Any off range oryx tips?

JRABQ

My hunt is coming down to the wire and I have yet to even see one oryx (alive) off range. What worked in the past ain't working this year for me, even burned a few vacation days during the week, no luck. Mostly been hitting the western fence and nearby water from NW corner down to Buckhorn ranch. Some sign of crossings (been tapering off lately), a couple killed that I know of, but I've not been at the right place-right time. Lots on-range from 20 yards to 1/2 mile.

Doubt I can justify another weekday, so it's this weekend or bust. Any other suggestions? PM if you'd prefer.

Thanks,
JR

PM sent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teach your kids to hunt now, and you won't have to hunt for them later.

Had a friend get lucky behind the rock shop in Bingham a few weeks ago. Get up on a high point and glass. He claims they were done by noon on their first day out. Good luck

You know which way is "behind" Bingham? I know there are some hills south towards the fence, but also east, and northeast.

Thanks for the info,
JR

First I want to thank everyone for the suggestions, PMs, and emails, should have asked earlier before the final weekend. Last Saturday I tried around Bingham and started coming down with some type of stomach bug within the first hour of daylight, had to go home, spent rest of weekend in bed. Decided to try it one more time today, plan was to hit my usual spots on NW corner, then head south to some other places suggested. Almost didn't make it cause I only got about 2-1/2 hours of sleep, took all my will power to get out of, and stay out of bed.
Well I was overdue for a break and got one. After a 2 week lack of sign in that particular spot, two of the three first crossings had tracks coming off the range, and none going back, as far as I could tell. Sun was still not quite up, so after glassing 5-10 minutes I took the road going back to the water tank where I thought the oryx might be hanging around. Stopped about 1/2 mile from the tank to take a look, but then caught movement out of corner of my eye in other direction, small group of 4-5 running off at 100-150 yards. Almost took an offhand shot, but grabbed the shooting sticks out of the truck. Settled crosshairs on back of the neck of largest oryx running straight away at 200+ yards. Not a great shot, but all I had, and they were disappearing into the yucca, tried to hit neck or rake backbone. I missed, but for whatever reason the oryx turned 90 degrees to the right (maybe bullet whizzed by left ear?). Anyway, now I had a broadside shot more in the open, albeit running full bore at ~250 yards.

Lucky break #2, put about 1 body length of lead in front of the critter (felt good for some reason, 40 years of duck hunting?). When I pulled the trigger, big thump, oryx cartwheeled into a big cloud of dust, never moved another muscle. Bullet went right in the shoulder, pulverized both legbones just below the shoulder blade. Wow! Later ranged at 245 yards. OK, very happy I hit it, but it was luck to nail it right it the shoulder, and kill it instantly.

Here's a pic, nice cow; 38" X 36-1/4".

7261p1000474_red.jpg

Congrats! Beautiful Gemsbox and a great shot! Those off range Oryx hunts can be tough. I had one a few years ago and wasn't successful. Well done!

Travis

JR, congrats on a tremendous off range animal and connecting on a great shot. Looks like you lead her perfectly.
-Cody

Wow! Way to go! I'd been following your posts as you searched for info...I'm glad you got one and what a beauty it is! I bet it is that much sweeter sine you put in all that time and it came down to the wire!

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

Beautiful!!!!

What a great off range oryx. That is what anyone that draws the off range dreams about.

Really glad it came together for you!!

Couldn't have said it better myself Paul!

Great shooting JR, and a TROPHY off or ON range.

Congrats, enjoy the good eats too.

NMYB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teach your kids to hunt now, and you won't have to hunt for them later.

Very cool story. Way to stick with it.

I had to eat this tag, and it was my own fault. My wife gave birth to a baby boy on the 8th, and we just haven't yet been in a situation where I was comfortable leaving them to chase oryx this month. I didn't quite think the timing through on the baby, but at least I now have a future hunting partner. I've been fortunate enough to have harvested 2 oryx bulls already, and my dad finally drew an OIL tag for this coming season so I still have some oryx hunting to look forward to.

Thanks for sharing the story and your great pic.

Congrats on a great trophy.

Great oryx. I had a tag for this month as well. Went down to my "spot" and shot the first one I saw on the first day of hunting. 80 yard shot. It was nowhere as big as yours, but I was not going to be too picky. I am surprised by how many there are off range. Just about everywhere you go there are tracks. Seems the hardest part of the hunt is getting the tag. hopefully it won't take me another 12 years to draw like it did between my OIL hunt and this off range hunt.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Rabid, congrats on your short hunt. Lots of tracks in the area I was hunting also, but finding tracks with something standing in them took me a looong time, this year anyway. Last year I got lucky and shot one the first morning also, so you never know how it will turn out. But after this year I tend to believe (with a lot of other guys) that many of the oryx hanging around the fence are crossing at night to water and not spending many daylight hours off-range. I don't doubt there are still many less accessible spots where they are living off-range 100% of the time, but I couldn't find any this year.

Congrats, that is a great oryx anywhere, much less for an off range one. Everything feels alittle better once the animal is on the ground.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom