archery elk draw unit

• Thread starter northwesthunter
  • Start date
N

northwesthunter

I have read the post on Mt Emily deer draw but what about for elk , specifically archery hunting. As a nonres the chance of drawing a wenaha tag is zilch and walla walla is not much better so should a guy hang on and wait for mt emily as his best option as a nonres? My brother and I have will have 7 points this year and want to wait for a good unit and get to hunt it the same year. I don't foresee Oregon becoming more nonres friendly in the future with more tag numbers but who knows. We hope to be able to draw a tag in the next 3 years somewhere with opportunity at 300 class bulls. Ideas?? nwhunter

There are plenty of units in Oregon you can buy an over the counter archery tag for even as a NR and have a chance at 300 class bulls. the top quality tags are years away if you only have 7 points, but you can still put in for the draw and build points while you're hunting. with this over the counter system you probaby won't get lonely if you're in a decent area is the draw back, all the rifle hunters who don't draw head to WalMart buy a bow and become overnight bow hunters. 7 points will get you a decent draw rifle tag though if you decide to go that route.

I know that there are good over the counter hunts available and that is an option to consider but I was trying to decide what to do about the special permit decision and and points building. For an archery permit I didn't think we were that many years away for mt emily, I was thinking 3-4 years? Idaho is a good option, we went there last year and learned some country but weren't successful. Thanks nwhunter

northwest, I have 9 elk points, as does my son. We both apply for Mr. Emily archery and I figure that WE are about 3-4 years away from drawing. I hate to say it, but I'm gonna guess you'll have a longer wait than 3-4 years if you want to draw Mt. Emily.

Oregon does not manage for great elk hunting. The big 3 units are good only because there were very low calf survival rates. Thus it allowed the mature bulls to grow. look at the ODFW statistics and you will see that there are very low number of calves surviving.

What has happened is that the young bulls have not survived, be it predators or poor feed. The mature animals have been surviving pretty well. This is just an example...If you have 12 calves per 100 cows and IF ( BIG IF ) 50 % were bull calves you only have 6 new bull calves per 100 cows. And if any of those bull calves are shot in a spike hunt....see where I am coming from? I am not good explaining things on a computer because I cant type well.

Back
Top Bottom