App Question

Riggo

I jumped on their new system and purchased pref pts for my son and I today. I was charged $3 for each pt for both deer and elk only...NOT the full tag fee as we've all been faced with for years prior. Obviously I'm concerned as I'm coming up to the deadline. I was charged the $10 for the new habitat fee however. Would the full costs be charged to the cc later when the actual draw happens? I tried calling several times and had busy signal and then asked the CPW email question with no response as well yet so???

Thanks in advance for any advice. Always appreciate

Riggo

Is the reason you applied this year because of the new pay structure?

#livelikezac

LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-18 AT 12:30PM (MST)[p]Yes, that's the way I understand it, you will be charged for everything else when the draw happens. New this year.

If you both applied for deer and Elk it will be cheaper for you to go online now and purchase a 2017 fishing license annual. The annual license is $56 the two preference points are $80 for each of you. Not a huge savings but tank of gas. But make sure you buy the annual 2017 fishing license not 2018

#livelikezac

I have a question. I should know this, but I always have a 2nd pick and haven't run into it.

Instead of putting in for a point which you always have to pay full price for. What if he puts in for a hunt and fails at the pick and has no 2nd pick. He gets the point for failing at the 1st pick, but does he still pay for getting the point?

OK, Very Good. I suppose it's a nice change that they're not holding onto tag fees for a couple months right? I do have the annual fishing license from last summer family trip so that'll take care of me anyway.

In regards to the above question, I'm not sure. But if that was the case I'd think there'd be a whole lot of folks doing it that way to gain the pt w/o the fee.

Thanks Again!!

Riggo

LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-18 AT 02:13PM (MST)[p]

Muley. Yes, you will be charged the $40 point fee if you put in for a tag but don't draw and therefore get a point. That is true whether you just apply for a point, or fail to draw a tag you put in for.

However, if you fail to draw your first choice, but draw your second choice, you will receive a point AND a tag and won't be charged for the point, only the charge for the tag when drawn

But, if you put in for both deer and elk, and draw one but not the other, you will be charged $40 for the point you receive on the one you didn't draw even though you will have a tag for this coming fall for the other species.

Got all that straight?? LOL

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I think you will be charged for your point this year if you draw your 2nd choice, but next year because you had a tag this year would not be charged for the point. I could be wrong though.

No, that is not correct. You won't be charged for THAT SPECIES if you draw this year. I included all info about points, but the first sentence answers that question:

▶ HOW IT WORKS. If you do not hold an active 2017 annual* or biggame
license, OR do not receive a license through the draw for the
species, you will be charged $40 PER SPECIES (for deer, elk, pronghorn
and bear), for which you get a preference point. This fee applies to
residents and nonresidents, except for resident deer or pronghorn:
Residents getting deer or pronghorn preference points will be
charged only $30 for each of those. For example: If a nonresident
(who isn't exempt from the fee) receives a point for all four species,
they will be charged $160. A resident would be charged $140.
▶ HOW TO AVOID IT. If you don't want to pay the fee, you have until
March 31, 2018, to purchase a 2017 annual fishing, annual small
game, annual resident combination fishing and small game, or
resident senior fishing license. Customers are also exempt if they
held any big game license the previous year, or draw a license of the
same species as which they would be charged the point in the current
year.
* ANNUAL LICENSES INCLUDE: annual fishing, annual small game, annual
resident combination fishing and small game, or resident senior fishing
license. Any returned, refunded or surrendered licenses do not qualify.
▶ HOW WILL I BE CHARGED FOR IT? If you are required to pay the
preference point fee, it will be charged to the credit card you
have on file in your CPW account (see page 16) after the draw.
For example, if you're a resident who is not exempt from the fee
and apply for a deer license or preference point and do not draw,
you will be charged the $30 preference point fee after the draw.

txhunter58

LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-18 AT 03:29PM (MST)[p]You will still be charged THIS YEAR for any points for other species you receive, but the tag you draw THIS YEAR will keep you from paying for points at all NEXT YEAR no matter how many you apply for.

Yes, it is confusing

txhunter58

>LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-18
>AT 02:13?PM (MST)

>
>
>
>
>
>Muley. Yes, you will be
>charged the $40 point fee
>if you put in for
>a tag but don't draw
>and therefore get a point.
> That is true whether
>you just apply for a
>point, or fail to draw
>a tag you put in
>for.
>
>However, if you fail to draw
>your first choice, but draw
>your second choice, you will
>receive a point AND a
>tag and won't be charged
>for the point, only the
>charge for the tag when
>drawn
>
>But, if you put in for
>both deer and elk, and
>draw one but not the
>other, you will be charged
>$40 for the point you
>receive on the one you
>didn't draw even though you
>will have a tag for
>this coming fall for the
>other species.
>
>Got all that straight?? LOL
>.
>
>txhunter58
>
>venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore
>I am)

Kind of what I thought, but wasn't sure. Thanks.

I hate to bring this up again, but I just got off the phone with the DOW.

First off i'm a resident and have hunting tags and fishing license going back a long way.

So, my question was. If I put in for a tag and only have a 1st pick and fail I get a point, but what do I pay? It seems I was being told i'd pay $40 in this thread. Unless I misunderstood. That's not true. I pay nothing for that point, except the $3.00 I paid for application.

This appears to be another loophole. If you're buying points every year you don't have to. Just put in for a tag you know you'll never get because it requires too many point and make sure you have no 2nd pick. You'll fail in the draw and get a point but only be charged $3.00.

This is providing you have a hunting tag or fishing license for the previous year. Probably applies to residents more than non-residents.

Muley, if you did not hold a colorado big game license or fishing license last year, you WILL be charged $40 for the point. If you DID have a colorado license last year you will only be charged $3.

>Muley, if you did not hold
>a colorado big game license
>or fishing license last year,
>you WILL be charged $40
>for the point. If you
>DID have a colorado license
>last year you will only
>be charged $3.

Yes, that's what I said. I'm talking about those hunters who did hold a previous license who don't put in for a draw but buy a point.

I've never bought a point outright. What do they cost?

>>Muley, if you did not hold
>>a colorado big game license
>>or fishing license last year,
>>you WILL be charged $40
>>for the point. If you
>>DID have a colorado license
>>last year you will only
>>be charged $3.
>
>Yes, that's what I said. I'm
>talking about those hunters who
>did hold a previous license
>who don't put in for
>a draw but buy a
>point.
>
>I've never bought a point outright.
>What do they cost?

NOTHING IF YOU HELD A 2017 LICENSE!

#livelikezac

DW.......So, if someone puts in for just a point. They only pay the $3.00 fee?

I always here non-residents complaining about having so much money invested in their points. I assumed they were paying a lot for points.

Oh well. What the hell do I know? I've hunted Colorado since the 50's and went though a bunch of law changes but don't know the laws that don't apply to me. I do the same thing every year and always get my tags. I don't think about points very often.

Ok, just ignore the old fart. I love to hunt but i'm not the one to ask about new regs.

Yes. Anyone who held a license for last year, resident or nonresident, will not pay for a point and just be charged $3 app fee

The nonresidents you hear complaining about having so much invested in points are guys who don't hunt. They just collect points. I am a nonresident that hunts every year and have NEVER paid for a point.

txhunter58

>DW.......So, if someone puts in for
>just a point. They only
>pay the $3.00 fee?
>
>I always here non-residents complaining about
>having so much money invested
>in their points. I assumed
>they were paying a lot
>for points.
>
>Oh well. What the hell do
>I know? I've hunted Colorado
>since the 50's and went
>though a bunch of law
>changes but don't know the
>laws that don't apply to
>me. I do the same
>thing every year and always
>get my tags. I don't
>think about points very often.
>
>
>Ok, just ignore the old fart.
>I love to hunt but
>i'm not the one to
>ask about new regs.

If they held a 2017 license the fee is only $3 correct. The loophole, if you will, is purchasing the annual small game or fishing license for 2017. That saves you the $40 per species Point fee if you didn't have a 2017 big game tag. Good luck this fall Muley!

#livelikezac

>>DW.......So, if someone puts in for
>>just a point. They only
>>pay the $3.00 fee?
>>
>>I always here non-residents complaining about
>>having so much money invested
>>in their points. I assumed
>>they were paying a lot
>>for points.
>>
>>Oh well. What the hell do
>>I know? I've hunted Colorado
>>since the 50's and went
>>though a bunch of law
>>changes but don't know the
>>laws that don't apply to
>>me. I do the same
>>thing every year and always
>>get my tags. I don't
>>think about points very often.
>>
>>
>>Ok, just ignore the old fart.
>>I love to hunt but
>>i'm not the one to
>>ask about new regs.
>
>If they held a 2017 license
>the fee is only $3
>correct. The loophole, if you
>will, is purchasing the annual
>small game or fishing license
>for 2017. That saves you
>the $40 per species Point
>fee if you didn't have
>a 2017 big game tag.
>Good luck this fall Muley!
>
>
>
>#livelikezac

Thanks, same to you this fall.

Does anyone know if the previous year license applies to moose, sheep, and goat or do you have to pay the $40 for a point for those species.

No point fees if you held a 2017 annual fishing, annual small game, or any big game license.

#livelikezac

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom