Aoudad Rifle?

Sierra

Very Active Member
Would you recommend using a 270 or a 300 win mag for an
Aoudad hunt in SE New Mexico? Also, what is the typical distance of shots one would expect to take? 200, 300 or 400 yds?

Thanks!

Either will be fine. I have killed two rams in the last couple years. My shots have been 50 and 70 yards maybe not typical distance but getting within 150 yards isn't too difficult.

Most definitely either one would be perfectly fine. Whichever you shoot better.

It's been my experience that whether or not one carries a rifle in the field doesn't necessarily have any bearing on whether one shoots a Barbary.

I've put in a lot of days lugging a weapon and not seen anything LOL.

But the few I've killed have been 7-feet out to ~180-yards.

270 will work fine............if you're a GIRL!!!! Just kidding. A 270 is more than enough for sheep. A good shot with a .223 will beat a bad shot with a .338 any day of the week. Like previously stated it's more important to hit them right than anything else. I have however observed that they are a little more stout than deer, or elk for that matter, but a 270 will mess them up all the same.

nmarchr has some serious skills beyond us normal nimrods so although it happens, I would caution you about expecting too many opportunities under a 100 yards. More typical is the 200 to 450 yard range--barbs have incredible eye site. The 270 is plenty adequate if you place one in the shoulder similar to where they tell you to hold on oryx. The vitals are a little further forward than what you would hold for on elk or deer. If you hit one too far back you'll see for yourself what people are talking about when they say that barbs appear as tough or tougher to bring down than an elk; I would know... :(

Since you're supposed to hold different than deer/elk, where are you supposed to aim?

>nmarchr has some serious skills beyond
>us normal nimrods so although
>it happens, I would caution
>you about expecting too many
>opportunities under a 100 yards.
> More typical is the
>200 to 450 yard range--barbs
>have incredible eye site.
>The 270 is plenty adequate
>if you place one in
>the shoulder similar to where
>they tell you to hold
>on oryx. The vitals
>are a little further forward
>than what you would hold
>for on elk or deer.
> If you hit one
>too far back you'll see
>for yourself what people are
>talking about when they say
>that barbs appear as tough
>or tougher to bring down
>than an elk; I would
>know... :(

google "where to aim on an oryx" images should give you an idea. Just pretend the oryx in photo is a barbary.

>google "where to aim on an
>oryx" images should give you
>an idea. Just pretend
>the oryx in photo is
>a barbary.

Will do thanks.

Never really understood why people aim behind the shoulder. Where you ?aim for oryx? in my opinion should be where you aim for all animals with a rifle. Break that shoulder and that animal should go down no matter what. I always try to do this and when I do hit the shoulder I have never had to follow up with another shot or track for that matter.

That would be because some of us are old enough to have had it ingrained during our formative years that a bullet to the shoulder needlessly wastes good meat. In the heat of the moment, old ways tend to naturally kick in even though we know better...

My pet rifle is a 300 Win and think it's ideal or Barbary sheep. That being said I killed my sheep a couple years ago with a 6xc at just over 600 yards. Hit them right and they die just like anything else.

+1 for everyone that said either caliber would work. Remember that shot placement will always trump caliber being used. I would figure out what rifle you like best, and spend as much time behind the rifle as you can. Don't forget to shoot at varying distances from different positions. The distance that you can comfortably hit a target from a prone or benched position may be different than a real world hunting position. Good Luck with your hunt!

-Tony

Ray, whichever gun you shoot the best.

Plan on a 400+ yard shot and if it is less, so much the better.

You do not get many chances at least on public land.

Barbary swallow bullets as well or better than any game animal except maybe Oryx. I've seen these animals go and go after getting hammered with well placed shots. Shoot the biggest caliber you're comfortable with and plan on 300-400. I've spent lot's of time after em' and while you can get closer, more often than not you're at about 200 yds.

Like already stated shot placement is key. I shoot a 270 and have killed everything from goats to elk with it. Take out the shoulder and they go no where. I drew a sheep tag this year and I'll be packing the ol 270

Just go "Tim Wells" on the sheep and use a spear!! Tim has killed Cape Buffalo with his spear and I'm quite sure the sheep is not as tough as the buffalo! LOL!

Use what ever rifle you shoot best. Like Paul said, expect and practice for a 400 to 600 yard shot. If the sheep is closer "BONUS" you're ready!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom