Archery 1000 Lakes

How goes it,
I drew the Plateau-Thousand Lakes Archery tag for the 07' season last year. And after years of hunting the general archery season along with tens of thousands of other hunters year after year...it was the best hunt I've ever had! Not only is the country absolutley gorgeous, a true desert mountain...it's also home to plenty of good deer. From the 3 months prior to the start of the season, up until the day I harvested my buck...we were cosntantly seeing deer, all over the place. It was fun to just see a lot of deer for a change, does & fawns...and quite a good number of decent bucks too.

Thousand Lakes doesn't have any "Monster" bucks...like we all hope to harvest one day and find ourselves on the cover of "Trophy Hunter" with. However the unit does have plenty of great & respectable bucks. Bucks that I think any hunter would be proud to harvest, at least I would be. While scouting for my hunt last year, the majority of the bucks that I had spotted were around the 24-26" range. An incredible amount of really solid 3x3's...like the one I harvested. However I also saw about 8 really good typicals that would probably score in the 160-170's...and one really great typical that looked to be about 29-30" wide.

A few years ago, one of my best friends drew the Thousand Lakes Muzzleloader tag as well. He ended up taking a beautiful 28" wide 3x4, with great length and decent mass...the buck ended up scoring 183. The other thing that I loved about my archery hunt, was the fact that the entire time I was there...I only saw one other hunter, that's it! I was also stopped by a DWR officer and had my tag checked...so be sure to have it on you.

Congrats on drawing the tag...take advantage of it. Both my dad and father-in-law have been putting in for that tag for quite a few years now, and still haven't been lucky enough to draw. I actually drew my archery tag with only 2 points! Have fun, and good luck to you!!!

Here is a photo of my 07' Thousand Lakes Buck:
IMG_5432_a.jpg

STICK-FLICKER...Silent, But Deadly
-Buckhorn Archers (Castle Dale, UT)
-Timpanogos Archers (Orem, UT)
-Hell Hole Archers (Big Piney, WY)
[email protected]

Good luck, There isn't many but a few really good bucks down there. I hope you can connect with one of them.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom