Anterless Recommendations

eyeguard

LAST EDITED ON Apr-17-09 AT 09:43AM (MST)[p]Hey All,

If this has already been discussed... I apologize for missing it. I just happened to look at the anterless recommendations on the DWR's site today. Can someone please enlighten me as to why they are recommending 400 doe tags on Box Elder when the #s are still way below objective (14,300 actual vs 20,000 objective)? We all know the great minds of the DWR are filled with brilliance, but WTF? I also noticed they're planning another Fish Lake slaughter for elk (1,600 tags) when those #s are only 300 head above objective (5,100 actual vs 4,800 objective). Am I missing something? This isn't really rocket science like the DWR would have you believe is it?

EG

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

I don't know alot about the numbers, but last years general hunt I took in Box Elder county, I saw well over 300 does and 2 little bucks in the area I was hunting in.

It seems odd!

Does produce bucks, so the more the better....not sure I understand the 400 tags!

It is simple really
You have a buck to doe ratio all out of wack! 2 bucks/200 does
So the genius on the wildlife board and the division are going to fix it with the doe tags.
Duh!!!

The fish lake unit has 300 over objective so they are going to take the cow tags away from the archers and give 600 tags to rifle hunters in January so they can decimate the herd in some farmers field. This is how it was done a few years ago and it worked just fine. If they did it every year they wouldn't have the problem keep coming up.

Duh!

Keep it simple stupid is the wildlife board and the divisions theory.
Screw the public!!

swbuckmaster,

I was always wondering how those boys at the Utah DWR
figured out how to do away with all those pesky does and
cows you have in Utah.What a shame it is to decimate
the herds that way.

EG,

I had a similar experience in Box Elder to fx4 on the second weekend. I probably saw 200+ does and 4 little bucks. This was 2 sq. miles in a 24 hour period. I really expected to see a lot less anterless deer from the winter kill reports last year. I saw a lot less deer in the Salt Lake area.

On the Box Elder place I hunted. Cougar hunters found a dead 3 point buck next to the gate this winter, dogs were let loose there and the cougar was found and killed a couple of hundred yards later. They said they saw a few other cats. Too bad they didn't have a couple of more tags.

Doe hunts do not cover an entire region. Box Elder County ususally has a public doe hunt in the agricultural areas, primarily the Bear River Bottoms. I haven't looked at the specific units; however, there has historically been a lot of tags issued in the Bear River Bottoms - 100 or 200/year at least. One of the hunts doesn't even sell out because its mostly private.

Just a little extra info that might help you relax.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-09 AT 11:20AM (MST)[p]I can't understand how you gain 300 elk in the population for Fish Lake, and then add 1,100 tags. How is that supposed to help the herd.
Box Elder gained 900 deer but they want to add nearly 300 more doe tags. Huh???
I know that parts of Box Elder have alot of does, but the area that they were available last year is no where near the areas I saw loaded with does.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom