Archery aim point at steep angle

huntFX4

My 14 y/o son missed a 40 yard shot today steep downhill. I have a Nikon prostaff 7i which has angle declination and we double checked it's accuracy. He shoots 5-6 inch groups at 40 in practice but shot over this deer's back. There isn't any need to aim lower when shooting steep angles is there?
I think it was bad form because he was in a crouch and hadn't practiced that much from crouch. He said he was a bit unsteady.

Thanks in advance.

Are you sure the buck didn't duck when the bow went off? The doe I shot this morning ducked a little and she was only 20 yards ??‍♂️

>Are you sure the buck didn't
>duck when the bow went
>off? The doe I shot
>this morning ducked a little
>and she was only 20
>yards ??‍♂️

Deerkiller I saw your doe. Nice going. He was shooting at a doe too with the Settlement Canyon doe tag. I didn't get to see the shot as I watched the deer feed behind a finger while he made a move on her but he did say she ducked a little.

Simple geometry, gravity effects work only for base distance of an angle., imagine a line straight up to your level. Either up or down the distance is shorter. Draw a triangle and look at it that way.

My range finder is accurate and accounts for the angle to give accurate horizontal distance. Are you saying use the 35 pin because of string jumping?

I find that my range finder doesn't compensate enough for the bow. Works at longer distances with a rifle but if it is real steep I subtract 10% more. Found that out shooting 3d targets on some steep hills.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-19 AT 07:39AM (MST)[p]As mentioned, several things could have caused the miss, but I think the most likely thing was the crouch. Whether shooting up or down at an animal, in order to keep your practiced form, you need to bend at the waist, not the back or shoulders and it sounds like he didn't do that. In any case, he should try practicing from a treestand or ladder.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-19 AT 09:26AM (MST)[p]You could just reshoot at a similar distance and angle and then you would know. Lots can happen in the heat of the moment.
And he needs to know what happened before he gets another shot if he needs to change something!

I replied to your post in the archery forum. Didn't know you posted here as well.

In any case, in addition to the above suggestions, be sure that all 3 axis adjustments on your son's bow sight are level...most especially the 3rd. If that is not level, then all angled shots will be off.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-19 AT 11:29AM (MST)[p]All, thanks for the replies. I'm going to double check his 3rd axis just to be sure. I have had him practicing from both knees and one knee, but not a crouch as that's just not a good position. I know that crouch had him a little shaky and I let him know you can't take a shot that's not steady. That's how animals are wounded. He knows not to do that again. We will be going out after checking the 3rd axis and try some target practice. He knows to bend at the waist as I had him practice that form but it was probably hard from a crouch. I'll let you know how these new checks go.

shooting uphill or downhill you need to aim low. When I was a kid my Grandpa would tell me to aim low when shooting uphill, it just didn't compute in my head. It seemed to me if you were shooting uphill you would have to aim high.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom