoot the goat when the game warden stopped us and asked to see his tag. He left it at home and the warden told us if he shot the goat it was poaching.

Well we made the 3 hr one way trip back to his house to get the tag then 3 hrs back to the ranch to find the goat.

We called his boss in the process and told him our intentions. He said don't even bother looking for that goat. Said he'd already shot him. We went to another area and found an 82"(dry score) antelope and shot him.

We then swung by his boss' house to see the monster only to see a 71" goat in the back of his truck.

There were 6 public hunters on that place and 6 private hunters in there. Everyone was tagged out on the first day. My point is that even with all that shooting going on we still managed to shoot the last goat of the hunt and still got an 82 incher. And to top it all off with the 90 incher was still roaming around out there some where.

Besides, I have an elk hunt going on the same time my analope hunt is and I really don't expect to shoot one till the 2nd or last day of the hunt.

It's not the size of the animal but the quality of the hunt and you will definitely have a quality hunt.

Thanks for the reassurance guys.

I've shot plenty of antelope, I'm hoping for something at least 75" and would LOVE to see something in the 80" range. I have a 72" euromount on my fireplace mantle and was hoping to shoot something worth doing a shoulder mount on. We'll know for sure in 2 weeks!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-10 AT 11:40PM (MST)[p]Well, I'm home empty handed after 2 hard days hunting and pretty much not seeing anything.

I called the game warden up on Thursday to give him a heads up that my ranch that I'd been assigned to wasn't looking very promising and then after a bust of a morning called him at 2:00 Saturday afternoon asking to be reassigned to a ranch with antelope. After 2 hours I called him back and he offered to switch me to another ranch that was even smaller than the one I was on. I asked if it had antelope and he didn't know. I drove over to that ranch and talked to the land owner and he said they didn't have any antelope on their ranch this year and I was able to look over the entire ranch (1,800 acres) and sure enough, there weren't any antelope.

I called the warden back and asked to be reassigned to a ranch that actually had antelope and he pretty much said tough luck.

Saturday we actually saw a shooter buck as it zipped across the tiny ranch we were hunting after getting shot at by some folks on the neighboring ranch but it was across the ranch I was assigned to onto the next neighbors ranch about as fast as you could bat an eye. Sunday all we saw were 2 does and they were actually on the neighbors ranch, not the ranch we were assigned to.

Pretty miserable experience to bust the bushes on a tiny ranch for 2 days looking for antelope that weren't there.

Hope everyone else had a LOT better luck than I did!

sorry to hear about your piss poor experience. that really does suck and i would be a little more than hot if i were u. thats just plain wrong!

Same kind of luck, my son drew a youth doe tag near Roswell and after 2 days of looking, not a single antelope was seen on or near the ranch he was assigned. The weekend before his hunt the ranch had 23 hunters (18 LO.- 5 State) and only 2 bucks were seen and shot.

thanks. i may just say screw the elk opener and go hammer a big goat instead

ego participate in Monasteriense
muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom