archery elk help?

Utah400Elk

Very Active Member
I am a NR with 13 points for elk. I have spent several weeks combined in unit 1 and 27. I have a lifetime goal of a 350 class bull archery. According to the draw odds on MM I am a few years from unit 9 (with point creep I would guess three to four). I have a shot at unit 10 and think I am near a 23 south tag. I also think I can draw unit 1. I am DIY and would be going on several scouting trips if I draw. For the AZ residents, what unit would be the best experience and still offer a good chance at a 350 bull. The hunting experience is most important but I also want to be in a unit where a 350+ is a realistic goal. I know most AZ units have 350 class bulls. I have hunted in Utah, New Mexico (on the AZ border by 1 and 27), Wyoming and Colorado. My best bull to date is 344. Any help would be great.

1 or 27 should be a sure draw with 13 points. I think they are increasing the unit 1 archery tags by 95 next year.

Remember the precip levels as well when choosing your AZ elk unit. With lots of moisture at the right times most AZ units can produce a 350 bull, but be careful burning that many points on a dry year. It can be tough with the earlier draw dates. Good luck. BH1

UTAH400.....VERY INTERESTING ABOUT THE POINT CREEP....I AM NOT SEEING A LOT OF CREEP IN THE CURRENT NUMBERS COUNTING 2010 NUMBERS AS WELL. I AM SITTING ON 14 POINTS AS A NR BULL ELK HUNTER.......AND HOPE TO DRAW THE TAGS REAL SOON (BY 20012) I HOPE. GOOD LUCK IN THE DRAW.........YD.

Yukon:

I always seem to be a day late and a dollar short so I am guessing there will be point creep. I have always wanted to archery hunt unit 1 but I am now wondering if 9 would live up to the hype? I have looked into 10 and wonder why the success is so much lower than 1 and 9. Unit 23 is an unknown to me but I have heard good things. Do any residents know why the success for archery is so much lower in 10?

Unit 10 is HUGE and the elk are much more spread out, it is also pretty rugged. On dry hot years the rut can be very marginal.

I would say that unit 1 is a good bet, the rut is usually very reliable there and a 350 bull is very reasonable with some preseason scouting and enough time to hunt. I honestly haven't ever heard of anyone having a bad hunt in Unit 1.

Is the archery hunt in 23 still only the south portion? That hunt can be good but is also fairly rugged. I haven't hunted 23 but I know that when we have hunted 22 early the rut can be impacted by heat.

I am thinking I will go with unit 1 the year after next year but I am also thinking of holding out for unit 9. My son will turn 3 this Decmeber and if I go in two years he will be 4 about to turn five. I would like him toi go and hear the elk enjoy the camp. In two years I will have 15 and I think I would be close to 9.

With 13 this year you're essentially guaranteed a unit 1 archery tag. Only 1 person ahead of your group that didn't draw.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom