Anyone willing to share info Unit 66 3rd deer?

kurtski25

If anyone is willing to share any info I'd greatly appreciate it. I've done some research and talked to a few folks that have hunted the unit, I'm really excited about the tag. Anyone willing to PM me with info and I'll do my best to pass on any info that might be helpful to you.
Thanks,
Kurt

congrats on tag. How many points did it take you to draw? Me and my brother were going to put in for 66 3rd season this, but the season dates did not work this year. We drew unit 67 muzzy elk tags instead. Dont know a whole lot about the unit, just that its supose to be able to 10 bucks aday in 3rd season. Good chance of 160-180 mule deer. Good luck

I used 11 pts to get the tag. It's a little more than I needed, but the wait has been killing me and life finally worked out that I'll have the time this fall to spend the time necessary. I hope to see that 180, this is my big chance because North Idaho isn't going to come up with a 180 anytime soon.
Kurt

good to here you drew with 11, my brother and I are 1 point behind you, we now have 11 points hoping to hunt 66 in 2 years!
Im going to let those 180s grow into some 200 inchers.lol

Never been in 66 because I got impatient and had to draw tag so i put in for something else. But I have friends that hunt there every year, one lives there. They do well. The local hunts 2nd cause he can draw it every 3 years. he took a 200+ about 5 years ago. But they had a bad winter 2-3 years ago. The year after the bad winter they only hunted elk but said the deer numbers were down 80%.

Good luck.

I don't know 66 very well, but I have some general advice. Be prepared for cold weather. It's not uncommon to see temps below zero in November. Early snow can push them to lower elevations, but by 3rd season you'll find deer from the lake on up. I shot a buck on opening day of 3rd season in 67 last year, not far from Powderhorn. Weather had been warm and dry. Califelkslayer is right about the bad winter, 80% is a fair estimate.

Thanks for all the tips and advice guys. I'll definitely have the wall tent ready to go and hope for a decent snowfall to push the deer to some lower more accessible country.
Kurt

I'll definitely
>have the wall tent ready
>to go and hope for
>a decent snowfall

NOW THAT'S THE SPIRIT!! p.m sent

Had a friend hunting it last yr 3rd season while we were in the area... Numbers are still hurting, but he did okay. Found what he wanted but it was hung up on private... Shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can be helpful.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom