any good camping areas on the bookcliffs?

Goindeep

I'm planning a scouting trip for elk this summer and I want to bring the family along(my wife and 2 year old son), I was wondering if some of you guys could reccomend a good place to camp. Some place somewhat centrally located in the unit, I plan on doing a lot of driving trying to get acquainted with the area.

I would just go to the South end of Seep Ridge Road. Lots of spots down there and now the road is paved to the end. From there you can go any direction and be in good hunting areas for Elk and Deer.

Seep Ridge Road makes for an easy drive into the Book Cliffs these days. Paved all the way to the Divide Road. There are almost no actual camp sites out there. Its pretty much, find a little flat place and park your trailer there. The intersection of Seep Ridge Road and the Book Cliffs Divide Rd is just about as central as you can get for that time of year. In summer 2013, I saw a dozens and dozens of elk on Seep Ridge Road, before we even got to the intersection with the Divide Road. From that intersection, you can travel east or west on the Divide Road, and can see elk either direction in the early morning hours and late evening.

Which elk tag did you draw..??

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Thanks for the responses, I've been looking around on my map and haven't seen any designated camping areas. I drew the bitter creek archery tag, I wasn't planning on drawing it since I only had 6 points so now I'm kinda scrambling to figure things out.

What do you consider a "good" camping area? If you are in a self-contained trailer, almost anywhere will work for family camping. If you are tenting it, and dependent on installed toilet facilities, you are out of luck for "family" camping.

The lack of family-friendly camping is why I'm switching away from the BookCliffs as my GS spike hunting area. It's a great place for a lot of things, but not young family activities, or general camping if you want any accommodations.

That said, there are some slightly improved spots right along the ridge road, east of where Seep Ridge rd comes to the top. It is nice and shaded in the firs, with fire rings, benches and all. I'd be a little concerned about the lack of restroom facilities, and what others may have used while there. But it is a pretty place. It's nice and central, shaded, not too far from fresh water (PR springs), etc. PR springs is another place if you have a self-contained trailer, and good 4wd to get out if it rains at all.

Heck, if you want centrally located, have a self-contained trailer, why go any further than the level open spots just at the end of the pavement?

There is a lot of area to explore out there. If you are just going to drive, and do nothing more than drive, then perhaps centrally located would be ok. But, if it were me, getting to know the area again, I'd suggest breaking it up into three long weekends. Camp somewhere on McCook Ridge to the east one time to explore there, Rat Hole Ridge, etc. Then another centrally, to explore the central spine, Patterson, Black Horse, and over to Seep Ridge. Then the third to explore the area east of Seep ridge. Even just driving without stepping out to look around, you still might need three weekends+.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom