Anyone Hear of a Landowner Getting in trouble for Violating LPP rules?

FrontRange

Just curious, I see tags being offered for sale on-line that sure look like Landowner Vouchers although the advertisements don't come right out and say so. Has anyone heard of a landowner getting busted for violating state law regarding transfering LPP vouchers? I don't really care as I can't afford to buy a Land Owner or RFW tag, just curious.

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hu...vertisement-and-Transfer-Rules-Fact-Sheet.pdf

The regulations are pretty clear, but does the CPW actually enforce?

I haven't heard of it, but yet see websites advertising them... CO don't care as far as I can tell, don't even know why they have that law with no enforcement.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I think they passed the law about 3rd party transactions just to run a few guys out of business and hurt a few others. I think there were a number of locals who got vouchers dirt cheap from neighbors for a while, then others started offering the landowners money for the vouchers and the locals lost them. So then they piled into CDOW meetings and wanted it to be against the law to sell them. I guess in hopes that they could then get the vouchers cheap again because landowners would have fewer resources for trying to find buyers. Of course by the time the law came about, many had lists of landowner names and we're still willing to pay money for the vouchers. In the end, they ran a few guys out of business, cut an income source from a few and made it a little more difficult for landowners to find buyers.
Silly law to grease a squeaky wheel.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook!

>I think they passed the law
>about 3rd party transactions just
>to run a few guys
>out of business and hurt
>a few others. I think
>there were a number of
>locals who got vouchers dirt
>cheap from neighbors for a
>while, then others started offering
>the landowners money for the
>vouchers and the locals lost
>them. So then they piled
>into CDOW meetings and wanted
>it to be against the
>law to sell them. I
>guess in hopes that they
>could then get the vouchers
>cheap again because landowners would
>have fewer resources for trying
>to find buyers. Of course
>by the time the law
>came about, many had lists
>of landowner names and we're
>still willing to pay money
>for the vouchers. In the
>end, they ran a few
>guys out of business, cut
>an income source from a
>few and made it a
>little more difficult for landowners
>to find buyers.
>Silly law to grease a squeaky
>wheel.
>
>Brian Latturner
>MonsterMuleys.com
>LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook!

Founder,

You obviously did not pay much attention to the issue and obviously have no idea why residents, and even no residents spoke up on the issue! For a little perspective, years ago the DOW decided that giving vouchers was a good trade off for landowners who deal with wildlife related issues! As such they were given vouchers to sale as they pleased! The idea was that the landowners could recoup income from the sale of vouchers. At first it worked well, but then there developed this entire 3rd party market, where the few select people would go in and but vouchers in bulk then mark them up and resale! The real issue is those vouchers are for animals owned by the people of COLORADO, they belong to all us. As such the vouchers were never intended to make money for anyone other than the rancher/landowner who received the voucher. Unlike your state the residents did not want to see all hunting slowly get turned into a game of who has the most money can hunt, while a few select that controlled the tags made significant income!

Sorry but the entire voucher system has ruined hunting in COLORADO. It has been a driving factor in point creep, it has been a driving factor in many places closing gates, locking out access, etc.

It was not just a few guys wanting to put someone out of business, it was more about holding the system responsible for what it promised, and when it started and got down a path that was never intended we wanted it fixed!

Sadly the damn asshats at the CPW decided to make everything worse. Including increased tags.

The other kicker is, when you read the law, it really is not the land owner or the voucher seller who gets the worse end of the stick... It is the hunter who buys the voucher!

Elks96, Bravo! You. Nailed it. We don't want to commercialize hunting (any more than it already is) in this state. Tag Pimps Suck.

Some good points, but to say the voucher system ruined the hunting in Colorado is quite a stretch. It is far from ruined and one of the best options out there. It's clear that there are two sides of the story. The last change in the law only did one thing, made the landowners personally get more money from the vouchers. There were folks on these forums that were all for the change saying there will be more vouchers available and at a cheaper price. Have you looked in the tag section. There are more people looking for landowner tags than I have seen in a long time. I also don't like this years increase in tags but you guys in CO don't have it quite as bad as you really think you do.

Rich

Rich

Just to put a different side to the Landowner Voucher Program. Most guys talk like all the landowners want to make money off of the Vouchers they draw. I know some Landowners that have been getting Vouchers for years and have not sold a one of them. They use them for family and friends that didn't draw a tag. So not all landowners are out to make a buck. They just want to hunt every year on land they own with family and friends. Plus the landowners east of I-25 have to use the 10% they get on Private land only and can be used by immediate family or youth only so they most likely don't sell those either but who knows. My point is not all landowner are after the money they just want to go hunting with family and friend like the rest of us. But I am sure some of them want every penny they can get out of them...

Looks like this topic is starting to get a little off-track. I think landowners are entitled to vouchers in limited draw units, they can do with them what they please (use them or sell them). Wasn't to happy when the CPW Special Committee granted a higher percentage to the LPP program, and I think that hunters that buy vouchers should use up their preference points. My main point is that transfer laws are blatantly and openly being broken, but I've never heard of the CPW doing anything about it. Maybe this is the result of a culture emphasized by the top guy who happens to be a landowner/outfitter.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-05-16 AT 09:22AM (MST)[p]Just thought throw this out their ,"land owner voucher"by no means am I against the land owner, if they have crop damage this is means of recoup their loss. Or whatever they wish to do with the money. But what I don't agree with is, some of these unit have turned into a rich mans playground , why buy the land when they can have the hole unit at their disposal.Its also outfitters dream situation. Just saying

If the main purpose of landowner tags is a depredation issue on there property that is being trashed by critters, which I think is BS to begin with. Why are some tags good for the whole unit and not just on the property they own??

>If the main purpose of landowner
>tags is a depredation issue
>on there property that is
>being trashed by critters, which
>I think is BS to
>begin with. Why are some
>tags good for the whole
>unit and not just on
>the property they own??

Sorry FrontRange for off topic but here is some info out of the guide book. The bottom link is useful to answer questions.

Overview:

The Landowner Preference Program (LPP) was created to give landowners a preference for hunting licenses to encourage private landowners to provide habitat that increases wildlife populations for the benefit of all hunters, discourage the harboring of game animals on private lands during public hunting seasons, and relieve hunting pressure on public lands by increasing game hunting on private lands.

http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/LandownerPreference.aspx

The law has always been around ever since the inception of the landowner voucher program. It has just never been enforced. Founder that was the most uninformed post I think I may have ever read on here.

>If the main purpose of landowner
>tags is a depredation issue
>on there property that is
>being trashed by critters, which
>I think is BS to
>begin with. Why are some
>tags good for the whole
>unit and not just on
>the property they own??

Migrating animals. Some properties won't get the animal concentrations until after seasons have closed in the unit. Management-wise I'm really not a huge fan of the restricted vouchers, it's a great way to get young deer shot that may be all that's on a property while the tag is good.

Vouchers should only be allowed for private land only tags.

But vouchers didn't commercialized hunting here, that was done by OTC bull tags for everyone. That and only being a day drive from Texas.

So with the new changes to the LO Voucher system, how does one go about finding a voucher now? I wish I had a list of landowners as mentioned by founder, but unfortunately I do not. I do not think its a bad idea to work directly with Landowners and get them a fair price for their vouchers. But where do you find landowners with vouchers that are looking to sell? Are they listed somewhere? Thanks

Wasn't there a web site set up a few years ago for the purpose of allowing landowners with vouchers the opportunity to market the tags? I believe the site was set up after landowners voiced concerns that they are not marketers and had no means of selling their tags without 3rd parties helping (brokers/outfitters). I visited the site a few times and never found a post by a landowner. I can't even find the site anymore, I think it was through the Colorado Division of Wildlife. Anyone remember this?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-16 AT 10:20PM (MST)[p]Seems like there would be something like that, now that the middlemen/brokers are no longer able to sell them. That was kind of what I was wondering also FrontRange.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom