Archery Kaibab Kills!!

You're spot on Stan! I really don't know what the management strategy is up on the Kaibab North anymore. Sad indeed.

BOHNTR )))---------->

BOHNTR, I think all archery hunters should bow hunt deer at the Kaibab this year, what do you think. 100 hunters for every buck, yeah, that sounds good. Think I am going to start a rumour to how good the archery hunting is there. I can spread word on lots of site's. Here is the first one. Kaibab is expecting a lot of whoppers this year, and many smaller 28" 4 points. Might have to issue "Two" buck tags for every hunter. The season will be extented to seven weeks long. The herd needs to be trimmed by at least 2000 bucks. AZFG request your assistance with this problem. Please help them out and plan to hunt the Kaibab this archery season. So what ya think ? Did I sugar coated too musch, should I add more ?

Sugar coat? Not at all amigo.......heck that's basically what I read everytime I look at posts regarding the Bab' on other sites....how great it is. :)

I sure wish folks could have hunted there when it was good so they could see the difference. It's truly a sad affair, because the plateau has the genetics and potential to be a quality hunt again if managed stirctly for that. As you know, I bowhunted it for over 20 years straight but haven't returned since 2004. It's just not what it used to be and there are truly better areas. But, spread the word......it should take pressure off of other areas. :)

BOHNTR )))---------->

Trimmed by 2000 bucks!!! that is pretty hilarious.

I know a few AZ organizations that are putting together some thoughts for the AZGFD this weekend. Hopefully they will listen to these people and reconsider all the extra tags this year.

Maybe one day it will get back to the good ol'e days like Roy remembers.

Taking the presure and draw odds out of other areas was what I was thinking !

Blacknight, sorry to rob your post,, anyone out there with pictures of those fork horns !

I'll second that Blackknight, sorry about the twist to your post. Post em' boys and let's see them!

BOHNTR )))---------->

LAST EDITED ON Apr-17-07 AT 05:06PM (MST)[p]Thats ok! I was sure that subject was gonna come up sooner or later! You are right about no having a whole lot of bucks up there but I usually see a big one every year. I hit a nice one but wasnt the greatest shot either. I think I hit him high thus loosing the blood trail. He was with six other bucks in a row coming out of the canyon at first light!

This is probably what your looking for! I've posted this guy before but thought it fit the bill. I use to hunt the Kaibab with archery and gun all the time. In 1988 I had my first late season west side gun tag and took a 24" 3x3. In 1990 I had my second late season west side gun tag and took a 164" 4x4. In 1991 I took this velvet muley (176 3/8") on the west side on opening day. I had seen some large bucks the year before on a heavily used trail the last day of the season. I saw the perfect tree for an ambush and set up the following year for opening day. My hunt lasted 45 minutes. An old timer said that this would probably be the best buck I would ever take with a bow. At the time we were seeing much larger deer ever time out of camp and I thought to myself that I would get a much bigger buck in the next year or so. I was starting to figure out how to hunt the Kaibab. Little did I know that the Kaibab days were numbered. Every year after 1991 we started to see fewer big bucks and fewer deer all together. We also started to see way more people. It use to be my favorite place on earth to get away. There's just too many hunters any more and too few deer. I figure that they just took too many does in the early 90's. They basically decimated the heard with all the doe hunts in that time period. Game and fish said that they needed to take the does because 3 out of 4 does were dry. BS! The does I was seeing all had twins. I tried to hunt a few times at the end of the 90's but it just wasn't the same. I'm sure I'll find my way back up there some day though. I just can't stay away for ever or continue to live in the past. That old man just might have been right!!!
1991Muley.jpg

Great Photo Carl! I want to say thank you to all who have posted on this topic. This place that was once great back in its time, will always have a place in my heart. Wether or not I have taken a good deer or not. I am going to pursue this place because it has so much history that I want to be a part of it and know people like Bohntr(Roy),Cpugsie(Carl), the boys from San Diego (Bobby Foggleson, Bob Stewart, Clyde, Dave, the Fire Dept Hunters who camp near me, and much much more. People who I have meet personally out in the field or at camp and even over this website. These guys will go down in history with my memories. Let me say this, for those of you who enjoy going up to the Kaibab, why dont we try to make it this year. Lets meet each other and get to know one another. I do this every year. I meet so many old & new friends. When I leave that archery season, I am already thinking about next year!!! Let me know or send me a PM!!! Keep those photos coming!!!

Awesome buck!! It will be hard to top that buck!! The Kaibab does have potential to come back with less rifle hunters. I'm tired of the excuses they make every year about why they have to harvest so many does. Maybe one day they will realize how easy it would be to turn the Kaibab back into a trophy quality hunt...

LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-07 AT 10:55PM (MST)[p]I saw the proposal for deer season this year and they want to increase buck tags on the early hunts, increase the youth doe hunt and add two more general doe hunts. WHAT THE ... They just don't get it!

Thanks for the comments!

Here is one I got a few years ago, the best pic we got of the buck was one that I took with my hunting buddy that helped me bag the buck.

463439bb5ad59a52.jpg

jdh

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom