Archery Bookcliffs or Vernon?

P

Pulverizer

Have enough points to draw either. Which would you try? PM's are fine.

Steve

What unit is closer to where you live. For me the Vernon unit because i only live 30 min. from it. But for my freinds the books is closer so they would rather hunt it. I would go with the one you can scout more so you make the best of the 9 years of putting in.

Yeah, I here ya. I was thinking the same thing. I live closer to Vernon so I could scout it more and probably hunt it more as well. I would probably have to take a whole bunch of work off and spend a week or so in the Books to make it worth going there. Many have told me that I would have a better chance at a decent buck with archery equipment in the Book Cliffs than I would in Vernon though. Not sure about that. I have not hunted the Book Cliffs since it was three point or better and have never hunted Vernon. Decisions, decisions!

Steve

I have good info that the Vernon sucks this year. They moved all the mature bucks to the Book Cliffs.

I am in the same dilema. As you can see I am leaning towards the Vernon.

books. I filmed a hunt on vernon this year and i was un impressed with it.

I have only been to Vernon 5-10 times, but have yet to see a big deer on it. Been to the books a few times more, never seen a monster but have seen tons of 160-180 class bucks. My choice would be the books for the sheer amount of bucks you can see.

i agree you should hunt close to home and if it matters i was on the vernon on a coyote hunt in November and saw a bruser of a buck close to the 200 mark that was pretty impressive. on_target

Books for the number of deer and everything I have heard is that the Books are a much better archery hunt. Vernon can be real tough with the bow.

Vernon is a fun hunt and dont let anybody tell ya there arent big bucks i missed two monsters and seen three in june that were huge i never found em during my hunt. I was into 30-40 deer a day its a riot out there alot of opportunities at decent to good bucks most people i saw out there hunted it pretty lazy I hunted my a@@ off the whole time killed a 140 buck on a water hole I didnt have as much vacation as i needed. The bucks I missed were 180 type or better. The only down side is there are alot of big 2 and 3 points. The book cliffs ive never been there but ive seen some good deer that have come off the books.
But if you wanna kill a big buck on the vernon your gonna hunt your guts out if you draw and you want a little help ill give ya a hand.

wstrntines, thanks for the report I appreciate it. Your problem is potentially the same for me. Vacation time. I think I could spend more time in Vernon being closer to home with a shorter drive also.
I have seen pics of some bucks taken out there and some seem to be way up high on the mountains and others down in the cedars. Are the deer scattered all over or concentrated in certain spots. Pm me if you would rather, to talk about it. I'd like to learn more before I spend the points.

Thanks, Pulv

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom