are bows that good

257nut

i saw a hunting show on tv last week where they were bow hunting antelope. they actually shot and killed antelope with a bow at one houndred and twenty and one houndred and thirty yards out. i have a hard time shooting a rifle with iron sights at that far. are these new bows that good. when he did hit that antelope it looked like most of the arrow didn't penatrate.

I AM STILL AMAZED AT HOW FAST ARROWS WILL KILL WHEN THEY DONT PENETRATE MUCH.......AND YES I KNOW GUYS MAKING KILL SHOTS AT 100 YARDS WITH CONFIDENCE. IMPRESSIVE.............YD.

LAME, LAME, LAME! Or should I say SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!

I have no problem with peole shooting targets at any range they want to, but not at live game! This isn't about how far is too far, it's about respect for the animal. Being able to make long shots on paper or foam means nothing in the field. At that distance all it take is one slight step, one twist, one puff of wind and a good shot is turned into a crippling one. At those ranges there is just too much bad that can happen in between release and impact, even with a well executed shot. Irresponsible! And I hate seeing that kind of thing on TV.

+1 BigPig

I also question the reasoning behind shooting at animals that far with archery equipment. It's about getting close and outwitting them on their own turf. Be it out of a tree stand or spot and stalk. I could shoot at 3 or 4 bucks a day at 80 to 100 yards, it's that last 50 or 60 yards that is the toughest to get within an ethical range. These are the reasons I Archery hunt, otherwise I would just pick up a rifle because lob shooting isn't what archery is all about. As BigPig stated I don't have an issue with target practice out to those distances, shoot at a Coue?s deer and see what happens that far out. They can jump a fast bow string at 40 yards. Just too much can go wrong.

GBA

+2 BigPig

Part of the problem though is the game depts set the minimum arrow weight to low. Out of my 60lb bow I hunt with 450 grainers and my last pin is set at 80yds. Do I shoot at animals at 80, no way, 60 or less is more like it but I do practice out to 80. Now I know if I went down to the minimum arrow weight about 300 grs, that bottom pin would become a 100yd or more pin. With that light arrow also comes crappy penetration and wounds more animals, 100yds or not. IMO, if the game depts set a minimum arrow weight of 400grs that would more than likely be the end of this crap.

I go back and forth on this subject. Getting 30 yard shots at mule deer in the Arizona desert is simply not the norm. I can count on one finger how many times I've been that close to a mature buck in the desert on a stalk. But... I always get as close as humanly possible, thats the point of bow hunting. You need to know your game and know how to read a situation. You need to understand your games comfort zone. How far into the hunt are you? How much pressure are the deer getting? They will react different depending on how much pressure they are getting. I am not opposed to taking and 80 yard shot. I know that I can make that shot IF the situation is right. The thing is the unforseen can happen at 20 just as easily as it can happen at 90.

I would actually rather take a long shot on a buck staring at me during the rut than a shot where he doesn't know I'm there. How many times have you seen a buck standing still during the rut? More often than not... he's moving. If you're at 80 yards in this senerio and he's staring at you, he is probably pretty sure he can get away from you if you make a predatory move. Granted he won't be there long though. If its early in the hunt and the deer have little pressure, they are going to stand there alot longer than later in the hunt.

For me...I can't imagine a shot past 80 yards on any animal.... except maybe a sloth. I'm just not good enough to do it. At 80 I'm in the pie plate, at 90 I start getting just outside of that.

Also, G&F won't be able to come up with anything to stop long shots. 400 grains would'nt stop me from having 7 pins on my sight. I'm still well over 300 fps with a 400 grain arrow. Guys will always push the limits no matter what laws are in place.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

Did you just say you would rather shoot at an buck that is staring straight at you? I assume you mean broadside as well. Either way, I would always prefer to be there without them knowing I was there.

The problem with hunting shows is the fact that they do not have to show everything that happens. They may have wounded several deer at 50-100 yards before they killed the two at 120, and maybe a couple in between.

Then there are other shows that I cant believe they show on TV. Once I saw Craig Morgan wound an antelope with a crossbow and not care too much about it; just excited to go shoot another one. He then shot 96 yards and ricocheted the arrow 6 feet in front of the antelope and stuck it in the front shoulder. The antelope made 75 yard circle and went down. He kept saying " I cant believe I just made a 96 yard shot, I did not know that was possible!" He then went on to miss yet again on a young muley. At the end of the episode, after he knew for sure that it was a ricochet he says "In case you missed it, that was a 96 yard shot!" I had it on DVR so I was able to watch it in slow motion and the ricochet was obvious.

Here's the problem - there are no (or at least few) absolutes! The original post questioned a 120 & 130 yard shot. Fair enough, I think (almost) everyone would agree that's outrageous.

But then someone chimes in with yeah, but 80 is ok (staring straight at you no less). Someone else says 50 yards max for me, etc, etc.

It is impossible to say any certain yardage is the max for all hunters, all different archery tackle and all different hunting situations.

In the end, it's archery hunting and the point is to stalk or ambush the animal at "close" range. That should be your goal and you have to be ethical enough to not push the limits of your skill, equipment or the situation if you fail to accomplish that goal.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-12 AT 04:33PM (MST)[p]Just because your bow will shoot that far doesn't mean that you should. I find it hard to believe that someone shooting at that range could see well enough to pick a spot and fling and arrow with any degree of accuracy. I wouldn't do it.

At that range it would take an arrow from even the fastest bow a full second to reach its target... one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand. That is an eternity! A target won't move, animals will.

It's great to hear that at least all of us are in agreement that 'long range' archery shots on game animals is not wise or warranted. What really disgusts me is when I hear people say that they will only shoot 50 yards on a bull elk, but shoot 80 yards on a cow with no problem. What a terrible mindset to think that a cow, doe or an antelope is less valued than a bull elk. It may not be a 'trophy' to some folks but they should still be respected.

When I read the post from AZWALKER -
"I would actually rather take a long shot on a buck staring at me during the rut than a shot where he doesn't know I'm there.", I took it to mean that the deer was looking at him. He never used the word 'straight'. Just adding that one word brings to mind a buck looking head on. I don't believe that is what he was stating. Just my thoughts.

My favorite is the guy that's 5'7" and makes the 300+fps claim and shooting at animals over 100yrds.

Traditional >>>------->

> i saw a hunting
>show on tv last week
>where they were bow hunting
>antelope. they actually shot
>and killed antelope with a
>bow at one houndred and
>twenty and one houndred and
>thirty yards out. i
>have a hard time shooting
>a rifle with iron sights
>at that far. are these
>new bows that good.
>when he did hit that
>antelope it looked like most
>of the arrow didn't penatrate.
>

To answer your question "YES" Bows are really that good. However simply put "its not the arrow, its the Indian" (I heard that from Jason Amaro at the NM Sportsman)

The bow will always be that good, but the Indian behind the bow has to be better to make the bow that good.

Just because the latest and greatest technology is getting better and better each year, doesnt mean that you are getting better and better each year. It is the hunters responsibility to better him or herself to beable to handle the equipment.

YOU'RE FAT!! DON'T TRY AND SUGAR COAT IT OR YOU WILL EAT THAT TOO!!

Hard topic.

most animals I have shoot (99%) are under 35 yards. I once had a bull step on me at 32yds and closed up the quartering away shot so that it turned into a 3hr dry track job, even with a 540gr arrow. Things do happen.

Yet I just got back from a Persian Ibex hunt where I took a 113yd shot. Would have loved to get closer, but some species and zones just won't allow it. The only animal I know of that was harvested was taken at 130yds. And when you talk to the NM game warden or Biologist; they will tell you bluntly- practice at 100 yards.
(fwiw, I did 'lighten up' to a 432gr arrow, lol)

To answer the question: Yes, properly tuned bows are that good. But I have seen hunters miss a barn from the inside with a 1/2moa rifle too!

>My favorite is the guy that's
>5'7" and makes the 300+fps
>claim and shooting at animals
>over 100yrds.
>
>
>Traditional >>>------->

I am 5'6"(on a good day)have chronographed the arrow out of my Bowtech Patriot (330IBO) and my 412 grain arrow flies at 252FPS. That is will 2.5" Quickspin vanes. That guy is stretching it a bit...

Unfortunately everyone that hunts is entitled to shoot at game at whatever distance they choose. It doesnt really matter if they feel comfortable with it or not. Everyone must make the choice for him/herself.

if u can make the shot shoot. if u cant don't shoot. there is your answer. this time of year shooting every couple of weeks my max bow range would be 40 yards and rifle 700 yards. but if i knew i could make the shot at any range i would take it. to each his own. dont judge.

>LAME, LAME, LAME! Or should
>I say SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!
>
>
>I have no problem with peole
>shooting targets at any range
>they want to, but not
>at live game! This
>isn't about how far is
>too far, it's about respect
>for the animal. Being
>able to make long shots
>on paper or foam means
>nothing in the field.
>At that distance all it
>take is one slight step,
>one twist, one puff of
>wind and a good shot
>is turned into a crippling
>one. At those ranges
>there is just too much
>bad that can happen in
>between release and impact, even
>with a well executed shot.
> Irresponsible! And I
>hate seeing that kind of
>thing on TV.

Well said

I killed a deer 2 yrs ago with a 47lb longbow at 36yds. It wasnt my ideal shot. It just happened real quick and I didnt think he was that far out. It was a lucky shot and one i wont be repeating. My only saving grace is that is 47lbs at 31in. Even if you can kill game at 120yds with a compound im not changing. I love those traditional bows.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom